Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Author Topic: Atempting the Cave Challenge  (Read 25530 times)

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
Re: Atempting the "Cave Challenge"
« Reply #90 on: July 22, 2011, 06:51:00 pm »

Lol yea I had my sheriff lose her finger to a giant olm, as well as get a couple of nasty scars.  Beat the thing to a pulp though.
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 22, 2011, 07:31:15 pm »

Starting a default cavern fort on an un-modded world. No cheats, no modding done, no new point-saving weapons. Hoping to hit cavern vegetation.

Brought some obsidian and native copper with. Hoping to hit more copper and some obsidian. Took tower-cap and fungiwood logs. Used a fairly large dorf civ, hoping to get lots of useful migrants to draft and convert to important units.

Pop cap's at a whopping 1200. Not expecting migrant waves that are too horribly large, otherwise my one camp's gonna get overcrowded. Need those migrants, though.

Need more dwarves! 7 is NOT enough. I need at least fifteen.

Update: Magnetite right off the bat! I have iron. Hoping to hit some other stone. Mudstone rocks are on the surface, most likely going to hit and use that for defense wall-wise.

Update 2: My doc drowned after a surface pool un-melted. Damn, now I have no way of treating injured expeditioneers.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 07:45:01 pm by UristMcHuman »

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 22, 2011, 07:58:15 pm »

Pics of the entirely explored Cavern Level 1:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 22, 2011, 08:01:57 pm »

What kind of stone do you have in that cavern?

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 22, 2011, 08:02:37 pm »

Wow. Two magma deposits in the first cavern layer? Very impressive. Those are also some really open caverns - did you dig them out, gen the world specifically, or just get lucky?

Also, anyone know if underground pools have water flow? I'm going to need some power for the pumps.

EDIT: Just tried to make a few starving surface animals "splat." I dropped them 8 levels and they survived: a horse foal, llama, mule foal, and cavy sow. They're all in pretty bad shape. I'm really not sure what to do with them; I fully expected them to be dead.

EDIT2: Llama suffocated. Horse bled out after the second drop. It took the horse and cavy 4 drops to die - cavy bled out, horse suffocated. I should've just slaughtered them; their bodies can't be used now. Oh well. It was a bit Scientific.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 08:27:34 pm by Lectorog »

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 22, 2011, 08:14:53 pm »

Seriously, I have never seen caverns anywhere near that open. How did you do it?
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 22, 2011, 08:24:32 pm »

Crustypeanut, can you post the seed or upload the save or something?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 22, 2011, 09:11:18 pm »

Some responses:
Giant Olms are as mean as Giant Crocs, but lack scales. Coppers Spear work well, as do bolts. If you can trap them, save them away in case you run out of food: they have a lot of meat.
Caverns are randomly open: my 1st cavern is awful, 2nd is as flat as kansas, and 3rd is not much better than 1st.

Update:
1st two Fortress Guard are now armored in Crundle Bone, but for some reason crundle lack skin. Two more combat-capable dwarves arrived, were given the traditional obsidian sword and black-cap shield, and sent to kill a Giant Toad. They won, and now my Fortress Guard is fully armed, armoured, and staffed. Breaching cavern level 3 fully. Found magma vein and an Adamantine vein comming up through the bottom of a lake. I'm at level 10, though, and my surface is 130, so I'm going to stay the hell away from it in case the happy fun stuff is down there.

Fortress is developing finely. Plump Helmet grow fast. Bronze breastplates have been forged for the Fortress Guard, as well as Boots, and they're now quite a force to be reckoned with. Plan on recruiting two fairly decent Marksdwarves into the Cavern Rangers, and i'm starting on building their passageways through the walls.
I wish somebody would send me a link to a sparring set-up: I don't want my dwarves sparring with Obsidian Swords.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 22, 2011, 09:14:40 pm »

Don't worry, dwarves never spar anyways.
And when they do, they just tap each other-n.o maiming allowed. That's the fortress guard's problem.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 22, 2011, 09:18:11 pm »

Question:
How do I edit the game to allow butchering of sentients? Nothing shows a Troll who's boss like wearing its father.
How do I edit the game to allow war/hunting training of Naked Mole Dogs, and how do I make embarking with them an option (put them under the "animal" side in the inventory screen)?
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 22, 2011, 09:56:49 pm »

o.O I go hit up Minecraft for a few hours and people are amazed at my open caverns.. XD (Seriously, the Aether Mod just came out :P)

-UristMcHuman: For the stone I have, its rather crappy - mostly phyllite, with bits of cobaltite and granite.  Deeper down in one of the magma pipes theres marble though.

-For the Caverns openness, I did a custom world gen (the advanced perameters) and turned cavern openness to like 80 or 90 minimum, 100 maximum.  Works wonders.

-I also turned up volcanism, making it like 30 or 50 odd volcanos MINIMUM.  Yea, I like my volcanoes :P

As for posting the save/seed, I'll see if I can get that uploaded.

Also, Franti, to allow butchering sentients, go into your raws, and go to ENTITIES, and look under the ethics.  Change the butchering/eating of sapients to ACCEPTABLE for the dwarves.  Note: You must regen your world, as it won't take effect on your current world(s)

For the training of Naked Mole Dogs, simply add the [TRAINABLE] to their profile in the Creature_Subterranian raw file.  To make them embarkable with.. I'm not sure.

And for Greatwyrm, mine spar ALL THE TIME.  I mean it only took them one year of continual sparring (And the odd passerby creature) to get legendary in their weapon of choice and Fighter. 

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 22, 2011, 10:16:30 pm »

Really? I had a fort, running for years, that never had a SINGLE soldier spar. I'll ask about that in another gameplay questions thread.
Sig

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 22, 2011, 10:20:45 pm »

Just did 2hrs play on my Livestream on this...
http://www.livestream.com/neyvnslivestream

Just want to check on something, Trading with Dwarves. Is that allowed???

Gonna start again after Lunch and making more open Caverns...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 22, 2011, 10:22:52 pm »

Do you have a barracks set for them to train in? I use an armor stand, then select their squad and press 't'.  Once there, they'll either organize training sessions (like dodge, fighting, armor usage, etc), or spar. 

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 23, 2011, 01:49:24 am »

Journal of Un Atkustslos, Expedition Leader

Our Empress, may she live long, has decided that another outpost is necessary to hold off the teeming hordes of barbarians that are at our doorsteps. However, this outpost will be... different. We have orders to move underground, into the caverns, once we arrive at the site of our outpost. The Empress has dispatched a minimum of Gnolls to reinforce our location, so lives are valuable. We have brought the usual basic necessities; food, drink, and a small supply of every raw material in case any of us are struck by inspiration for an artifact. We also brought two sets of bronze armor, for myself and Ama, another miner. Spostro and Axstut, our other miners, will have to make do with bone and leather armor until we manage to dig up some metal. The males we brought with us are skilled in masonry and carpentry, bone and stonecrafting, and growing and finding plants.
We immediately dug into some bituminous coal, which is very promising. However, we found no other metals; we will do some extensive searching once we are secure underground. We dug into a nice area, flat and with absolutely no space above it. It will be easily defended from whatever monsters this place will spew at us. The mason-carpenter started helping me set up some walls with the slate we brought with us, and everyone else started moving our supplies down underground.
With the walls set up, we have only one way any monsters can get inside to us. I gave the males a few good hard kicks and sent them off to tidy up. The various plants were dug up, the trees cut down, and a small plot of plump helmets planted. We dug out a large area for storage purposes and filled it up with our belongings and bunkered down, preparing for our long stay here.

Someone lost the armor along the way. Without decent protection, I have forbidden anyone from leaving the safe area. The craftsman is patching together some armor frome bone and leather we got from the pigs we brought. We have so much meat that plants will be obsolete for a while yet.

Because we cannot make any real weapons, and because copper picks are not exactly the best-case scenario for me, I had our craftsman make a pair of obsidian swords. Ama and I have begun training with them in a hole I ordered carved into the side of our little clearing. A group of four arrived, who I immediately put to work. One has taken over the leatherworking and butchering, while the other is currently keeping track of our stocks in detail.

Notes:
I have only one cavern layer.
Fort Defense is installed, although it doesn't matter right now.
I am playing with a custom race, the Gnolls, who are slightly larger than humans.
Let's see how long this lasts, eh?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 03:06:45 am by Crazy Cow »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13