Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [DISCUSSION] Games that incorporate cheating  (Read 877 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
[DISCUSSION] Games that incorporate cheating
« on: July 21, 2011, 01:57:32 am »

So, I've been thinking about starting up a new forum game. If you'd like an example of previous forum games, check out my signature (Roll to Dodge a Song and the BSF one were the most successful). If that sounds too egotistical, don't check out my signature then.

It's my belief that a good formula for success in a forum game involves at least one gimmick as a unique hook- In the BSF one, we actually played BSF. In roll to dodge a song, characters were created entirely by GM interpretation of songs players chose. In another game, players took their in-character inventory from their actual home (on the honor system, if you're wondering).

So I've been thinking- what about cheating? I might do a karma point system (where players can blatantly fib rolls at the expense of karma) or one in which players are penalized for cheating, but only if other players successfully call them on it (with some limits on how often you can call). I might also do something where players add rules, calvinball style.

Further developments pending. Discuss means of incorporating cheating into games.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
Re: [DISCUSSION] Games that incorporate cheating
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 02:30:05 am »

There are two I can think off.
Munckin allows the players to cheat in any way possible as long as no-one notices it, I believe there is no penalty if someone does. There is also a 'Cheat!' card which allows you to use an otherwise unusable item (eg. a two-handed weapon when you already have one, or something only usable by wizards, etc.)
In Malifaux, instead of rolling dice, players reveal the top playing card of their deck. They also have some cards in their hand, and they can use these to 'overwrite' a revealed card. This is called 'cheating' in the rules. They can also use a soulstone, which is very rare, to re-draw a card or (I think) heal a hero, even if he would die otherwise.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.