Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18

Author Topic: A succession game for first-timers and/or new players. [Now with more tantrums.]  (Read 26874 times)

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile

The gates were barred.  No entry, no exit.  They were either stuck outside, or stuck inside.  Outside were the goblins.. the trolls... and the beasts.   Inside, there was the blood.. the screams.. the food.. and the laughter of maniacs.   Inside, was insanity.  Inside, was death.  Outside, was murder.  Outside, was death.  Death, it seemed, was everywhere.  Either by goblin or by dwarf, it reached it's cold, bloodied hands to everyone.  Was it the doings of the Most Hoary Lady?  Was it that, as punishment for insulting her bishop, this had happened?  Did she, the Zombie Hoary Marmot Goddess of War, Death, Disease, Mountains, and Fortresses, send this plague of chaos, violence, and unreason to the fortress of Echopaged? Were we all to die at her hands? Were we to share the same fate as the fabled Boatmurdered of legend? Were we to fail, as had many before us? Were we to be logged in the annals of history as simply another fortress to fall?

No.. we weren't.  For there was a small hope.. hope in the form of a lone dwarf, locked away in deep inside the fortress with enough food and alcohol to last him years.  He was a newcomer.. he didn't know anyone.. no one knew him.. when the chaos started, he gathered himself a stockpile of supplies and locked himself away.  He told one person, the only person who he had talked to in the fortress, to wall up the door after him, so no berserking or tantruming person could get in.  They did just that. 

While the carnage ensued outside, he was alone inside.  He liked it that way.  He could only barely hear the faint murmur of screams, cries, and maniacal laughter through the thick stone wall, all while sipping on some delicious strawberry wine and munching on some roast.  What kind of roast? He had no idea.

Months later.. near the end of the year, the neighbors showed up for Goblin Christmas.  They even brought Santa Clause the Clown.  Much FUN will ensue.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well.. um.. that was an.. interesting year.. sorry about the relatively few screenshots, not much got built at all.. just some underground farms, nothing speshul to look at.. but.. wow.. DAMN YOU HOARY MARMOT LADY!

We're down to 51 dwarves.  Yup.  51.  About two thirds of the fort died in more ways than one.  Most of it was caused by themselves.  Got lots.. LOTS.. of coffins.. not everyone's buried yet.  Plenty of hauntings.. none violent YET.  In all my time playing Dwarf Fortress.. I had never seen such a large tantrum spiral.. so much insanity.. murder.. was very fun.  Kinda burnt itself out though.. And as for the Christmas friends, we're completely sealed off, so unless Santa decides to go down our chimney well, we should be fine.  I hope. 

P.S.: Flandre, Fievreux, Tersr I, II, and III, Zanziik I and II, and Crustypeanut are all dead.  Fievreux died in the goblin attack.. Flandre.. not sure about you.  Probably in the spiral somewhere.  *Shrugs*

-----

Save will be posted soon.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 05:37:10 am by Crustypeanut »
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, my. That siege is gigantic!

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How many gobbos is that?!?!?

Zanziik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I count 83 and 1 clown.

Oh dear. Haha. Shouldn't have insulted the Bishop, Crustypeanut!

EDIT: Woops. And 7 trolls engaged in one hell of an orgy.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 02:11:07 pm by Zanziik »

MilestoneTwo

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist? I'm scared.
    • View Profile

I...wow. Remind me never to leave, ever.

Yeah, my turn is open for anyone to fill in, although you'd have to be a bit insane to want it at this point, I think.

Zanziik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I...wow. Remind me never to leave, ever.

Yeah, my turn is open for anyone to fill in, although you'd have to be a bit insane to want it at this point, I think.

Shiio! Care to save our fortress? Fievreux, where are you?

Fievreux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm right here! I'm watching. Taking notes. Distracted by real life. I'll change the subject to invite more players in. This is turning into a rather epic story very quickly.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I count 83 and 1 clown.

Oh dear. Haha. Shouldn't have insulted the Bishop, Crustypeanut!

EDIT: Woops. And 7 trolls engaged in one hell of an orgy.

The 7 trolls are new ones that came with the siege.  The previous orgy trolls finished their stuff and went into the old fort, where some of the people were getting a few left over beds.. I massacred them with the miner-militia.

Edit: Before I post the save, here are the stocks:

That lone axedwarf? Tersr IV, the Captain of the Guard.  Only killed a few dwarves so far.. he's still getting into his groove.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 07:14:57 pm by Crustypeanut »

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Save!

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4814

Enjoy!

P.S.: Beware the Reincarnated Bishop.. he/she's a faithful worshipper of their damned goddess.

Shiio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'll be filling in and so be taking over that save. I'm a big writer, and am even paid for it as a side job, so expect alot of reading. Ooh, plenty of action, I am insane.

Zanziik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Excellent! This particular moment in the fortress is a good point in time to have a writer :) good luck! Watch out for my ghost!

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I set him up perfectly for some awesome writing then :D

Go me. 

Shiio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh my god. Just took a long, long look around. You people are maniacs, people who brought up a huge fortress that is completely unorganized and annoying....I love eet!

I'll be starting my turn now, having just unpaused after looking at everything. Expect it to be done within 2-3 days.

Shiio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Journal of Echopages - 27th of Obsidian
    The Therapist, an ancient deity that I have heard only in legend, came upon me today. I was given this book and told to write in it, and then told to lead the fort despite the fact that it is falling and will most likely not be able to last another year. I spoke with The Therapist, who informed me of every Dwarf's Thoughts and Preferences, as well as recent actions. I gleaned much information that I plan to put to use, but I will wait and bide my time, and at the start of the new year, at the first of obsidian, I will be ready.

The Journal is heavy-set, and all I was told is that it held a history of every single other dwarf leader, and as the next one as chosen by The Therapist, I will be the one to wage war on Her Most Hoary Lady of Death and her minions who had came to destroy our fort for not being pious. Locked down within my chambers away from the screams despite them being audible, I was prepared and unique, and it would be my most fitting challenge to save or absolutely cause the destruction of this magnificent fort, however low it has become of late.

The Dwarves, 50 others not including me, were largely a mess, a huge mess that was completely disorganized. Tomorrow I will speak, and with The Therapist as my guide, will choose a group of dwarves to be my loyal elite. I will choose many others, the ones that are most likely to be able to stay happy and not have their death, a group that should and will be ready to live and be strong, while the other dwarves, the lower ones, will still be of use. Prioritizing is a must in these troubled times with such a troubled thing, so says The Therapist, the ghostly apparition that visits me at night. Known as Decius, I will be their god and leader, and only the leaders after me will know the full extent of my deeds, for one day and one fateful night, I am certain that The Therapist will visit, and The Therapist will ask for the journal back, and so the legacy shall continue, even if the fortress falls.

Journal of Echopage - 1st of Granite
    I have looked over the situation and taken command of the entire fort. A small militia and quick military was fashioned together to deal with the following threats, but due to the fact that goblins are trained, powerful, and above all, ruthless, I have decided to take care of these in a special manner. We have no lava as high as I would like in order to destroy the goblins, and so I will be using water to perhaps drown them. A miner was sent to the surface to deal with that, all the while I positioned the marksmen at strategic points along the attack in. It appears that the tantrum spiral has ended, the people are rejuvenated at having a new leader and a chance to live. But will I be able to defeat the goblins, and so be a great leader, perhaps the finest of them all? I will have to find out.

Overall, I have noticed a single survivor hiding out in a special room, purely due to The Therapist whispering to me at night. I have decided that he may be a good chance the fort may have if it, and I, shall fall. With leadership skills far beyond my fellow dwarves and grand skill otherwise, I will be prepared to deal with the challenges, and if I shall fail where the last leader has, then it would be a great shame. I have no life, no deity, and no love, and I have decided to wage war on Her Most Hoary Lady. I will not allow it to be in vain.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 04:45:23 pm by Shiio »

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yea.. once the tantrum spiral started, and I got that guy locked away with food, I just let everything go to hell.  Mostly.  XD  Even the poor migrants got stuck outside when they came.  No way I was opening for 'em.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18