Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13

Author Topic: Atempting the Cave Challenge  (Read 25560 times)

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atempting the "Cave Challenge"
« Reply #150 on: August 05, 2011, 09:10:07 am »

I wall off the top to prevent raids.
Also, I have a personal policy against using volcanic tubes that extend the surface, although it wouldn't be against the rules.
I modded Quartzite to craftable into Stone weapons the same way Obsidian can. It's not as sharp, but it's heavier.
Allowing dwarves to use wooden weapons (not training weapons) is helpful. Wooden Spears aren't bad.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 05, 2011, 11:17:51 am »

Using Civ Forge mod. Hit the cavern layer one. What luck, a magma tube. That breaches into the Magma Sea... This is problematic. I could have Demons spew forth from the substance known as Magma, and have Magma Crabs fire upon my furnace workers...

Isn't this Fun?

I also brought two Cave Crabs and two Giant Beetles as wagon pullers. The Beetles were default, and happened to be male and female. Sweet!

In the Sea, I saw a section of Obsidian that can hopefully be mined out for Obsidian to make swords and hand-axes from.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 05, 2011, 09:43:00 pm »

Mass-modding for a second and third world, and no more after world no. 3. Gonna fiddle with the reactions a bit, already removed the fuel needs to make clay pots, jugs, hives, bricks and statues.

Making my smelters, blast furnaces and alchemy labs spew forth useful and valuable materials.

All worlds will have one play type: One world, normal fort. 2nd world, cave fort. 3rd world, adventuring.

Gonna let my dwarfs use more primitive weapons and ammo for the caves, modded training weapons to have an edge and renamed them 'cavern weapons'.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 06, 2011, 08:43:14 pm »

Made a huge mega-embark of 10k points worth of useful crap to make workshops, wells, big a$$ storerooms, and lots and lots of farms.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 06, 2011, 10:29:37 pm »

Embarked on a glacier (thought that if I didnt need the surface I would go for the most useless one I could think of), dug down to caverns and started digging little houses in the walls. Walled off large areas of the caverns and started work on workshops. One of my mechanics was ambushed by a Jabber and was slaughtered. Sent my two axe dorfs after it and they were slaughered as well.  :'( My archers decided that shooting it would be for wimps so they engaged in melee. I only have three survivers left after the Jabber buggered off due to injuries.  :P Just before they all went crazy from their friends being killed, my first batch of migrants arrived. Goldencaves lives!  8)
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 07, 2011, 12:36:34 pm »

Damn, you're lucky.

Lord Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 07, 2011, 01:20:42 pm »

Cave challenge? Real dwarves play the !!Underworld Challenge!!
 8)

Enki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 19, 2011, 05:28:46 am »

Any tips for a kinda newbie who wants to do the cave challenge? Do you really need 2 doctors? And generally speaking, do you guys have any tips besides what's already in this thread?

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 19, 2011, 08:33:30 am »

I plan on doing something like this at some point, except I'll do it on with a dead civ.
Meaning, after the first two waves, there will be no more migrants ever again.
I'll have to actually keep children alive, and my new dwarves will all start with no labor experience. Or, well, actually they'll probably all be legendary growers, but whatever.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Enki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 19, 2011, 08:36:41 am »

Just tried it for the very first time in a world with lots of caves and I got one with a pretty good entrance to the first cavern layer but my expedition leader died (he walked onto some ice that melted right at that time and he just drowned) which made all my other dwarfs go nuts. Though it was a pretty good 1st cavern with lots of native gold though there was also a troll. So next try :D

Enki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 19, 2011, 10:59:32 am »

So I started to settle Caveknighted, my next attempt at the cave challenge. Again I used an overground cave entrance to the first cavern as my base camp and intended to equip my three soldiers before I send them down scouting. Things got ugly when a troll began rampaging through my stockpile, killing both of my dogs. But it seems either the dogs or my soldiers attacked the troll enough to wound it and scare it away. The troll ran off the map in a speed I have never seen before on any creature. Strange stuff. I'm glad all my dwarfes survived this attack and nobody got hurt. Though it's sad my breeding pair of dogs died right away.

Edit: Things just got uglier when a giant cave spider jumped out of the 1st cavern and killed one of my doctors. My soldiers were able to kill it though there was no way I could have saved the doctor. Sadly he was friends with everyone of my starting 7 and so the tantruming (? :P) begins.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 11:06:21 am by Enki »

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 19, 2011, 07:31:49 pm »

Obsidian Shortswords are THE BEST bludgeoning weapon in the game. Try to embark in a spot that lets you bring Obsidian.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Enki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 20, 2011, 09:17:31 am »

Any way Marksdwarfes could be better for the beginning? Me is not fond of the idea of having melee dwarfes. I mean my three military dwarfs killed like 6 trogs simultaneously and then proceeded to get killed by one giant rat.

Enki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 20, 2011, 10:00:38 am »

Another attempt: Three soldiers using obsidian swords and getting a neat cave fish leather outfit right away, two miners who got also skills as ambushers for the sake of getting some free armor / crossbow / bolts etc. and two doctors. I'm considering to give those two doctors the crossbows. Don't know if miners can carry their pick and the hunting equipment. Well lets hope that the Hammers of Squirting (yes, random name generator really gave me this name :P). Lets see how this one goes, but I'm certain I will have a lot of !!FUN!!

Edit: Any way to deal with cavern miasma? Hell those trogs gimme a mess.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 11:12:17 am by Enki »

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 21, 2011, 10:33:39 am »

Butcher all butcherable creatures ASAP. I make my doctors my butchers. Non-butcherable creatures should be disposed of by dumping them into a pit and then constructing a Hatch Cover over it until the miasma goes away.

Never put miner/woodcutters in the military. Equipment issues and whatnot.

I've used marksdwarves before, but running back and forth to get ammo, being poor in melee, and shooting the same, near-dead target constantly but not any of the others does not make them a good prospect for early defense.
I usually bring a Proficient Carpenter/Stonecrafter to make good Obsidian Swords/Shields, and then make Bone/Leather armour from the bodies of the things they kill.
My warriors are: Competent Swordsdwarf, Adequate Fighter, Adequate Dodger, Adequate Shield User.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 10:37:25 am by franti »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13