Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Forgot the grate  (Read 1699 times)

Brackev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Forgot the grate
« on: July 21, 2011, 10:04:32 am »

Oops.  When I made my "safe" pond of fishing/drinking water I forgot to put in a grate (and a floodgate) between it and the cavern water.  Is there a way I can correct this or should I just wall up that section and remake the pond.  Stupid surface water keeps freezing and I almost had a dehydration epidemic.
-------

Dinos with hammers, there is no escape.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
Re: Forgot the grate
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 10:14:54 am »

Is there a particular reason you're in need of water, because you sure sound like an Elf to me.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 10:16:36 am »

I have no idea what your cistern, caverns, or ponds look like.  How should I know what you should do?

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 12:07:18 pm »

If you've contaminated the water supply, you need to remove all water that's been contaminated and then fill it back up.

It's actually easier to make booze than wells and cisterns, so you should probably go with that approach when possible.

Brackev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 01:12:15 pm »

Is there a particular reason you're in need of water, because you sure sound like an Elf to me.

I have to give something to my prisoners.  I can't have them passing on before they have a chance to be punished.

I have no idea what your cistern, caverns, or ponds look like.  How should I know what you should do?

Think swimming pool with a long underground tunnel to the cavern river.

If you've contaminated the water supply, you need to remove all water that's been contaminated and then fill it back up.

It's actually easier to make booze than wells and cisterns, so you should probably go with that approach when possible.

My cook went overboard and took all the plants before I had a chance to make enough barrels for brewing.  He took a self guided tour of the bridgapult later on.  The water is ok.

Should I do what they do with aquafers to plug it up so I can fit the grate and floodgate in?
-------

Dinos with hammers, there is no escape.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 02:02:34 pm »

Collapse some natural walls on top of it, at least three, so you can dig through, have it be dry, and install a grate.

Or you could install a temporary drainage system intercepting the water before it gets to your storage chamber; turn it on, install the grate, then turn it off once you're finished.

For any more specific solutions, I'd have to see the system you have.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 02:04:03 pm »

I have to give something to my prisoners.  I can't have them passing on before they have a chance to be punished.
They're prisoners for a reason you know.  Somebody needs to be held accountable when that order of platinum mugs was never completed.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 03:05:41 pm »

My cook went overboard and took all the plants before I had a chance to make enough barrels for brewing.
z-kitchen. Select some plants. Press "c" for toggling "cooking".
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 03:49:38 pm »

If you've got dwarves chained in prison then I'd suggest a one tile booze stockpile by each cage.

As for emptying the cistern so that your dwarves can get water there are a few options. You could drop a tile of rock from above to block it then either use dwarves with buckets or a manual pump to empty it. You could forgo dropping a tile and use a powered pump or two as they tend to leave the tile they're pumping from dry enough to build but getting power down there might not be worth your effort.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 04:10:29 pm »

If you've got dwarves chained in prison then I'd suggest a one tile booze stockpile by each cage.

As for emptying the cistern so that your dwarves can get water there are a few options. You could drop a tile of rock from above to block it then either use dwarves with buckets or a manual pump to empty it. You could forgo dropping a tile and use a powered pump or two as they tend to leave the tile they're pumping from dry enough to build but getting power down there might not be worth your effort.

I'd suggest a two-tile booze stockpile, because sometimes, a single barrel will stay empty.
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 06:04:40 pm »

From my experience grates aren't all that necessary. In 40d you had to have them but now, creatures just aren't as bloodthirsty. Just forge an iron door and use it to block off your well room, even if a creature climbs up seal the door, problem solved. I suppose if you were really paranoid you could build cage traps surrounding the well. Maybe make fortifications along the side for archers to shoot through. But overall they don't tend to be a problem.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 06:18:55 pm »

Man, I treat my prisoners really well. My "jail" is a smooth stone wall room, with an internal door, and is set up food/booze pile>chain>bed. More often than not, they're prisoners because my noble is a moron and I haven't found magma yet.  ::)

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 06:22:53 pm »

Man, I treat my prisoners really well. My "jail" is a smooth stone wall room, with an internal door, and is set up food/booze pile>chain>bed. More often than not, they're prisoners because my noble is a moron and I haven't found magma yet.  ::)
what, no engravings? and no chair and table?  what are your chains made of?
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 06:30:16 pm »

Chains are made of whatever I can trade for. Most of them are made of gold, platinum, aluminum, and black wolfram.

Huh. Gonna have to change my jail setup so that they have chairs and tables. Thanks for the ideas!

(Most of the time, I don't engrave anything, except my own bedroom. Happiness is usually not a problem within my forts.)

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 06:34:05 pm »

From my experience grates aren't all that necessary. In 40d you had to have them but now, creatures just aren't as bloodthirsty. Just forge an iron door and use it to block off your well room, even if a creature climbs up seal the door, problem solved. I suppose if you were really paranoid you could build cage traps surrounding the well. Maybe make fortifications along the side for archers to shoot through. But overall they don't tend to be a problem.

Depending-- sounds to me like he might have the well fed from a cavern water source, which could mean amphibious forgotten beasts.  They'll path right to that door, ignore the cage traps, and slaughter marksdwarves through fortifications with deadly dust, contaminating the well forever after.

Of course, a wall grate or floodgate wouldn't do any better for protecting against them.  I'd maybe put a floor grate over the water source, pump water through it into a safe new cistern.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.
Pages: [1] 2