Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Forgot the grate  (Read 1701 times)

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
Re: Forgot the grate
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 06:39:50 pm »

Depending-- sounds to me like he might have the well fed from a cavern water source, which could mean amphibious forgotten beasts.  They'll path right to that door, ignore the cage traps, and slaughter marksdwarves through fortifications with deadly dust, contaminating the well forever after.

The door would give you enough time to build a wall and the beasts won't shoot their ranged attack at the marksdwarves unless they can path to them. There's also a million other things you could do like using drawbridges, cave in traps, and upright spikes would work perfectly. Basic Forgotten beast prevention maneuvers.

Of course, a wall grate or floodgate wouldn't do any better for protecting against them.  I'd maybe put a floor grate over the water source, pump water through it into a safe new cistern.

This doesn't work, the well will be dry.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 10:58:59 pm »

The door would give you enough time to build a wall and the beasts won't shoot their ranged attack at the marksdwarves unless they can path to them. There's also a million other things you could do like using drawbridges, cave in traps, and upright spikes would work perfectly. Basic Forgotten beast prevention maneuvers.

There are always things one can do.  I wouldn't want my well room to double as the foyer to the caverns though.

This doesn't work, the well will be dry.

Tested it out, since I remembered it working fine in previous versions-- yup, still works.  (Nearly flooded my fort pumping up through a floor grate, since I stopped paying attention :) )
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2011, 02:35:41 am »

You could forgo dropping a tile and use a powered pump or two as they tend to leave the tile they're pumping from dry enough to build but getting power down there might not be worth your effort.

For a specific, time-limited, short-range project like this one, dwarf-powered screw pumps work well. There might have a few cancellations, sure, but pump-operators have otherwise been surprisingly reliable in my aquifer-piercing projects.
I think the complicated question will be "Where to send the water to?"

Brackev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2011, 10:15:16 am »

ok.  I had saved before the problem got too big (or deep).  I commanded that a door be built in the water tunnel just before the pond.  Urnst splashed into the task since he was just hanging out anyways.  It stopped the flow of water.  I built a wall and put in my grate after the water drained away.  Then I unlocked the door and the water didn't flow past the door.  so I tunneled in and had the door removed and the hole I made walled in.  Pond is now moderately safe.
-------

Dinos with hammers, there is no escape.
Pages: 1 [2]