Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Better Primitive Weapon Material?  (Read 2043 times)

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Better Primitive Weapon Material?
« on: July 21, 2011, 01:18:45 pm »

So I'm attempting this "Cave Challenge" as I have seen in another thread. He's had obsidian as a short sword material, and I'm gonna try and use copper instead. Which one is better for weapons, copper or obsidian?

Flaming Toadstool

• Bay Watcher
  • Time stands still at the iron hill.
    • View Profile
Re: Better Primitive Weapon Material?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 01:35:12 pm »

As far as I know, you can only make obsidian short swords. So if you want more variety in your weapons, copper might be the way to go, even if it is not the best material to use for weapons. I don't know how effective obsidian short swords are, but being made out of obsidian, I would suspect they are pretty good.
Probably the best part was when the enraged hens took out a berserker who'd broken a nest box.

CptFastbreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 01:43:15 pm »

In the olden days, obsidian swords used to have the same properties as steel, so they were a lot better than copper. I always thought this remained the same today, but now I looked it up and the wiki seems to think it's worse than any metal:
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Obsidian

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 02:08:39 pm »

As far as I know, you can only make obsidian short swords.

I managed to mod my game so that I could make obsidian spears as well.

Flaming Toadstool

• Bay Watcher
  • Time stands still at the iron hill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 02:28:13 pm »

Well, in any case, after reading that bit in the wiki about obsidian making sub par weapons compared to metal, I would go with copper weapons instead. Unless of course you want to be cool an use obsidian anyways. It may not be as effective, but it would sure look cool.
Probably the best part was when the enraged hens took out a berserker who'd broken a nest box.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 02:30:05 pm »

yes, copper is overall better, but obsidian isnt TOO bad..... against unarmored opponents.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 02:44:00 pm »

Yeah, obsidian's pretty good against squishy things.

Running into anything with armor or a shell or something, copper will be better.

I really do wish we could make stone knives and spears along with the swords, just to get some stuff cranked out in the first month...
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 04:31:55 pm »

Obsidian is sorta like glass serrated disks.
Good at hacking unarmored body due to extreme (adamantineesque) sharpness but won't do anything against any metal armor because it's not hard enough.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 04:55:33 pm »

I'm 'Attempting the Cave Challenge' as described a few threads above, and my main threats are Animal-Men and Giant Cave Spiders. I've turned off invaders, so no Forgotten Beasts until I get a strong army of Camp Guardsdwarves, Cavern Rangers and Cavern Explorers. I didn't bring any Obsidian, but I wanted to know how well it would work against the cave-dwelling creatures.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 05:42:48 pm »

In the old version I have, Obsidian is as sharp, if not sharper, than Steel in theory. In the game, it causes bruising and breaking as often as slashing, which I'm fine with. In the hands of a skilled dwarf, either will be good. You wont be fighting armoured creatures, so go with whatever's sharper unless you want to use blunt for some reason. I'd say that Obsidian Sword > Copper Sword, in either mode. Copper Spears/Maces may be better, though, and if you're lucky enough to find hematite/cassitrite and enough wood (or a magma vein) to make large amounts of weapon-quality metals, iron and bronze, go with them. Obsidian is a fall-back.
And it was weakened, so you may want to mod it a bit.

In real life, Obsidian can easily be made sharper than surgical-quality steel. Not to mention that a 3-ft hunk of wood studded with sharp-ass rocks should be heavier than steel, and Obsidian should be great against unarmoured enemies.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 06:38:57 pm »

The only reason obsidian isn't used for actual knives IRL is because it tends to break. You only really get the preposterously sharp molecules-thick edge once.

But in dwarf fortress things don't break(yet), so it's nerfed in other ways.

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 06:30:26 am »

AFAIK Obsidian IRL tends to be very flakey IRL - thus the low hardness and lack of armor penetration.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 06:47:11 am »

Well, obsidian is, according to wikipedia, harder than some types of steel, but not hardened steel. As any kind of stone though, it's much more brittle, which probably hurts its performance. If you were to bang a lump of steel and one of obsidian together, the obsidian would likely lose out every time, since it chips easily.

Also, i am definitely going to make a stone tools/weapons mod now. I don't know if dorfs would be above it, but stone tools were used quite liberally in the stone age. :P
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 07:20:35 am »

There's also a matter of maintenance.

You can use a good steel blade daily for your entire life while keeping it sharp.
Sharpening an obsidian blade that has lost its edge would typically involve pressure flaking rather than grinding, which sacrifices a lot more material.

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 07:42:18 am »

The only reason obsidian isn't used for actual knives IRL is because it tends to break. You only really get the preposterously sharp molecules-thick edge once.

The problem with that theory is that obsidian IS used for actual knives IRL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsidian_scalpel#Current_use
Pages: [1] 2