Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]

Author Topic: Atempting the Cave Challenge  (Read 25537 times)

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atempting the Cave Challenge
« Reply #180 on: August 22, 2011, 06:41:33 pm »

I spot a giant Olm, should I go and kill it?

Also this is very fun to play, I don't think I've had this amusement with any other game, I can't wait until I explore the other caves and get to kill something funny.
Ektor is in a constant state of internal rage

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 22, 2011, 07:04:42 pm »

I would turn immigration down completely, is there anyway I can... Encourage my dorfs to breed?

In fact I am preparing  right now, I genned of the best worlds I've ever seen.

Can I take birds? They would be a steady source of leather, bone, meat and eggs, but I don't know if that's against the rules of the challenge.
Just mod certain cave creature to be tameable. Big, herdlike things such as Elk Bird, Dralatha, Drunian, and Rutherer work well. Naked Mole Dogs are tough and easy to trap, but die in ~4 years. Good news: if you get too many, just cage them and wait.
I actually made some avaliable on embark:
Elk Bird: replaces most livestock
Naked Mole Dog: replaces dog
Large Rat: follows dwarves around like cat, but doesn't kill vermin
Creepy Crawler: work in progress. I changed the name to "Large centipede", because that's how I imagine them. They can be tamed, and kill vermin like cats. I'm trying to make it so that they can't adopt or be adopted as pets. Wandering, scavenging rat-eaters.
Most actually cost a shit-ton to embark with.

Don't kill the Giant Olm. They're fast, strong, and have fairly tough skin. Wait until you get better soldiers. Or, try to trap the thing, tame it (mod the raws), and keep it as a pet. I got one and assigned it to my Fortress Guard Captain as a pet/guard.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 07:15:57 pm by franti »
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 22, 2011, 08:00:49 pm »

I feel like modding those things to be tameable is kind of cheating.
The caves are pretty much depopulated, apart from the olm and a troglodyte that fell from my original staircase and died, I've seen nothing yet.

Enki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 23, 2011, 05:16:23 am »

I feel like modding those things to be tameable is kind of cheating.
The caves are pretty much depopulated, apart from the olm and a troglodyte that fell from my original staircase and died, I've seen nothing yet.
Just wait for those Naked Mole Dogs, they will come certainly :P

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 23, 2011, 02:51:52 pm »

Mole rats? Bah, my farm was attacked by a Giant Spider, my marksdwarf bravely gave his life so the swordorfs could save the rest of the expedition.
I built him a fucking awesome grave, and later checking his post-mortem stats, he was a worshipper of the goddes of sacrifice and generosity.
You don't get this in other games.

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 23, 2011, 03:06:02 pm »

I tried the cave challenge awhile ago, but ended up quitting because the caves I choose were a little...empty I guess. Currently, I have a fort only open to one cave level and I've already seen hundreds of crundles, some reachers, a couple cave crocs (lost both of my excellent hunters to these guys), some elk birds, and a lot of giant spider webs. I wish my cave challenge cave had been more like this.
THE WINTER MEN COME DOWN THE VALLEY AND KILL KILL KILL.
I'm voting for the Plaid Acre up next on COLORS AND MEASUREMENTS weekly.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 23, 2011, 03:45:54 pm »

I would turn immigration down completely, is there anyway I can... Encourage my dorfs to breed?

Can I take birds? They would be a steady source of leather, bone, meat and eggs, but I don't know if that's against the rules of the challenge.
Just mod certain cave creature to be tameable. Big, herdlike things such as Elk Bird, Dralatha, Drunian, and Rutherer work well. Naked Mole Dogs are tough and easy to trap, but die in ~4 years. Good news: if you get too many, just cage them and wait.
Creepy Crawler: work in progress. I changed the name to "Large centipede", because that's how I imagine them. They can be tamed, and kill vermin like cats. I'm trying to make it so that they can't adopt or be adopted as pets. Wandering, scavenging rat-eaters.

Don't kill the Giant Olm. They're fast, strong, and have fairly tough skin. Wait until you get better soldiers. Or, try to trap the thing, tame it (mod the raws), and keep it as a pet. I got one and assigned it to my Fortress Guard Captain as a pet/guard.
You need to mod Elk-Bird to stop grazing to make them real useful, they usually starve sitting on eggs.

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 23, 2011, 04:40:42 pm »

I have six migrants sitting in the top, how long will they take to starve and die?

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 23, 2011, 06:15:04 pm »

You need to mod Elk-Bird to stop grazing to make them real useful, they usually starve sitting on eggs.
I'd mod them to eat less and give birth quicker. Which is to say, I WOULD, if I had 31.25.
Version .18, biatchez!
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 23, 2011, 06:15:49 pm »

I have six migrants sitting in the top, how long will they take to starve and die?
Not more than a season. You'll need slabs. Try to put all the useless ones in a military, station them up there, and bring down the useful ones.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 23, 2011, 06:17:16 pm »

Mole rats? Bah, my farm was attacked by a Giant Spider, my marksdwarf bravely gave his life so the swordorfs could save the rest of the expedition.
I built him a fucking awesome grave, and later checking his post-mortem stats, he was a worshipper of the goddes of sacrifice and generosity.
You don't get this in other games.
Naked Mole Dogs don't attack, they steal your food. Which I find ironic, because they're carivorous, but I've lost so many dwarves to Rutherers.
They're easy to trap because they make a line drive for your stocks, and run when dwarves approach. You just funnel them through a cage hallway and BLAM! Awesome pets.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 09:06:34 pm by franti »

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 23, 2011, 07:31:36 pm »

taming cave animaks is not cheating, most if not all have the pet_exotic tag which means they are meant to be tamed with a dungein master. since dungeon masters are currently impossible, editing the tag is basically unlocking an intended and really cool feature.  Your first pack of rutherers/jabberers/blind cave ogres bred in captivity is really priceless
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 23, 2011, 09:06:15 pm »

taming cave animaks is not cheating, most if not all have the pet_exotic tag which means they are meant to be tamed with a dungein master. since dungeon masters are currently impossible, editing the tag is basically unlocking an intended and really cool feature.  Your first pack of rutherers/jabberers/blind cave ogres bred in captivity is really priceless
Blind Cave Ogres is taking it a bit far.
For one, I'm fairly sure they're sentient.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]