Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: Atempting the Cave Challenge  (Read 25544 times)

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
Re: Atempting the "Cave Challenge"
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2011, 01:33:43 pm »

Hey guys, I'm attempting a community fort using this challenge over at
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=89438.0

Though not a succession fort, I'm making dorfs for anyone who wants them - you guys get to choose their jobs even. 
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2011, 02:35:32 pm »

I'm thinking of reclaiming twisted towns--bronze, mirthful area, nice caverns and already legendary dining room set up.  Only problem is the cave ogre that ate everyone.  This time it will be a full military embark with one skill each in household stuff and I will build a trade depot for gifts to pull in migrants.

Also, cage traps and [Pet_Exotic] to [Pet] will make for a more productive cave dwelling experience--nothing says cavern fort like 20 tame jabberers/blind cave ogres guarding your surface gate.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2011, 02:42:01 pm »

Dug down to level 3 cavern, found a magma vein. Good for fuel, but I dare not try to set up there: there are a half-dozen Flesh Balls roaming around near it, and although I have no idea how they are in a fight, they sound scary.

Also, my dwarf with the spine injury died. Suffocated. My Fortress Guard is wearing thin, but they now have Bone & Leather armour.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2011, 02:42:26 pm »

I'm thinking of reclaiming twisted towns--bronze, mirthful area, nice caverns and already legendary dining room set up.  Only problem is the cave ogre that ate everyone.  This time it will be a full military embark with one skill each in household stuff and I will build a trade depot for gifts to pull in migrants.

Also, cage traps and [Pet_Exotic] to [Pet] will make for a more productive cave dwelling experience--nothing says cavern fort like 20 tame jabberers/blind cave ogres guarding your surface gate.

Wont you also need to make the ogres non sentient to make that work?

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2011, 02:43:36 pm »

That explains why my butcher wouldn't carve up ogres. Are Trolls and Gorlaks also sentient?
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2011, 03:04:59 pm »

That explains why my butcher wouldn't carve up ogres. Are Trolls and Gorlaks also sentient?

Yes but you could also mod the ethics of the dwarfs civilization entity to allow them to butcher them.

scion-of-fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • All Things Serve the Beam.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2011, 03:18:18 pm »

Attempting now. Still digging towards cavern layer. Will post results shortly.

UPDATE:
Breached first layer, walled off a small pocket, proceeding to set up camp. Saw a Cave Spider.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 03:28:10 pm by scion-of-fenrir »
Long Days and Pleasant Nights, Stranger.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2011, 05:08:44 pm »

Fortress is expanding, growing. Set up a well, a Plump Helmet farm system and a Cave Wheat farm system. Built a meeting hall and bedrooms.

I've got a group of Fortress guard armed with their traditional Obsidian Swords and Black-Cap shields. I'm planing on breaching cavern level 3, and I want to train them better before I do. Can anybody send me a link to a thread on how to set up sparring? I normally use danger rooms but I don't like to because they're too easy: takes the fun out of it.

My Fortress Guard will be armoured in Bronze Breastplate, but the rest of their armour will be made the traditional way: from the skin and bones of their first kills.

Carpman

• Bay Watcher
  • need not work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2011, 05:13:25 pm »

Can somebody upload their fort to DFMA? I'd like to see what one of these looks like.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2011, 05:16:19 pm »

Can somebody upload their fort to DFMA? I'd like to see what one of these looks like.
If I had internet on my laptop, I'd upload mine.

Carpman

• Bay Watcher
  • need not work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2011, 05:19:07 pm »

But... you're posting on... nevermind.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2011, 05:27:21 pm »

But... you're posting on... nevermind.
He's probably not on the same computer he plays DF on.

I'd upload mine, but it's nowhere near "completed." I'm only a couple of seasons and one migrant wave in. I'm making it a bit random, winding, and sprawling, sort of like the caverns. It looks kind of cool, kind of bad. I'll post it once it has more to it.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2011, 05:41:26 pm »

My cave fort has limestone above it. I've also modded out the need for flux stone to make steel. I've left the need for extra fuel and I think the pig iron as well. I'm still gonna see how well I can survive without my extensive modding.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2011, 06:36:11 pm »

I'll see if I can upload mine.

Bah can't get it to work :\

BUT, I do have screenshots in my signature link.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 06:50:01 pm by Crustypeanut »
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 22, 2011, 06:46:33 pm »

A giant olm made its way to my fort. I didn't notice it for a short time. I quickly told my hammerdwarf to kill it, but he was too busy obsessing over his torn guts and crawling around. It died, though. Forty pages of a pair of dogs shaking it around by the head. Screw hammers, I'm investing in an animal army.

My fort's small, so I'll put a couple of pictures here.
Spoiler: Level1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Level2 (click to show/hide)

Absolutely terrible layout, but my population is currently capped at twenty, so it'll do for now.
If you're wondering about the large room on the second floor: That little chasm next to it leads directly to an underground lake. I plan to flood the room and hope it grows useful stuff. Need to get some pump materials first. It's surprisingly hard to find trees in the caverns.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13