Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 35

Author Topic: RTD Testing Thread: 5 Positions open. Science doesn't die.  (Read 59406 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: RTD Testing Thread: Thrills and Spills (Experimental Thread)
« Reply #105 on: September 15, 2011, 08:33:15 pm »

!!Scientist!!: Powder Miner
Test Name: Weapons Testing
Test Type: Combat
Required Number Of Subjects: 2-3 with 2, it'll take three rounds. 3 will make it take two fights.
Rolls to be filled: 2-3 Gun testers.
Tag: Yellow :P
Goal: Testing my weapons to see what kinds of fights I'll have (short and bloody, long and strategic), and my combat system in general.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 08:35:11 pm by Powder Miner »

EmoBiatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 16, 2011, 02:11:55 am »

WAAAAAAAAAGH! Lez stomp sum 'umies ! Aka charge the marine
I'm flying faster than the speed of SANDWICH !

Every monday's first words : Hurrfriggin' horseshit....

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 16, 2011, 06:58:38 am »

Scriver, use your psychic powers in any way you want. Just use your imagination.
Too many possibilities! Do you really mean *anything*, or just anything than falls relatively within the established "schools"? And by established I mean from the RPG, since I have no experience with either the real game or the books ;).

Anyway, since I'm already late I'll post an action anyway, even if I'm having a hard time choosing anything. Support Psyker Go!

Get in cover behind something, then telekinetically push the marine's weapon away from us to keep him from being able to aim straight.
Love, scriver~

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 16, 2011, 06:59:57 am »

Damn, I just sent you a PM. >_>

And yeah, pretty much anything you can think of. You can just do a nondescript psychic attack/telekinetic shield/similar if you can't come up with anything.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 07:05:12 am by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 16, 2011, 07:11:02 am »

Hehe.. I'll make sure to think of something a little more awesome for my next turn as well. I just get so unable to decide anything when I can do basically whatever. I have a few random thoughts. Most of them involve fire. Not very groundbreaking use of them powers, but why change something that works?
Love, scriver~

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 16, 2011, 08:45:02 am »

Balance Test for 40k RTD - First Turn
In that case, blast him with all we've got! Hard!
After Giving the others a chance to open fire, the banshee will charge the space marine, while shooting her pistol
WAAAAAAAAAGH! Lez stomp sum 'umies ! Aka charge the marine
Get in cover behind something, then telekinetically push the marine's weapon away from us to keep him from being able to aim straight.

The Guardsmen spring into action, their solemn sergeant snapping quick orders through the vox. They're all young and inexperienced, but know better than to show their fear. They take up positions at the windows and doorways, their weapons clicking faintly as safeties are removed. [Tactic: Focus Fire][Leadership:6-1+1=6] The sergeant gives the last orders and settles in beside them, holding his laspistol aloft.

The Novamarine abruptly turns, his helmet snapping towards the storefronts. The Guardsmen inside stare back in surprise. Is the superhuman's augmented hearing that good? No matter - they're more than ready already. The sergeant prepares to give the order.

[4+1=5]  And the Ork in the back lets out a resounding war cry and leaps against the window, which shatters instantly under his bulk. He lands, unharmed, and charges towards the silent Astartes. He repeats the cry of 'WAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHH!' with newfound fervour. Behind him, the Guard sergeant screams orders, all pretense for stealth and subtlety gone. 'Blast him with all we've got! Hard!'

[1+1+2-1=3] And the firestorm is unleashed. The Plasma Gun fires first, lighting up the shadowed street, and the lasguns follow in perfect unison. [Dodges: 2][Total Damage:0+5+26+22+7+82=142]

The Novamarine, pulling his bolter up for the onrushing Ork, barely has time to react for the massive volley. The first shot, a bolt of white-hot plasma, finds its mark perfectly, burning through ceramite and flesh and sending the massive Marine reeling back. He's in the worst possible position when the las-shots begin impacting against his armor. The thick ceramite of his armor cracks wide open from the concentrated fire. Whether by luck or superhuman reflexes, two of the carefully-aimed shots flash past much to the dismay of their owners. The Marine slams his foot back, regaining his footing, but he has no time to return fire. The Ork, swinging the choppa wildly, begins his attack.

[2+1=3][Dodge:6+1=6] The Marine moves faster than such a heavily-armoured being should be capable of, whipping out a Combat Blade from his belt and stepping to the right. The Ork's first blow finds only air. He tries in vain to stop his momentum and staggers. [6+3=6][Dodge:4-1=3] The silent Novamarine slashes down almost nonchalantly, drawing deep across the Shoota Boy's exposed back. [Damage:12+62-30=44] The greenskin lets out a cry of dismay, his legs giving out under him. He lands on his face with a thud.

[4+1=5] 'For the Emp...' the Marine starts, the first words he's spoken all night. He's interrupted by a howl that shakes his very being, the psi-amplified shriek of the Howling Banshee driving into his mind and paralyzing him with something very much resembling fear. The graceful Eldar warrior appears from the shadows, gliding across the broken tiles of the street with unnatural speed.

[Dodge:5-1-1=3] The Astartes breaks out his stupor, but not quickly enough. He forces his body to turn away, trying to avoid the shimmering Power Sword in the Banshee's hand. [Damage:32-21=11] The force-field around the weapon slices through the superhuman's shoulder like paper. The Eldar moves away, knowing what's coming next.

[3] The scrawny, unassuming youth staring out through the store window closes his eyes, and lets the Warp come to him. [Focus:2] He's untrained, and it shows. He grasps at the Marine's mind like a dying man grasping to a rope, but in vain. His focus breaks, and the psychic energies contained within him turn on their owner.

[Control:3] Young and arrogant, the cultist psyker has no idea of his limits. When he realizes he can no longer control the telekinetic surge forming inside him, it's too late. The psychic backlash drives back into his mind and he screams, falling to his knees. With that, the energy is released.

[Power:1+2=3] The psyker's lack of concentration now proves his downfall - what feels like the fist of an angry god slams into him, scattering his weapon and belongings and [Damage:37] shatters every bone in his unprotected body and flings his corpse back against the nearest shelf with such force it goes straight through, throwing shards of plasteel and wood everywhere.

The rest of his band turn to look, distracted by the noise and lack of psychic attack, but the Marine has no such trouble. [3+3=6] Seeing the Eldar fighter as the nearest threat, he spins around, his Bolter awakening with a roar. [Dodge:6-1+2=6] The Banshee dodges each shot with ease, the high-explosive shots digging into the surrounding buildings and the fountain instead.

The Guardsmen inside reload, the Orks stands up behind the Marine, the Banshee veers for another attack - but the Marine isn't here alone, and the rest of his squad is bound to arrive soon.

Enemies
Spoiler: Tactical Marine (click to show/hide)

---

Test Subjects
Imperial Guard Squad
4 Guardsmen with Lasguns and Combat Blades, hidden inside the stores, In Cover. Disciplined.
2 Guardsmen with Lasguns, Combat Blades and 2 Frag Grenades, hidden inside the stores, In Cover. Disciplined.
1 Guardsman with Plasma Gun and Combat Blade, hidden inside the stores, In Cover. Disciplined.

Spoiler: Howling Banshee (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Shoota Boy (click to show/hide)
---

Uhh, damn, sorry scriver. Psychic abilities might need some tweaking. Imperial Psykers would've gotten bonuses to Focus and Control, but oh well. If you want to, you can get back in on the next phase of testing.

That 82 damage from the plasma gun (plus the bonus from a critical hit) sure was nice. The lasguns got pretty lucky too (20 is max damage for them, so the two which exceed that were from critical hits).

Overall, I think the Marine is pretty much as he should be and weapons seem alright. I think I'm going to drop that Howling Banshee +2 Dodge bonus to +1 only, though. And maybe increase the damage of Power Weapons (though that hit had a 30% damage penalty due to the Dodge result of 3).

This looks pretty messy, though. I wanted to make it more like a narrative, but should I cut it into invididual segments for easier reading?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 02:45:03 pm by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 16, 2011, 08:56:12 am »

Focus fire again with all weapons, exactly the same - unless the melee means we can't get a clean shot, in which case, prepare to fire and hold fire (i.e. overwatch if we can, in case his squadmates turn up)

(when they do turn up I think we're gonna die)

This looks pretty messy, though. I wanted to make it more like a narrative, but should I cut it into invididual segments for easier reading?

It's a good question. I quite like how it is, but it would look more narrative-y if you cut out the rolls with all the modifiers, or just gave the base rolls, or just the end numbers after modifiers are applied (it sure is good to see when your character gets [6], no?). It probably depends how you prefer to write it? You might like to show and players might like to see (shows their character's stats/skills in action) the mechanics. It's written nicely enough that it doesn't really matter that it's broken up into small bits and has [4+1-2]s dotted here and there.

But also, it's a combat, so it's more likely than most parts of the game to feel kind of messy / bitty.

And yes - I think the banshee dodging the bullets from close range was probably a bit unlikely, but then he got a [6], no?

p.s. if you turn this into a game I'm very interested already.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 09:15:10 am by lawastooshort »

EmoBiatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 16, 2011, 09:37:47 am »

The ork quickly stoop back up on his feet 'I iz not finished with you yet!' Charge the Marine...AGAIN
I'm flying faster than the speed of SANDWICH !

Every monday's first words : Hurrfriggin' horseshit....

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 16, 2011, 09:53:02 am »

Made some changes - reduced the Eldar's dodge and removed the accuracy melee bonus, but added an extra attack to compensate. Also made the Ork accuracy penalty ranged only.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 16, 2011, 09:57:37 am »

Uhh, damn, sorry scriver. Psychic abilities might need some tweaking. Imperial Psykers would've gotten bonuses to Focus and Control, but oh well. If you want to, you can get back in on the next phase of testing.
Hehe, no worries. I've been having the worst of lucks lately. Hopefully, this death will keep my gentleman from rolling a 1 on the train-climbing his currently doing. It's got to end sometime, don't it?
Love, scriver~

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 16, 2011, 09:59:25 am »

Well, at least you can't blow up more than two of your eyes eh.

Edit: sorry for off topic.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 16, 2011, 05:41:27 pm »

So you are making power weapons deal more damage rather than ignoring armour, sorta makes sense
The banshee holds back, just long enough to give the guardsmen time to shoot, charging in as though she was chasing the fire
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 17, 2011, 02:56:28 am »

There's no separate armor in this system, it's just extra health. And yay, I can continue the test!

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 17, 2011, 08:38:34 am »

Balance Test for 40k RTD - Second Turn

Focus fire again with all weapons, exactly the same - unless the melee means we can't get a clean shot, in which case, prepare to fire and hold fire (i.e. overwatch if we can, in case his squadmates turn up)
The ork quickly stoop back up on his feet 'I iz not finished with you yet!' Charge the Marine...AGAIN
So you are making power weapons deal more damage rather than ignoring armour, sorta makes sense
The banshee holds back, just long enough to give the guardsmen time to shoot, charging in as though she was chasing the fire

The sergeant barks an order for another volley, but before his squad can do anything, [5+3=6] the Marine turns towards them and opens fire. [3][Dodge:2+1-1=2] A volley of high-explosive, rocket-propelled rounds shriek towards the storefronts, shattering glass and digging through plasteel, and the Guardsmen behind it. [Damage:36] Flak armor is no match for bolter fire, and the unfortunate youth targeted lets out a shriek of pain, his ribcage pulverized in an eyeblink. He flies back like a ragdoll, his body bent to an unnatural position.

[1+1=2] The Ork, still disoriented, wanders around the street, trying in vain to reach the armoured giant. The Novamarine ignores him, keeping his bolter fixed on the storefronts for any signs of movement.

[Tactic:Focus Fire][Leadership:2+1-1=2]  The sergeant repeats the order, but it's no use now. Survival instincts and basic training kick in, all squad cohesion lost. Some pop uncoordinated shots on their own, no doubt easy prey for the Marine's return fire. The hiss of lasguns fills the air.

[Dodges:1][Squad Damage:4+0+8+39=51][Squad Dodges: All Successful!]

Shots hammer against the Marine's weakened armor, and slowly but surely, the relentless fire of the Guardsmen begins to take its toll. He returns fire blindly, but his vision is damaged and his rounds smash into the sturdy shop walls. Then his bolter finally clicks empty, and before he can reload, the plasma gun fires. Even the Marine's augmented body cannot survive another direct hit from the weapon.

At last, the Novamarine collapses, letting out a muted yelp of pain. There is silence for a while. Then a vox-amplified roar of sheer rage from the upper level reaches the surviving warriors, and they remember the Marine wasn't here alone.

The storefronts have been mostly annihillated by the Marine's bolter, and only five can use it for cover anymore. On the other side of the street, long stairways lead to the upper level, separated by abandoned hab-blocks, which could be occupied for an ambush position if the Marines come down to the street. The fountain also grants some protection against fire.

---

Test Subjects
Imperial Guard Squad
3 Guardsman with Lasguns and Combat Blades, hidden inside the stores. Disciplined.
2 Guardsmen with Lasguns, Combat Blades and 2 Frag Grenades, hidden inside the stores. Disciplined.
1 Guardsman with Plasma Gun and Combat Blade, hidden inside the stores. Disciplined.

Spoiler: Howling Banshee (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Shoota Boy (click to show/hide)

---

Fun Facts: I had to redo the entire IG-vs-Marine firefight after I realized I hadn't included the dodge bonus from cover. The changes? Without cover, only three Guardsmen survived. With cover (and maybe a bit of luck, plus the Marine ran out of ammo after the fourth return-shots) all of them did. Oh, and wolfchild could've stopped him from shooting back at all with a successful (5 or 6) Banshee Mask-perk charge in the beginning.

Now - there are two more Marines coming, and I'm not that confident in your chances. You might succeed, if you want to try, but we could also move onto Phase 2, Vehicle Combat. I'm still struggling with the rules for Vehicle Combat, though. I think I'm just going to make them normal troops with a lot of HP, but it seems kinda silly that laspistols could destroy a tank if enough of them (a couple hundred or so) hit it.

If you have any opinions or suggestions regarding vehicles, please share. Other constructive criticism is also appreciated!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 02:07:36 pm by Digital Hellhound »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 17, 2011, 08:56:48 am »

Now - there are two more Marines coming, and I'm not that confident in your chances. You might succeed, but if you want to try, but we could also move onto Phase 2, Vehicle Combat. I'm still struggling with the rules for Vehicle Combat, though. I think I'm just going to make them normal troops with a lot of HP, but it seems kinda silly that laspistols could destroy a tank if enough of them (a couple hundred or so) hit it.

If you have any opinions or suggestions regarding vehicles, please share. Other constructive criticism is also appreciated!

You could give weapons an AP (Armor Piercing) Value, and Vehicles an Armor Value, so say a Laspistol has an AP of 1, and a tank has an Armor Value of 6 then if the laspistol hit its damage would only be 1/6th the original damage. In that way you can have normal weapons deal damage to the vehicles, but not enough that it destroys it in two rounds, and you can now add in heavy weapons that are specifically made to combat vehicles.

Also on another note if you have, or get a slot open I would like to join the testing
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 35