Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13

Author Topic: Atempting the Cave Challenge  (Read 25539 times)

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atempting the "Cave Challenge"
« Reply #165 on: August 21, 2011, 10:38:44 am »

Any tips for a kinda newbie who wants to do the cave challenge? Do you really need 2 doctors? And generally speaking, do you guys have any tips besides what's already in this thread?
2 Doctors is nice because you'll rarely get any in migrant waves, and it always seems that the Giant Olm goes right for the Chief Medical Dwarf.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

DwarfOfDefeat

• Bay Watcher
  • Reproduces through Mitosis
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 21, 2011, 05:35:01 pm »

the cave generator failed in mine and i was killed by a camel turned humanoid... made of Black Opal... and it shoots webs.
FUUUUUU-
"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elder berries!

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 21, 2011, 06:34:29 pm »

the cave generator failed in mine and i was killed by a camel turned humanoid... made of Black Opal... and it shoots webs.
FUUUUUU-
Clown or FB? I thought FB/Titan webs were bugged (absolutely NO pun)?
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

DwarfOfDefeat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atempting the Cave Challenge
« Reply #168 on: August 21, 2011, 09:09:38 pm »

im not sure what it was its name was the Devil of opal or something.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 21, 2011, 10:03:20 pm »

im not sure what it was its name was the Devil of opal or something.
That REALLY sounds like a clown. How'd it get down there?

DwarfOfDefeat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 22, 2011, 12:50:42 am »

well first of all the cavern failed to generate leaving all these subteranean creatures on this surface and bam! dwarfs are in a messy pile of gore.

borderlands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 22, 2011, 02:37:34 am »

I've started a rather successful cave fort, but I've run into a strange sort of problem. See, for some reason, my home civ didn't have any anvils to spare during embark, so I thought I'd just ask nicely when the next caravan came around. After I got my dwarves suited up with leather armor and swords, they parleyed with the merchants and promptly relieved them of their goods. Now, for some reason, my military won't stop attacking my civilians. They're not berserk, they're perfectly happy, and I've even taken them off duty. Nothing stops them from bloodthirstily running after helpless masons. My last cave fort actually died because of this exact issue, except that there was only one military dwarf left. I thought it was because he had gone berserk and it just didn't show on the status screen for some reason.

Has anyone else seen this problem? Should I submit this in the bug forum?

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 22, 2011, 03:30:28 am »

If by "relieved them of their goods" you mean murdered them, then the murderers are now (unsurprisingly) considered to be an enemy of your civilization. Thus, more murder ensues. Welcome to the "loyalty cascade". ;)

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 22, 2011, 04:38:47 am »

I've started a rather successful cave fort, but I've run into a strange sort of problem. See, for some reason, my home civ didn't have any anvils to spare during embark, so I thought I'd just ask nicely when the next caravan came around. After I got my dwarves suited up with leather armor and swords, they parleyed with the merchants and promptly relieved them of their goods. Now, for some reason, my military won't stop attacking my civilians. They're not berserk, they're perfectly happy, and I've even taken them off duty. Nothing stops them from bloodthirstily running after helpless masons. My last cave fort actually died because of this exact issue, except that there was only one military dwarf left. I thought it was because he had gone berserk and it just didn't show on the status screen for some reason.

Has anyone else seen this problem? Should I submit this in the bug forum?
It's called a Loyalty Cascade. It's well documented, and more or less unrepairable. You got what you deserved.

Enki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 22, 2011, 05:14:08 am »

I've got a good working fortress of 19 dwarfs now. Royal dining room keeps them ecstatic even through a shortage of booze and food. Though I now definitely have to move down to level 2 or 3 because first off there is no space left for incoming dwarfs in my base camp (built it into a pillar) and there wasn't any water in the first cavern layer. Are trolls badass monsters? Because my three soldiers killed one without the troll even scratching one of them. With the help of a danger room I now trained them into legendary fighters and shield users though I guess I have to do a bit of dwarven !!SCIENCE!! to train them in armor use and axedwarfing as well. Some troglodytes and gurnacks (or whatever they are called) keep running around at the entrance to my fort but they are a bit faster than my military dwarfs and always run away. Oh and I gtt some layers of marble with a lot of native gold. But hopefully I get some more useful ore in the next two cavern levels. Tried to trade with the dwarven caravan but when I demanded a copper drum worth 40 coins (or whatever) in exchange for some gems worth triple the worth they mumbled something about childish behaviour and went away. Oh and my dwarves stole their cloth ... I don't know how that happened, got a hospital and when the caravan arrived my dwarves were eager to steal all their cloth and the caravan did nothing about it :P

On a sidenote: Do siege forces get down to the caverns if there is a way for them? Any special requirement? Thought it would be funny to wage war on all civilizations (maybe except for human (because they don't actually attack you) and my home civilization, which leaves me only with elves :P) and get them coming down into my maze of terror filled with abominations they never would have expected :D
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 05:39:09 am by Enki »

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 22, 2011, 02:59:47 pm »

Siege forces will only get to the cavern if there is a way down.

I, like many people, wall up the stairwell and unwall for migrants, if I want them. I don't unwall for caravans.

On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being the average, unarmed, unskilled dwarf, trolls are maybe a 5. They're not too bad. Blind Cave Ogres are a lot worse, but nothing a danger room can't handle.
You probably have metal, but if you don't, Obsidian Shortswords are extremely effective against most humanoid-like creatures because they have a relatively small amount of cushioning soft tissue, and can feel pain.

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 22, 2011, 03:55:46 pm »

I will totally try this.

Also, is there anyway for me to shut myself COMPLETELY in the caves? I want my comunity to be secluded, and only find the upper world again when all the first ones have died. Yeah, I'd be willing to go play that long.
Ektor is in a constant state of internal rage

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 22, 2011, 05:10:58 pm »

easy. Just remove one of the stairwells. Not a hard feat: I'm sure you can engineer it suficiently. You may want to wait for the first couple migrant waves to arrive: put all the useless ones in a military and leave them up there, and bring the useful ones down. It's worth noting that in the cave, a Farmer is more helpful than a Metalcrafter or something like that. Remember: self reliant.

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 22, 2011, 05:17:33 pm »

I would turn immigration down completely, is there anyway I can... Encourage my dorfs to breed?

In fact I am preparing  right now, I genned of the best worlds I've ever seen.

Can I take birds? They would be a steady source of leather, bone, meat and eggs, but I don't know if that's against the rules of the challenge.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 05:19:59 pm by Eктωρ »
Ektor is in a constant state of internal rage

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 22, 2011, 05:50:24 pm »

Is there anyway I can... Encourage my dorfs to breed?

Give them more free time.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13