Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Games you need to finish  (Read 4346 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Games you need to finish
« on: July 21, 2011, 03:54:41 pm »

So I tend to go hot on a game for about 3 to 4 days before I get distracted. A week later I'll ask myself "What the hell was I in the middle of anyways, and why didn't I keep playing it?"

I'm also a terrible completionist. Probably has something to do with watching my brother beat all the NES RPGs of old as a kid....I'm the guy that gets 95% done with a game they absolutely love and then puts it down. I suppose I just hate endings.

So it turns out there are a lot of titles I mean to finish but never do, for one reason or another. So post your laundry list of games you WANT to finish but haven't.

Excluded are: roguelikes and MMOs (because they aren't meant to be finished mostly) and games you've already finished but are doing a second run of. While it would be easy to list a bunch of crap games you might finish out of OCD tendencies, let's avoid those. We've all got plenty of bad games we'll never finish.

So anyways:

Overlord II - I actually made even less far in this one than in the original. I got the blue minions in the first and did a few missions, but I've yet to pick them up in the second. Overlord II is a good game but I can't seem to saddle up for the last 30 to 40% of it.

Hitman: Blood Money - When I average about 2 hours a level, with all the recon and restarts and testing, this isn't the kind of game I feel like I can just plop down and play a little at a time.

Company of Heroes - Same story. In video game warfare, I'm a big proponent of defensive advance. But building a new fire base on every new control point, furnishing it with artillery and blasting the enemy into submission before you advance again means each map can take anywhere from 2 to 4 hours to complete. I love CoH but even I don't have the patience for that.

King Arthur The Role-playing Wargame - This game gets so unforgiving past the middle part, you basically have to accept total failure somewhere along the path if you ever want to see the end game. I HATE that about this game, while I love everything else about it. Almost no games I play have this high of a quotient for failure, and yet KA basically says: prepare yourself the entire game for a handful of fights that require every single advantage you can pull out....or don't even bother trying and just accept whatever failure conditions they impose, because you'll just be throwing troops into the meat grinder otherwise. I get the itch to play this often, but I think about the agony that is all the evil Knight armies, the Armies of Samhain, the Crusader Armies, the Unseelie Armies.....and I go weak in the knees at the prospect.

Red Faction: Guerrilla - After leveling three zones and doing every quest I'm staggered by how much of the game I have left to do. I had a blast getting there, but leveling a whole enemy base can take a good 20 minutes or more IF you don't die, more when you factor in travel time and distractions. I want to finish this one because I know there are ways to explode things I haven't seen yet...but the completionist in me groans at how many objectives (that are honestly pretty redundant at this point) there are to do.

X-Com - Sort of like CoH and Hitman, the amount of time per level I can spend playing X-Com means I have to work up the desire to play it. After boarding Alien crafts and having to tip-toe everywhere, I wasn't going back to the Geoscape for 2 hours at a time. And I wonder where my days go.

Quest For Glory 3 - It's not a bad game, it's on par for all Quest for Glories. I'm just not a big fan of "Blond Hero's Big African Adventure." In truth the game I really want to finish is Quest for Glory 4 (aka "Blond Hero's Creepy Transylvanian Adventure"), but that would entail beating 3 first so I can import my character to 4....rather than having it create me a ghetto leveled character to start with.

Arkham Asylum - I think I got all the way up to the last area before Joker. By that point I had kicked so much inmate and crazy person ass, I was stuffed. And I'd spent probably 20 hours easily going back collecting stuff and solving riddles.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 03:57:42 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you need to finish
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 03:58:19 pm »

Let me see

Theme Hospital: The game gets tough and grindy a bit later with hospital sizes really small. It actually in some ways gets less fun as it goes on.

Romancing Saga (remake): DAMN that last boss is tough! probably the hardest last boss I ever fought...

Saga Fronteer: I beat only ONE character's story... despite the fact that I actually played all the characters several times (I played it enough to beat everyone's story)

That is all I can think of at the moment...

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 04:03:10 pm »

A crapton of games.

COH, Overlord 2 and X-Com, just like you, and 2/3 of my entire games list on Steam. It would just be quicker to list the games I have actually completed.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 04:08:01 pm »

I went completely through hitman blood money and red faction:guerilla, Im still working on side quests in fallout 3, though I did get to the last quest of the main campaign very quickly. Im only missing a few achievments from L4D2, and I have yet to beat the campaign from Sup commander 2, though I play skirmish matches like crazy.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 04:14:26 pm »

Oh my god so many... I have game ADD or something. I play intensively for a few weeks and then forget about it and never go back. I could make a list a mile long, but I'll stick to the most important ones:

Fallout 2 (not entirely my fault, disc got scratched and I could never get a download to work properly)

Rune Factory 2

Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town

Final Fantasy VI (Seriously, I've started it soooo many times but never got more than about 80% of the way done)

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

Earthbound 0 (To my credit, I did finish the other two!)

Super Mario RPG (I still have a save file right at the final boss, but I've never been able to beat him.)

Diablo II (Never even got halfway, but now and then I start it again...)

Cave Story (I know I'm close to the end, but it's been so long that I can't remember how to play properly and I always die really quickly when I pick it back up.)

Mice Maze (A really old DOS game I used to play as a kid. I still have it on my hard drive and play with DOSBOX sometimes, but I've never made it all the way to the end.)

Baldurs Gate (Played obsessively for about two weeks then forgot about it. Still have the discs somewhere.)

Chrono Trigger (Must have gotten close to the end, but that was years ago.)

Actually, I suppose most of the games I've played, I never finished. The list of games I have finished is probably incredibly short.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 04:21:14 pm »

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

I would have to be paid to finish this. I only played it as long as I did out of sheer boredom on car trips. Every time I wanted to like it, the story or the Judge would remind me why I didn't.

Which reminds me.....

Final Fantasy Tactics - Where the hell do I begin? Is it the length? The time per match? The agony of leveling some of the special characters? The HAHA FUCK YOU bosses? All of the above? The fact I made the mistake of watching someone play the last fight? Never have I loved a Square Product so much and been so unable to finish it. I think the 3rd or 4th Zodiac Stone boss was as far as I got. Something about trying to level the Heaven and Hell Knight characters just made me want to punch myself in the face. I think FFT is the primary reason I still have PS1 memory cards.

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne - I made it to the Diet Building and stopped at a boss that is a giant floating Coffin and is invulnerable to, well, everything. In this day and age I could have just asked the internet, but I counted it as a pride thing since I hadn't been reading any FAQs up until that point. This also happens to be the point in the game where enemies start really laying it on thick and the difficulty was enough to make me dread repeated trips back to the boss to test strategies.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 04:23:09 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 04:33:47 pm »

It'd probably be easier to make a list of games I haven't been meaning to finish.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 04:37:06 pm »

Too many to count. :'(
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 04:38:20 pm »

Ahh. . .FFT. I think that I made it to the end, but I could have just beena victim to the classic FF "games over. Wait a minute, NO ITS NOT! Ha ha, suckers!"  I remember beating an insane boss that was nearly unkillable as he constantly one shots you, but I couldont leave to grind up my team more as I was stuck in an endless "game starts, mission automatically begins" loop. Needless to say, I just quit playing. On another note, montblanc, the first allie I got in the game, died early on in a lawless zone.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 04:59:09 pm »

Lemme see...

Just Cause 2 : I don't know what it is but this game always jumps between being the most fun I can have on my laptop or the most BORING thing ever. I guess it entirely depends on my mood in some fickle and strange way I can't understand.

Saints Row 2: Fun at first, but it becomes a serious chore later on. I don't know how or why even.

X-com apoc and terror from the deep: When the x-com oversaturation this very board gives me I need to get back to these two and finish them finally. Especially apoc, that one is just distilled awesome with a few slight modifications.

Jagged alliance 2: I haven't finished this yet simply because it feels so trivial as you go on. So I need to see it through to the end PROPERLY some time soon. As I've already won by the crack kill team going straight to Meduna route.

Nethack: I'm divided here. Nethack is REALLY good and fun... Up to ghennom. It gets so BORING there and then the damn game gets more frustrating than having any sense of skill. To live there at all you need to be strong enough that lava is your only real worry. So it just gets tedious. I wanna win though, just that last bit of the game is practically just padding.

ADOM: I don't even LIKE this game because of some of it's bullshit. But I told myself I would beat it out of god damn spite.

DCSS: This is what I've been wanting to get back to. So many fun ways to play and I never feel cheated when I mess up and die.

Fallout - New vegas : It's a fun game, just following the actual story is more boring than messing around.

The elder scrolls - Morrowind: Again I mostly have fun collecting riches and playing around.

Angband: I love the hell out of this game since it's a rougelike I can relax and play. Pity for the tolkein in there fucking it up.

Doom 3: Damn my inability to never own this myself.

Stalker - Clear sky (+complete): Read the above entry.

X3 - Terran conflict: Been really meaning to get back to this one.

Frozen synapse: It's fun, but they pull a couple of moves that make you need to do a mission over after seeing the first turn occasionally. I don't like that.

Magicka: Fun but It's kinda boring by yourself D.

And that's all I can think...
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 05:08:24 pm »

You'll get your chance with Doom 3 I imagine....once id is ready to release Rage, that puppy will be on sale on Steam. I think I WOULD have finished Doom 3, but I seem to remember it crashing during the final boss fight for me.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 05:21:54 pm »

Freeciv: Yeah, that's right. I want to one day finish a simple game of civilization. But for me, the games are more the journey than the ends, and ending would almost be a disappointment!

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 05:22:42 pm »

So I tend to go hot on a game for about 3 to 4 days before I get distracted. A week later I'll ask myself "What the hell was I in the middle of anyways, and why didn't I keep playing it?"

Ohhh man, you just described my late video gaming years (last 10 or so).

Anyways, I NEED to finish the 3 xenosagas.
I am a die hard fan of xenogears, and since xenosaga came out, being full of xenogears referenses and stuff, I was all nuts for playing it wholy. But neved had a ps2. Then about 2 or 3 years ago I decided to just buy a ps2, got the 3 xenosagas and.... played the first 5 or so hrs and got distracted or something. Never again got my mind onto playing it.
Now just the thought of having to either pick up from the middle without remembering even what I was suposed to do, or begin from the start ,and know I have 3 whole games to play (I usually dislike playing on consoles) it a really discouraging feeling.

But damn, I gotta finish those games before I die...

Freeciv: Yeah, that's right. I want to one day finish a simple game of civilization. But for me, the games are more the journey than the ends, and ending would almost be a disappointment!

yeah me too. I have played almost all TBS games out there (civilization series and clones, master of orion and clones, paradox's grand strategy games, etc) and never ever finished a game xD

I always play until I am clearly unstopable and never get arround to the part of actually streamrolling the world/universe/whatever. Only games I know its ending, are Moo2 and alpha centary I think.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 05:34:42 pm by Krelian »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 05:25:54 pm »

Magicka: Fun but It's kinda boring by yourself

Trust me... as long as have yet to finish the game... the game is 10 times better.

I sadly beat the game with a buddy... and lets just say at a certain point the game goes down hill and never climbs back up.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 05:26:11 pm »

Hey kinda of a spoiler about red faction gurrila directed at the op:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Nom nom nom
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5