Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Games you need to finish  (Read 4357 times)

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you need to finish
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 07:40:22 pm »

The one I'm trying to finish currently is FF7 "Hardcore" mode. If you thought Lost Number was tough in the original, you have no idea what real pain feels like. :)
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 07:48:34 pm »

One day, I need to settle down and take over the freakin' world already in Mount & Blade. My character can one-shot most enemies, but I've never worked up the patience to try and take over.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2011, 07:53:08 pm »

Tons.
The most prominent is probably Fallout: New Vegas.
I've gotten easily far and well equipped enough to finish many times, but I always find myself restarting whenever I get close to finishing.
*Hugs*

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2011, 09:04:20 pm »

Yep. FO:NV has so far resisted all my efforts to complete it. Part of it's my rose tinted view of FO3, which I still prefer, part of it's my habit of stockpiling ammo for ages before switching up guns, part of it's wanting to do everything and most of it's sheer laziness.

Also, Final Fantasys X and XII. Unfortunately, both save files are on the old PS3 (It Yellow Light of Death'd on me. Twice.), and the new one doesn't do backwards compatibility
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2011, 09:05:14 pm »

statistics show that people don't beat most of their games.

TheCze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2011, 09:10:44 pm »

need to finish Fallout 2.

Started many times but always failed, sometimes due to save game corruption, sometimes due to wrong decisions (daddy gets angry if you fuck his daughter...) etc.

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
again a savegame corruption frustrated me enough to not finish this game, yet.

There are of course quiet alot more games that I have not finished (and many that I have actually finished) but I'm not planning to finish those other games

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2011, 09:17:44 pm »

Bioshock
Cave Story Super Secret Special Ending
Half Life
Everything

I have become horribly impatient now that I have the internet and the money to have lots of games.  I've got this thing going where I play a game for a week and I'm obsessed and it's all I do and then I get up one day and I can't bring myself to even start it up.  In longer games it's usually after an obvious Act transition.  I couldn't keep playing the Witcher 2 after I got out of the swamp.  I almost quit Borderlands when I got to Junktown or whatever.
Shoes...

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2011, 09:26:05 pm »

Cthulhu, I would commit murder for your username.

I need to get around to finally beating Crawl. Or Nethack. Or any roguelike ever.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2011, 09:47:03 pm »

I never finished Morrowind. For that matter, I don't recall doing more than the first 2 or 3 main story quests, then running off to level up and steal and kill things. I have an attempt at 100% completion Golden Sun/Lost Age sitting around somewhere. I also have a brutal Starcraft 2 campaign that I gave up on out of sheer boredom.

I have finished New Vegas at least 6 times, though. :P
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Twerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2011, 09:47:17 pm »

statistics show that people don't beat most of their games.
But by God, I try. At least, I try to try. :<

The Ur-Quan Masters. I doubt it, though, because this game is freakin' huge and I'm already getting tired of scouting damn planets for 3 chunks of common material.
Dark Cloud 2, a game I've had for years and never beat. I've spoiled myself by playing RPGs on the PS1 emulator, because grinding is less boring when you can play at 10x speed. But I'm playing this on the actual PS2. And there's a lot of dungeon floors.
Mass Effect. Started not that while ago, but did a few dozen sidequests without doing virtually any of the main story and burnt out quick. I've been meaning to get back to this pretty soon, actually.
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. Am trying to do this without looking at a guide. Thankfully the puzzles seem fairly reasonable so far... but I've ran into this damn puzzle with a surveyer's thingy and a bull's tail and a bull's head... I even resorted to a guide after a few hours, and I still can't figure it out.
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. Fully completed the first world and didn't get much farther after that. I specialized in blasters from the beginning and well... I probably should have forseen that I'd been using lightsabers eventually. Whoops.
Red Faction Guerrilla . Almost done here, did almost all the sidequests and unlocked almost all the equipment too, but things just seem so formulaic after a while. Plus I don't feel like gathering two thousand what-chya-macallits for jetpack level 2 or whatever I've unlocked now.
Amnesia: The Dark Descent I think I may have gotten sidetracked from this by another game or real life or something... or maybe just got lost. Happens, when you're running around in the dark all the time.
System Shock 2 I've had this game for several years and have started so many playthroughs... I always end up never using guns and only relying on the wrench the entire time. And realizing how much of an idiot I am.
Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl: Never got far past Garbage or the first couple main story quests because I played a ridiculous amount of sidequests in the noob section of the game and got kind of burnt out. Seeing a pattern here?
Breath of Fire 4 and Legend of Legaia are my two PS1 RPGs I've been working on. I've both had multiple tries at beating both years ago, so I kind of have to trudge through the sections I've already been through.

I know there's a lot more than that... But it'd just be best if I stop now. Still, it's good to see a list of it now. Now I have no excuse whenever I'm not playing anything and feel bored. Time to get some of these puppies finished.
Free-to-play games are like the fountains in NetHack. At first, they look refreshing, but when you approach snakes pour out and eat you.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2011, 09:53:08 pm »

I need to finish Heretic.  I'm on episode 3.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2011, 09:56:57 pm »

I have a tendency to just... intentionally not beat games.

Anyone have that? They could beat the game at any moment but chose not to?

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2011, 09:58:41 pm »

I've got a few, but generally I don't buy a lot of games that have "win scenarios" so it hasn't been a problem with me.

LA Noire - Halfway through the second disk, the storyline is amazing but I just can't bring myself to care.

Condemned 2 Bloodshot - The game is scary, but then it stops being scary and the combat just gets frustrating. Also, quicktime events. It isn't a fun game.

Brink - Legit, I have one Sec. mission to go. But I'm sick of nigh-unbeatable offense objectives.

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - I love Legend of Zelda, and I love Wolves. So you'd think this would be a match made in heaven...it wasn't. The game is incredibly fun, but I like it more for the innovative stuff you do while playing a Link, like mounted combat and guarding wagons and stuff. The wolf sequences are obnoxious and unnecessary.

Any Battle for Wesnoth Campaign Mode - Some of them are unnecessarily difficult. There's a fine line between requiring strategy and requiring the willingness to slough through troves of mediocre enemy units for only a short period of time before being forced to sit there and wait till you can actually play the game again.

Sims 3 for the Gamecube - I honestly didn't even know there was a win condition until last week.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2011, 10:00:24 pm »

Sorry I should state that by "intentionally not finish" I mean you like the game.

For example I was at the very last part in Indigo Prophacy... and I didn't beat it for several months and only did because people kept telling me to. (Dang that ending was phoned in)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2011, 10:09:47 pm »

Sorry I should state that by "intentionally not finish" I mean you like the game.

For example I was at the very last part in Indigo Prophacy... and I didn't beat it for several months and only did because people kept telling me to. (Dang that ending was phoned in)

I understand completely, but mostly for games that don't have much replay value. I like beating games if there's more game left at the end.

Beating Kingdom Hearts 2, for example, and then seeing the end screen, where I couldn't save, and was forever stuck in the limbo of before the last boss, was a soul crushing, heart rending experience.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5