Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: tactical advice for early phase mega-project embark.  (Read 1174 times)

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
tactical advice for early phase mega-project embark.
« on: July 20, 2011, 06:09:07 pm »

my aim is to start work on a huge and time intensive mega-project, but ive been having troubles getting it going. here's my question; early game, should i start by making a tiny little area for urist to live and grow food in and shit before i start working on the massive mega-project, or should i just get going on the project right from the jump off and let urist sleep outside on the ground until it's complete enough for them to live and grow food and shit in there?
both ideas seem to have sizable problems.

what are your recommendations, oh dwarven council?
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: tactical advice for early phase mega-project embark.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 06:16:41 pm »

Invaders off: Dirt is fine.
Invaders on: walls will save your life.

Either way, I feel like a suitable megaproject needs a suitable labor camp, so for these specialized embarks I tend to take a lot of cheap wood or shist (specifically shist, "your home is a pile of shist") and build some huts.  Communal bunkbeds, imaginary fire-pit, small kitchen and farm, etc.  They move to work as soon as the labor camp is upright.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 06:19:04 pm »

Get your fortress up to something that can run itself without too much management before building a mega-project.
Mega-projects are time and resource consuming, and if urist has no food or weapons, then either tantrums or invaders will cause plenty of fun.
Regardless of the simplicity of the fortress (from labour camp, to massive megalopolis which plumbs the very depths of hell,) you have to at least have some basic structures.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 06:22:28 pm »

Suggestion: Farms and Dwarf Foreman.  Updated to .25 out-of-the-box, Foreman allows you to "always have X drinks" which will generate a manager order for that many drinks at all times.  Using this, you can have a farm and still, and have your dwarves perpetually fed and drunk with no interaction, leaving you free to focus on the megaproject.

orrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 06:35:15 pm »

Making the megaproject one and the same with the functioning fortress is usually my goal for such things.

Otherwise, with invaders off, a dormitory, a few farms, and decorated dining room with a well should get you along fine

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 06:41:20 pm »

Making the megaproject one and the same with the functioning fortress is usually my goal for such things.
it will be when its done.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 06:45:16 pm »

When building a megaproject, I start by first making a very secure, stable fortress.  Decent bedrooms for everyone, reliable and low-maintenance food source, completely unfair defenses consisting of walls, bridges, and magma chambers, that kind of thing.  Once that's out of the way I can then spend decades building something ridiculous without worrying about my labor force tantruming, starving, or being killed by goblins.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.