Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18

Author Topic: A succession game for first-timers and/or new players. [Now with more tantrums.]  (Read 26883 times)

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
Re: A succession game for first-timers and/or new players.
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 10:41:28 pm »

tip: dont use print screen, use snipping tool.  its easier and you dont have to do all the cropping and stuff.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

Fievreux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 10:41:47 pm »

@Flandre: I wasn't going to Dorf--at least not in the beginning. If a dwarf comes along with skills that befit a bookkeeper I will name him/her Flandre. Let's hope s/he gets along with the Markswarf Reimu. :x I can put you on the list of players if you'd like.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 10:44:30 pm by Fievreux »

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2011, 11:03:08 pm »

@Flandre: I wasn't going to Dorf--at least not in the beginning. If a dwarf comes along with skills that befit a bookkeeper I will name him/her Flandre. Let's hope s/he gets along with the Markswarf Reimu. :x I can put you on the list of players if you'd like.
Thank you for considering! You can put me on the list (preferably late game), but it is not high priority if others are yearning to play. New players would gain from this more than myself, after all.
The newbie succession fortress is a very thoughtful gesture, by the way. We are grateful!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 11:24:14 pm by Flandre »

Basque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2011, 11:18:09 pm »

Thanks a lot for the response Zanziik! I knew how to change the tilesets but I didn't know if it would mess with the save or anything. I didn't want to screw it up for anyone after me. I really appreciate the answer, you rock!  ;D

And you rock for making this thread Fievreux! I'm hoping everything turns out well. It's a little hard for me to understand some of the things in the screenshots but I appreciate you posting them none the less. I'm a bit confused about the whole moving over the river thing but it's nice to see you got a solid fortress set up and the farms started. Good luck with the rest of the year! ^^

Edit: Oh, and before I forget to ask will there be anything expected of us other than "try to not die?" I may have only been playing for a handful of days but I want to do this right!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 11:19:48 pm by Basque »

Fievreux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2011, 11:24:53 pm »

@Flandre: It's as much an experiment for me as it is for the other players!
@Basque: The main goal is to not die while still experimenting in the DF atmosphere. My goal for year 1 is to establish a very basic fort where things can and will get done. From there, though... I've just struck lignite, which means we can get a metal or glass industry going. There's a river--maybe we'll have tons of fish. Every player should leave notes of what they've done after their round, but it's up to the next player as for where to take everything.

Zanziik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2011, 11:26:08 pm »

tip: dont use print screen, use snipping tool.  its easier and you dont have to do all the cropping and stuff.

Thanks! This is much quicker than print screen. My problem with Windows 7 has been that it has a ton of features I don't even know exist. A lot of them I find useless, and so I end up ignoring ones that could be useful. This is one of those useful ones.

Thanks a lot for the response Zanziik! I knew how to change the tilesets but I didn't know if it would mess with the save or anything. I didn't want to screw it up for anyone after me. I really appreciate the answer, you rock!  ;D

No problem. The worst that can happen with anything you do really is we're forced to use the save prior to your turn, and I really can't see that happening at all. Don't be afraid to take risks. Losing is Fun ;)

Fievreux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2011, 12:42:09 am »

The official save file, for Tersr. Read up on the first page about what happened in the first year.

Good luck and have fun! Keep us posted!

http://www.mediafire.com/?0i7gzpre8qd105q

Zanziik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2011, 12:56:30 am »

The official save file, for Tersr. Read up on the first page about what happened in the first year.

Good luck and have fun! Keep us posted!

http://www.mediafire.com/?0i7gzpre8qd105q

Took a look at the save. Looks like you're much more symmetrical and organized in your fortress design than I am Fievreux, but that's cool. Excited to get my turn. Might be interested in Dwarf Fortress File Depot for uploading saves, though mediafire works too.

Good luck Tersr!

Fievreux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2011, 12:58:52 am »

Might be interested in Dwarf Fortress File Depot for uploading saves, though mediafire works too.

Y'learn somethin' new every day.

Tersr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2011, 10:13:17 am »

Downloading the file right now!
Shooting something made of a semi hard metal with no organs is a fucking stupid idea anyway.

Tersr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2011, 10:51:30 am »

Spring Granite 1 - 26

It seems I've been given the role of overseerer, odd, since I've never oversaw any fort before, oh well.
The first thing I noticed was most of the dwarfs were doing nothing at all and a good number were tired of the wine we have been making, to remedy that all dwarf that before had been working with anything relateing to farming or wood were told to go harvest plants from the surface, varity is a good thing to have. Some migrants have just arrived and I am in the middle of checking them for their skills.
Shooting something made of a semi hard metal with no organs is a fucking stupid idea anyway.

Basque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2011, 12:16:55 pm »

Woohoo, go Tersr! :D To be honest the three day timeline made me very nervous because it is a short amount of time but I'm glad to see it's moving along at a good pace. Thanks for picking up the save so quickly, Tersr. It would be nice to see some screenshots of what you're doing, though. Also, variety is the spice of life! I'm glad you're getting different stuff, if we didn't embark with a bunch of different things it will make the dwarfs unhappy. Hopefully your migrants will have useful skills!

Best of luck with your first time overseeing, Tersr! ^^

P.S: Since people are being so helpful in this thread, after I take a screenshot I have to upload it somewhere to post it here. Just like there's the Dwarf Fortress File Depot for saves, is there a preferred place to upload images like screenshots?

Fievreux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2011, 12:33:07 pm »

P.S: Since people are being so helpful in this thread, after I take a screenshot I have to upload it somewhere to post it here. Just like there's the Dwarf Fortress File Depot for saves, is there a preferred place to upload images like screenshots?

I hosted all of mine on imgur.com.

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2011, 12:48:18 pm »

tinypic.com is a good place to upload pics to. i use it all the time.

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2011, 12:51:50 pm »

Fievreux, I will gladly take the slot you have allocated to me.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18