Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bay12, randomize my dorf's starting skills  (Read 1558 times)

Noodz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bay12, randomize my dorf's starting skills
« on: July 21, 2011, 06:14:27 am »

Because some fortress defense creatures and an embark composed of haunted badlands and haunted/sinister mountains is not enough fun for me :) Please bay12 forumer, just pick a dwarf and assign the 10 skills points in a manner you think make for an interesting game. This will work in a first come first serve basis, but each poster can only choose one dorf:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What you need to know: the embark haves a brook, sand, iron, flux and coal, but no clay or trees. Not that i'm stopping potters or wood crafters, but they will probably be the first to wrestle the zombie yaks.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12, randomize my dorf's starting skills
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 07:46:21 am »

iton Soakedseals (if you are taking nicknames,"Emeraldwine"), a brewer 2/engraver 4/glassblower 4. Because everyone knows a brewer that likes dwarven wine is best, as is a glassblower who likes green glass.

Dig down to magma and set up a glassmaking industry. No sand? Well, there's always imports...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 09:21:23 am »

Solon:

2: Dodge
5: Axedorf
2: Woodcutting
1: Shield user

Make him Militia Commander ASAP!
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

Basque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 09:56:44 am »

Ha! XD I'm really new to DF and it always amazes me what kind of crazy stuff people come up with. Noodz, if you really go through with this I'll be very impressed! Will we get to see some regular updates for how the fortress develops? I haven't done very much with glass myself but since Badlands have a lot of sand I'm looking forward to seeing how GreatWyrmGold's Glassmaking industry goes.

Because I've never embarked in a haunted or any kind of evil area before, I'm not sure how many creatures get infected with undeath (the wiki says many but not all). Therefore if it's okay I have a stipulation:

If you're setting out with some dogs or other breeding/training animals or if you feel there's usually enough Mountain Goats/Camels/Jaguar/Leopards in these places:

Solon Sterussarvesh - Hunting 1, Animal Training 1, Trapping 1, Butcher 1, Tanner 1, Dodger 1, Marksdwarf 2, Ambusher 2

Edit: Ack, Horrid did Solon while I was typing this. XD If you go with this set I think Unib would work instead.

Otherwise if those aren't the case then I figure you'll be stuck with a bunch of skeletons from undeath and have a bunch of stone from the mountains:

Sarvesh Solozkubuk - Bonecrafting 5 / Stonecrafting 5

Best of luck with this! I'm really looking forward to hearing how it turns out! ^^
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 10:58:15 am by Basque »

HunterBlackLuna

• Bay Watcher
  • [REQUIRES_LNP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 10:49:23 am »

It seems clear that Alath should work with metal, given his preferences. How about 3 Weaponsmith, 2 Armorsmith, 2 Metalcraft, 1 into Furnace Operator, 2 into Metalsmith?

And if you are Dorfing as well, I certainly wouldn't be adverse to the simple nickname of HBL.

Noodz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 02:04:15 pm »

iton Soakedseals (if you are taking nicknames,"Emeraldwine"), a brewer 2/engraver 4/glassblower 4. Because everyone knows a brewer that likes dwarven wine is best, as is a glassblower who likes green glass.

Dig down to magma and set up a glassmaking industry. No sand? Well, there's always imports...

There IS sand. And i always dig down to magma 1st thing so it's a given. Will need to sew some bags tho :(

Solon:

2: Dodge
5: Axedorf
2: Woodcutting
1: Shield user

Make him Militia Commander ASAP!

Suboptimal but i like. Will do.

Otherwise if those aren't the case then I figure you'll be stuck with a bunch of skeletons from undeath and have a bunch of stone from the mountains:

Sarvesh Solozkubuk - Bonecrafting 5 / Stonecrafting 5

Best of luck with this! I'm really looking forward to hearing how it turns out! ^^

I tend to rely on migrants for crafting, but this game is for fun. Sarvesh it is.

It seems clear that Alath should work with metal, given his preferences. How about 3 Weaponsmith, 2 Armorsmith, 2 Metalcraft, 1 into Furnace Operator, 2 into Metalsmith?

And if you are Dorfing as well, I certainly wouldn't be adverse to the simple nickname of HBL.

I haven't thought about dorfing, but i think i will do now that you mention it. I think no one would oppose to being dorfed, right?

In that case, i think i can allow myself to decide about my own skills; it's a bit of rule bending but i don't want to be left out :)

Shem 'Noodz' Paddledpulley, Grand Poobah
Appraiser 1
Consoler 2
Pacifier 2
Mechanic 5

I have a feeling those consoler/pacifier points might come in handy in halting tantrums.

I can write about the saga of the fortress, but i am not a very good creative writer, and english is not my primary language. But in the spirit of bay12 i will try to write them :)