Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How strong are traps anyway?  (Read 1605 times)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How strong are traps anyway?
« on: July 20, 2011, 05:01:42 pm »

So yeah... i wanted to set up a corridor full of mace weapon traps to tenderize any incoming enemy... or knock/dodge them into a pit with spears and skewerize them.

While the dodge part should work i'm more worried about the punt part.
I know fo a fact that dorfs are usually too small/weak to send anything flying while using a mace/maul.

I know that the "weapon skill" and chance to hit depend on the quality of the mechanisms but do they affect the streangth of the trap as well?
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Jimlad11

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert insightful text here
    • View Profile
Re: How strong are traps anyway?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 05:22:00 pm »

deleted
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 01:34:45 pm by Jimlad11 »
☼Cat Tallow Biscuits☼...Mmmm...

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 05:29:08 pm »

I've yet to have enemies flung by weapon traps and I usually fill them with silver war hammers.

I *have* had limbs shot up 2+ z levels to the roof of my fort, though.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 06:19:31 pm »

I know fo a fact that dorfs are usually too small/weak to send anything flying while using a mace/maul.

it seems to not be just the size of the attacker, but the size of what he is attacking with.

mod in an extra large hammer (perhaps as a speciality trap component) and watch the gobbos soar.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 07:00:32 pm »

If you get the chance try large glass serrated saw blades. Easy to make from green glass and do alot of damage. Saving your metal for more useful things. Good luck on the skewerizing though.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 11:29:45 pm »

Slicing and dicing traps are fine. Creates better potential for bone bolts. Pokey traps are lackluster in providing giblets with future use. Any trap that will cause a idjit goblin to dodge into a 10 level pit is also fine, for providing giblets in this case goblets. Cannot store these goblets in bins.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 06:47:34 am »

Dedicated trap components tend to outperform regular weapons. For the main killing zone, I suggest spikes or glass disks.

Menacing spikes have no trouble penetrating deeply through any armour invaders are likely to wear. More fatal wounds than instant kills, which is good because instant kills get traps jammed.

Serrated glass disks have multiple attacks capable shredding exposed flesh and causing heavy bleeding. Because vitals tend to be protected (by bones even if not by armour), they're attractive on the same principles as Menacing Spikes.

As a failsafe behind the main killing zone, I recommend metal disks. More maintenance-intensive, but extremely deadly.

For a dodge-me trap (throwing invaders into nasty terrain tends to work off dodging rather than forcefully punting them away), I recommend spiked balls. Even if the invaders get through, they will be well tenderised (many nonfatal wounds, even through armour).

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 03:44:29 pm »

Thank you for the help. Well my pain goal was building traps that punt enemies instead of just making them dodge.

Guess i should start adding that enormous hammer trap component to the ravs.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 04:01:20 pm »

Thank you for the help. Well my pain goal was building traps that punt enemies instead of just making them dodge.

here is a thread with usefull information - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=77912.0

there's another one floating around, but i've lost it and cannot find it.

Bognor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 12:45:20 am »

I'd think maces should be better than hammers for punting, being twice as large at 800 cc, and thus twice as heavy.  You could also mod mauls to be makeable by dwarves.  Surely 1300 cc of copper or silver would send a gobbo flying. 

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 02:10:59 am »

I'd think maces should be better than hammers for punting, being twice as large at 800 cc, and thus twice as heavy.  You could also mod mauls to be makeable by dwarves.  Surely 1300 cc of copper or silver would send a gobbo flying.
no, not really.  for more than a tile or two of flight (if you are really lucky) you need something bigger than a maul.