Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 35

Author Topic: RTD Testing Thread: 5 Positions open. Science doesn't die.  (Read 59341 times)

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: RTD Testing Thread: Now Refurbished With 50% Less More!
« Reply #285 on: December 26, 2013, 06:19:11 pm »

I'll sign up as the Tough champion for DH's thing.

And Tiruin: Caravan Cleric?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 26, 2013, 06:33:56 pm »

And Tiruin: Caravan Cleric?
Sure, done. :)

What I'll be testing are the skills and the synergy with combat. I was going to assign skills best based on what the role people pick as from the list in the link but...am really unsure if I should give the freedom to the testers (which is what I want in the first place), or just make it randomly chosen as some skills are not based on rolls, but on how the player analyzes and acts upon the situation.

Bleh, going with freedom of choice.
>_>
<_<
If any of you testing out in my Orange test want, you could both pick a role and a skill that you want towards that role. Keep the above in mind of course!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 12:57:27 am by Tiruin »

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 26, 2013, 07:37:39 pm »

I'm going to sign up as a Techy Sniper.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 27, 2013, 12:26:58 am »

{Volunteering as a test subject!}
Given how I'm apparently the last person who ever posted, and probably seemingly ignored, I'm still sticking to what I said before.

I didn't feel it a good idea to take the opinions of two years ago as the opinions of today. You've been put back in the roster, and everything has been updated and color coded.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 27, 2013, 04:21:20 am »

Signing up as a Marksman, Skill: Steady Aim.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 27, 2013, 09:23:45 am »

Sorry, Fniff, Tiruin already mercilessly stole that spot.

I'm gonna do this as a two-parter, first explaining the basics of the system. There's probably more than is needed, but I can reuse this in Roller's Block or an eventual game or whatever.

+++ENTERING BLUE TESTING ZONE+++ENTERING BLUE TESTING ZONE+++ENTERING BLUE TESTING ZONE+++

Spoiler: Combat Actions (click to show/hide)

You people are smart, you'll get it soon enough - this is only complex compared to the usual RTD. If not... refusal to comprehend mechanics after instructions will be met with summary execution. Science knows no mercy. I demand questions to be asked if there is the slightest bit of confusion.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 27, 2013, 09:24:26 am »

+++ENTERING BLUE TESTING ZONE+++ENTERING BLUE TESTING ZONE+++ENTERING BLUE TESTING ZONE+++

Also entering UGLY FORMATTING zone, oh god

Turn 0

With a -plop-, our three improbable heroes appear on the vast red wastes of Elysium. They are a curious bunch, and they are on a sacred quest. Literally - the gods have chosen them as their champions to do their dirty work.

The first, Tiruin the Techy Sniper, notes that she has Shields to protect her. As she knows, Shields cannot be destroyed and absorb some damage from each hit, but can be overloaded if they are hit more times than their Resistance can take. Shields can thus be worn down by sheer rate of fire, even by weak hits. Shields will recharge over time, so staying out of harm's way will return them to full power soon enough.

She also possesses a sleek piece of metal identified as Wilde Needle Rifle. What she can tell about the weapon is that it has a slow rate of fire and small clip size, but high accuracy and damage per hit, making it a typical sniper rifle. Rifles and other high-damage weapons are best against Armored enemies, but usually less effective against Shields. Her weapon also has a special quality that increases its damage when used over Long Range - presumably some kind of accelerator mechanism that increases the bullet's speed the longer it flies. Presumably.

Tiruin also notes a targeting beacon that will make a chosen enemy easier to hit, and stunning grenades.

The second, the Dark Paladin, is clad in Armor. Armor reduces incoming damage by its Resistance, and will usually completely ignore low-Damage hits. If Armor is damaged, however, it cannot be easily repaired and may be destroyed after too much Damage.

The Dark Paladin finds himself the proud owner of a Ripper Gun, a heavy, brutish weapon with a low damage per hit and medium rate of fire, a large clip, but terrible accuracy. It also has a special quality greatly increasing Damage at Close Range. All these make the Ripper Gun by necessity into a Close-Range assault weapon, which is effective against Aegises, but still reasonably powerful against both Shields and Armor. The Paladin supposes the weapon is some twisted hybrid of a rifle and an SMG.

In addition, the Paladin possesses a great, flaming sword blessed by the gods, which is slow but powerful, and ignores Armor due to its special quality. This makes it, rather obviously, effective against Armor, and like all melee weapons, it is very good against Aegises. The Paladin is able to do a fearsome War Cry that weakens the morale of all enemies who hear it, and has a stash of combat drugs that will increase his capabilities even further when consumed.

Persus the Psychic Commando, in turn, is protected by an Aegis, a psychic barrier. It functions much like Armor, reducing incoming damage, but is very vulnerable at Close Range and melee and takes increased damage at these ranges. This damage increase is not to the user's health, which is not touched at all until the Aegis is destroyed. However, Aegises can be reformed after they are destroyed or just after some damage, returning them to their full strength. This power usually has a cooldown or limited uses.

Persus discovers he is to use a VALKYRIE SMG, which he finds out is a weapon with a very high rate of fire and a reasonably large clip, as well as medium accuracy, but abysmal damage per hit. This makes the weapon fairly useless, but still effective against Shields and unprotected targets, especially at Close Range. It's something, he supposes.

The Psychic also possesses psychic powers, a Gravity Trap power capable of stunning enemies, and a Kinetic Driver that can be used to breach Armor and Aegises, or simply deal a high-damage hit.

---

Our three heroes approach an ancient ruin. Broken stone pillars and walls litter the area around an old clearing. They remain hidden as they move closer to look into the clearing. What they find is a ghastly sight, of four raiders in scrap armor, by an old altar to the gods. A captive, bound with rope, is being dragged towards the altar - no doubt they aim to sacrifice him to their gods. Our heroes feel a terrible need to fight these people for reasons they cannot quite comprehend.

The ruins offer a reasonable amount of cover to use - currently, the heroes are at Long Range from the raiders, who are standing out in the open for now, unsuspecting. They could attempt to move closer without being seen or to get to their flank for an ambush. The battle plan remains theirs to make. The chief raider gives off strange vibes to Persus, seeming to be protected by an Aegis on top of his Armor. The others are also protected by their scrap metal Armor. Three of them carry rifles, while the fourth seems to have a larger marksman's rifle.

---
Spoiler: Techy Sniper (Tiruin) (click to show/hide)

((This is not technically combat yet, so actions can be whatever you want. Enemy status boxes will probably be kicked up once combat proper starts.))
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 09:26:37 am by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 27, 2013, 10:12:02 am »

((HAHAH! Now my fears of lengthy test posts are already alleviated! Thanks for setting the scene DH! :>))
*reads on*
As loyal subjects, you will bear with me and follow it with either real or pretend fun.
((xD Setting it perfectly. Mhmm.))
*checks turn*
((Oh YES. I have my preferred load-out already mentioned in the narrative! xD I was already thinking 'If I get to pick my equipment I'm going with those shields...'))

Operation Blue

"I believe a closer inspection is best here. Care to get closer to them, boys? I'll take out their marksman from here. Use one of my grenades, please. Soften them up and make this quick, I doubt they are all we'll find."

{Custom Action} Steady Aim: Get down prone and adjust that rangefinder on the sniper rifle towards their marksman.

If possible, give one of my 'flashbang's to either the Commando or the Champion for better utility.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 27, 2013, 10:45:58 am »

"Sure thing. Their Leader looks like he has an Aegis as well as armor, he's going to be tough.

Attempt to flank the Raiders with out being seen

(Would my Kinetic Driver work on both the leader's Aegis and his armor or just one?)
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 27, 2013, 11:00:44 am »

(Would my Kinetic Driver work on both the leader's Aegis and his armor or just one?)

It will hit the Aegis first. If it's attack destroys the Aegis, it will affect the Armor too with the 'leftover' damage.

That's what I'm here for, Tiruin. Making everyone else look less bad.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 27, 2013, 11:23:45 am »

Sure. That way, we can kill them more easily.
Flank the raiderds without being seen. When ordered to, open fire on them with my machine gun.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 27, 2013, 12:06:11 pm »

Turn 1

[6] The sniper settles herself down in the dust where she has a good angle at all four of the raiders. The raiders' attentions remain on the altar and the captive, who's raised on top of the stone plinth. She chooses their marksman and adjusts her optics until he's squarely in her sights. Out in the open, not expecting an attack - she's not gonna get a better chance than this.

[+2 to Hit against Raider #4 for next turn]

Her companions decide to move closer. [4] The psychic leads the way, sticking to the shadows. He doesn't see any way to get close without them noticing, but moves to their flank regardless, using a large, half-collapsed wall to hide him. With Tiruin ready up higher, the team could attack the raiders from their south and east at the same time.

[3-1=2] Of course, the champion has to ruin that perfect plan. His heavy steps make more sound than an elephant, and he ends up crashing through the brittle ruin and tumbling down the hill - unharmed, but with godawful noise. He comes down behind a wall, still unseen by the raiders, but certainly not unheard.

The raiders are alerted. [4] The marksman stays put, but he's expecting an attack, now, as are the others. The three other raiders move towards the east side of the ruins, where the commando and the champion are at.

Enemies
Spoiler: Raider Chief (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Raider #2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Raider #3 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Raider #4 (click to show/hide)
---

Spoiler: Techy Sniper (Tiruin) (click to show/hide)

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 27, 2013, 12:20:07 pm »

Sneak up near one of the raiders that isn't the leader.
Sigtext

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: December 27, 2013, 12:27:13 pm »

Take aim on the bandits. If they spot the commando, open fire on them to cover him.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 27, 2013, 04:41:49 pm »

Scientist: adwarf
Test Name: Fighter Balance Testing
Test Type: Combat
Required Number Of Subjects: 2 to 4
Rolls to be filled: 1 Bomber Wing Commander, 1 Interceptor Wing Commander, 1 Boarding Vessels Commander, 1 Dogfighter Wing Commander
Tag: Green
Goal: Testing, and fixing smaller ships for use in my Space Pirate RTD
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 35