Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hyper Pressurized water?  (Read 1970 times)

rknewell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hyper Pressurized water?
« on: July 20, 2011, 11:05:12 pm »

Either something is bugged or I've invented a flash flood trap. Are there any circumstances where water can fill a sizable area (~75 squares) with 7/7 water in the space of time it takes a dwarf to open a door, walk through to the other size, and have the door close behind him? My poor miner didn't stand a chance when the entire area filled with water and it was the fastest I've ever seen water fill any area before. !!Science!! demands that I attempt to weaponize this to drown elves of course.

The water flowed from the bottom level of a two z level underground pond that extends off screen, (presumably making this an unlimited water source). The intent was, as I've done many times in the past, to dig open the hole, run through the door, shut the door behind me, and do nothing worse than get some mud in the hall way. The dwarf corpse in the hall suggests I have miscalculated gravely.

Stormcloudy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hyper Pressurized water?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 11:16:45 pm »

Yes. In the event that all adjacent tiles are filled with 7/7 water, and there is pressure exerted, such as a water tower-shaped cistern with a single hatch, all the pressurized water will teleport to the nearest free square.

rknewell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 11:20:54 pm »

So a sufficiently large cistern gives you a terrifying flash flood device? This...this must be weaponized!

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 12:51:00 am »

Had this happen to me once. Carved fortifications into a wall bordering the ocean, expecting the water to drift in at a measured pace like when you tap a river or a cavern pool.

My entire fortress flooded in a single tick. The "Water Tower" idea is limited by the pesky fact that only a finite amount of water can be in the tower, but the ocean will unleash an infinity of aquatic death on your foes. (Or, more likely, your self)

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 03:57:43 am »

Such a single tick can take quite a while though, depending on what exactly you're doing. Up to a few minutes, if I recall correctly.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 10:56:07 am »

Had this happen to me once. Carved fortifications into a wall bordering the ocean, expecting the water to drift in at a measured pace like when you tap a river or a cavern pool.

My entire fortress flooded in a single tick. The "Water Tower" idea is limited by the pesky fact that only a finite amount of water can be in the tower, but the ocean will unleash an infinity of aquatic death on your foes. (Or, more likely, your self)

That's a hillarious image. The engraver takes one last swing at the wall, a hole opens up, and then suddenly he's completely submersed. As with the entire fort up to the nearest door.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 11:14:52 am »

Due to the way pressure works, the "strength" of pressure is based entirely on the surface area of the reservoir, not the height - thus, a filled 9x9x3 reservoir will flood an area about 9 times more quickly than a 3x3x19 reservoir would, despite holding the same volume of water above the bottom-most level. Since oceans have an enormous surface area, tapping one below the surface Z-level will flood an entire fortress pretty much instantaneously.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 11:17:01 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

gawwy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 11:50:59 am »

Due to the way pressure works, the "strength" of pressure is based entirely on the surface area of the reservoir, not the height - thus, a filled 9x9x3 reservoir will flood an area about 9 times more quickly than a 3x3x19 reservoir would, despite holding the same volume of water above the bottom-most level. Since oceans have an enormous surface area, tapping one below the surface Z-level will flood an entire fortress pretty much instantaneously.
does this go for magma also?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 12:20:23 pm »

Of course not - magma doesn't exert pressure at all.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

Guedez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 12:29:50 pm »

magma pumps, problem solved

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 12:36:23 pm »

magma pumps, problem solved
1. Water exerts pressure when it's sitting on top of other tiles filled with 7/7 water. This is what's being discussed here.
2. Magma does not exert pressure when on top of other tiles filled with 7/7 magma.
3. Fluid creation follows the rules of pressure regardless of the fluid being created. Fluid creation happens for river sources at the map edge, river/brook sources in the middle of the map, 40d's underground river "waterfall from nowhere" source tiles, and screw pumps (which simply delete the appropriate amount of fluid from the source tile afterwards).

Read this and be enlightened.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 12:38:57 pm by Quietust »

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 02:20:10 pm »

This is interesting, and it explains why my flooding accidents with the ocean on the 2x14 map in 40d were always so, well, flooding. All tiles except 2 were ocean.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 03:56:02 pm »

Ummm can this cause it to go up z levels perhaps a ten z level mine shaft that leads to my fort?
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 04:03:26 pm »

Ummm can this cause it to go up z levels perhaps a ten z level mine shaft that leads to my fort?

The water will go up Z levels if the reservoir you breached is higher (up to the height of the reservior).
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 04:24:59 pm »

thank armok i was scared for a second still taking a few percutions
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.
Pages: [1] 2