Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

Author Topic: Atempting the Cave Challenge  (Read 25557 times)

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atempting the "Cave Challenge"
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2011, 09:35:10 am »

I'm abandoning Cavecamps and am going to try again elsewhere. Taking a metalworker this time.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2011, 09:37:17 am »

I'm abandoning Cavecamps and am going to try again elsewhere. Taking a metalworker this time.
Take a proficient Stonecrafter/Woodworker: a +Obsidian Sword+ is probably better than a +Copper Sword+, and it doesn't need fuel.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2011, 09:43:40 am »

As I said, I fiddled with the smelter reactions so I can create fuel and metal from virtually nothing.

This time:
1 Competent Miner,
1 doctor,
1 metalworker,
1 shroom-chopper,
My leader (same skills as last),
and 2 speardorfs.

Another question: Can I use any clay I find?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2011, 09:46:56 am »

Is it underground?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2011, 09:52:02 am »

Ordinarily 1 or 2 levels below the surface, though this varies wildly depending on how much soil is present.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2011, 10:11:07 am »

Well, the challenge creator said you gotta use things near the cave. Is there any reason in particular you want to use clay?
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2011, 10:20:30 am »

It's fire clay that I got, so, yeah, unlimited resources for food and booze pots, bricks for settlement walls and fortifications, decorative statues, though this can be acquired from stone. I don't usually like to use stone sometimes, unless I'm forced to.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2011, 10:22:38 am »

Regular stone can be used for food storage.  Craftsdwarf shop + "Make Rock Pot" = rock 'barrels'.  They work exactly the same and are an amazing way to store food and clean up excess stone. 

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2011, 10:24:14 am »

It's fire clay that I got, so, yeah, unlimited resources for food and booze pots, bricks for settlement walls and fortifications, decorative statues, though this can be acquired from stone. I don't usually like to use stone sometimes, unless I'm forced to.

Stone is the one resource you'll always have plenty of. Why NOT use it? Plus clay/earthenware pots need glazed before use I think.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2011, 10:35:03 am »

Fire Clay ones don't, but the others do.

That being said, stone pots = best addition to the game evah.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2011, 10:50:59 am »

Cleanup of stone... Huh. Never thought about that. And I could make decorative statues of stone too.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2011, 10:57:34 am »

Yup, stone statues are a good way to make a dining room look nicer, increasing happy thoughts.  Its also the #1 room you want engraved too.  A fantastic dining room will make anyone happy.

Edit:  Damn Troll.. killed my mason and mauled one of my other guys.  Down to 5 dwarves and 1 half-alive one.  Plus 6 migrants at the surface trying to get food and drink.. I embarked on a wasteland with no river.  They've got a few beehives up but I don't think they'll make it.

Edit 2 And there goes the migrants, died of thirst.  Oh well, next group will have plenty of honey to work with!

Edit 3:  Lol, the next wave of immigrants (In the Autumn), sold the previous wave's clothes for booze and a pick.  XD
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 11:22:48 am by Crustypeanut »

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2011, 11:35:48 am »

Update-
A swarm of, I shit you not, 23 Crundles was massing in some stalagtites near my farms. They're not charging only because the dog scares them off.

I recruited 3 migrants into a Fortress Guard squad with swords and shields, and sent them out. It was a slaughter. My butcher cant work fast enough before the corpses rot. I've got more tallow than I know what to do with. I have enough bones for 20 Fortress Guards.

While I was building armour from their bones, a troll showed up and killed my dog. I sent my Fortress Guard after it, and unfortunately they weren't armored yet. One swordsdwarf showed up before the other two, and the battle went well at first: The Troll lost an eye and suffered a broken leg, but then it broke the swordsdwarf's wrist and punched his spine. The other two showed up and decapitated him (epic). The dwarf is in the hospital, and I may mod the game so nervous tissue eventually regrows.

A Gorlak ate a kitten (yay!), and attacked a dwarf:
The Gorlak swings!
The Fortress Guard blocks!
The Fortress Guard stabs the Gorlak in the head, killing it!
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 22, 2011, 12:08:48 pm »

I've got more tallow than I know what to do with.

I'm annoyed that the game doesn't implement candles, otherwise I'd tell you to make plenty of them.

Instead, try making soap. Like you said, soap is important.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2011, 12:19:22 pm »

Update: My new cavern fort has hit them, this time with water, cave grass and giant shrooms.  Very few open spaces, unlike Cavecamps. Fort name this time is called Pickkings.

Update 2: Lots of bismuthinite and granite. A whole z level of gabbro too. Limestone a couple of layers above the breach.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 01:31:33 pm by UristMcHuman »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13