Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Author Topic: Atempting the Cave Challenge  (Read 25528 times)

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atempting the "Cave Challenge"
« Reply #135 on: August 03, 2011, 12:02:35 am »

Is that cavern level 3? That's a bad place to embark without at least some Obsidian Swords/Wooden Shields. I modded my Dwarves so they can make Wooden Spears (NOT the same as Wooded Training Spears).
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 03, 2011, 12:22:53 am »

I believe so yes, its been a bloodbath, many dwarves have died and countless monsters.  At my lowest point I had two dwarves alive and now I have about ten or fifteen or so after the most recent migrant wave and things are actually coming up to speed.. For now.. I'm not actively playing so no pictures but I've managed to get some security set up to control entry of smaller creatures (only doors block the openings so anything big can get in).  I'm just about ready to start my metalworks (got copper for sure, I think there is iron too and flux) and using the extra migrants to get my broken food and drink industry back online.

As I mentioned I'm playing with the Fortress Defense mod and turned the savagery and monsters way up so there are constant attacks from below and its only a matter of time until invaders arrive from above.  I do have to say its nice to have a large enough group to wipe out the crundle swarms, bothersome things.

I'm amazed how long this has lasted honestly, or rather I'm amazed I've survived the endless attacks and massive death.

As for weapons, I made three military dwarves on embark and gave them a sliver warhammer, a steel crossbow (came with ambusher, just lucky I guess) and a bismouth-bronze battle axe.  There were some amazing battles.. 

My original militia commander died fighting trogs, he had injured a leg and was using a crutch in one hand and his axe in the other, he killed two and got his axe stuck in the third, tried to run and was brought down. 

My original hunter attempted to protect the civilians from the trog attack, she brought down two with her crossbow before they got into the chamber and attacked and brought her down.

My original hammerdwarf was the one who died buying my civilians time when the cave troll attacked, his heroics were chronicled earlier.

Its been a while since I've played DF but this is the way to play it, every battle is a major event due to the lack of numbers and training, there are constant attacks of one form or another, whether its a rush of crundles, or a cave crocodile breaching the underground lake to drag a farmer to his doom.  Its a war of attrition, every battle ends with the group slightly more hurt.  That all said, I think things have turned around for now, or at least until a major enemy or siege arrives.  Hopefully before that time comes I can outfit my dwarves with at least some armor (even if it is copper and leather) and set up some additional defenses.

My standard rules are still being used in addition to the 'cave challenge' rules, those are:

-No cage traps
-No walling myself in (have to leave openings, they can have doors on them but nothing stronger)
-No danger room

Normally I don't use magma for my forges but given that I also cannot use trees from above and there just isn't enough wood down here to work with I may have to, I haven't decided. 

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 03, 2011, 07:43:11 am »

I'm taking 35 of each type of booze and 30 of each pond grabber and drunian meats, 30 cave lobster and 30 plump helmets. How long's that gonna last me? I took nobody with farming skills.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 03, 2011, 10:09:59 am »

Well I started with fifty or sixty food (a mix of various cave creatures), a bunch of seeds for underground plants, and forty or so booze.  I ran out of booze before long but managed to get a plump helmet farm going and we have an underground lake (as seen in the images).  Given how often my dwarves have been hacked apart, eaten, or driven mad I wouldn't worry too greatly about your starting seven's skills.

I'd say it should last you a little while, long enough to dig out at least a basic underground farm.  I'd also set up a butcher shop somewhere cause if you are like me you'll have plenty of corpses around.

4th Galena, 254-

Things are looking up for Mutemine, our population has reached twenty, we have build our basic defenses completely and are nearly prepared to begin producing metal armor and weapons.  We have had to relocate our farms (the previous locations were overrun with monsters and the farmers petitioned to have them within the defense barrier).  Our hunters went out and slaughtered the crundle swarms and we are preparing to gather some wood to use for supplies and perhaps rebuild the burnt out hospital. 

Possibly the biggest news would be we've had our first strange mood, even if its nothing amazing it represents quite a step forward for our society.  Bah.. Unfortunately the dwarf is fixated on glassmaking, there is no sand within the caverns to use, he will die.

As expected, the glassmaker has gone mad and will soon die.. However a mason has now taken on a fey mood, we shall see what she produces.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

12th Obsidian, 254-

The stoneworker made a masterwork throne which now sits in the center of our main hall, a tribute to Dwarven skill under extreme stress and chaos.  We have succeeded in appeasing all the roaming undead comrads.  In addition our weapon/armor smith has engaged in strange activity, what will he produce I wonder?

Dear me.. It seems a vile force of darkness has arrived.. A massive amount of beak wolf hunters.. Our doors should hold... Our doors.. Must hold..

Ha! Our military smashed the invaders with on some injuries, that is what you get when you have dwarves forged in battle.

My militia commanders battle deserves praise.  He attacked multiple beak wolves at once.  First he suffered nerve damage in his weapon hand so he began to bash them with his shield, then he suffered nerve damage in his shield hand so he began to bite at them and kicking them.  He continued on, suffereing terribly injuries, until he routed the enemy. 

He still lives, in the hospital.  With so much nerve damage it may have been better had he just been killed, died in glory.  Perhaps he can still lead classes.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 12:57:04 pm by Mickey Blue »

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 03, 2011, 01:01:59 pm »

10th Granite, 255-

The end is neigh...

My entire military has been annihilated.  The beast doesn't even have a scratch on it.  Fortunately, for some reason, it cannot break down the doors.  However it still remains we are now trapped until we come up with a solution.

As I was writing this it breached one of the doors, blasting it off its hinges.  It is proceeding to attack all civilians.  Everybody is begin recruited into the military to try to fight but I see no way to stop this attack.  Mutemine is surely at an end.

There is one dwarf, critically wounded and dying of thirst laying in a bed on the other side of two locked doors from the beast.. Two sieges have arrived (goblins and dark stranglers), I have unlocked all the doors between them and the throne room, let the beast have more food.. I only pray they arrive before my last dwarf perishes.

...We did not get our wish.. Our strength has been broken.. Mutemine is no more.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 01:37:44 pm by Mickey Blue »

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 04, 2011, 10:56:09 am »

Trying again on an un-modded world. My first one, The Planet of Enchanting.

When I found it in adventure mode, the level was flooded, and I couldn't get anywhere. So I gave in and starved. I'm taking the cave as a fort.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 04, 2011, 12:54:35 pm »

Update: Digging out a dry area to set up base camp. Found no dry land, brought no logs, but plenty of food and booze. Digging around, need to find Cavern Layer No. 2. Hoping for dry areas for wood and to plant stuff.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 04, 2011, 02:05:09 pm »

In Pickkings...

Goddamn Troglodytes have returned! He was my centrepiece for my metal industry! I need coke and copper to make weapons and picks to encourage expansion. And my metalworker was gonna "Create coke" until "Urist McMetalworker has been struck down".

No migrants as of yet. I need another metalworker!

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 04, 2011, 11:57:51 pm »

Year 25...no mods except to remove the pet_exotic tags and replace them with pet tags for all pet exotics. Embarking on a glacier, no picks, no axes, 7 pesants, no meat, no booze, parent civ has no iron.
 Brought 10 tethadrite ore and 90 logs, a few breeding pair of different birds and animals, brought some 20 bags of sand, 100 units of various milks, a rope, a couple of buckets and 10 bars of copper. for food I brought 8 of stacks of plump helmet (5) set up workshops on the glacier, made charcoal, and smelted the ores and made 2 silver hammers, and 5 copper picks, 1 copper axe and a copper crossbow, and 3 stacks of copper bolts. Had the carpenter shop turn out 8 barrells, and made 200 Dwarven beer out of my plump helmet supply, used the sand to make nest boxes, and shortly had duck egg and frozen horse milk roasts produced.
 Dug down and made a temporary lodgement just below the ice, moved my supplies underground then had to dig for the caverns...

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 05, 2011, 12:15:12 am »

Breached a cavern layer about 40 levels down, and it's really extensive in the Z direction, had to go down another 40 levels before reaching the bottom, where I find a lake and a nice area of land with about 40 by 40 covered in mosses, shrubs, and trees. spotted some GCS webs in a side chamber where the spiders wiould need to cross water to reach the dwarves. I quietly just built a stone wall across that particular exploratory tunnel. I set up farms and a few food related workshops, set a pasture, gathered all the shrubs and chopped all the trees, and made a modest sized food pile restricted to seeds only, and took from my food pile in the temporary camp. Set my plump helmet spawn to cookable and made some chicken egg and plump helmet spawn roasts, converted all the found shrubs to thread, dye, leaves, syurp or brewed them up to free the seeds, and planted the farms.

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 05, 2011, 12:34:41 am »

I am going to try this. I haven't really messed with the caves before, but I'm bored.

I am bringing a pair of cats with me. Other then that, I'll see if I can stick to the rules.

Custom worldgen. Higher then normal temperature, More Desert then normal.

Embark Supplies:

2 copper Picks
Copper Battleaxe
Steel Anvil
61 ale and beer
20 of each seed (No dimple cups)
41 cave lobster
42 Pond grabber heart
14 plump helmet
10 copper bar
10 charcoal
10 Tower-cap Logs

Dwarves are peasants

Mind if I use Glass?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 01:03:52 am by RTiger »

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 05, 2011, 01:48:51 am »

Alright, so I've embarked in a Desert Volcano. I hit caverns at z-20. After some looking around, I dug to a spot where I could reach the ground level while remaining inside the wall. Then I put those metal bars to use, crafting a trap. I am building up and down, just inside the wall, making a food stockpile, and creating an area where I can tap the nearby volcano. After placing the trap, I open the fort to the cavern at large, and quickly wall off an area that I can use for farming. Then the Giant olm shows up. The trap isnt quite enough to deal with it, so I draft everyone and start pounding on the already wounded beast.

And that's the first season.

Greymane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 05, 2011, 02:04:29 am »

So, after extensive modding and testing, I'm almost ready for my second attempt at a deep dwarf fortress. Currently aiming for an alternate, not-blatant-cheat way to create soap that doesn't involve lye. My thought was to make an extremely slow growing plant (akin to tree-length growth cycle) that could be milled into something that could be used in place of lye, along with tallow or oil, to product soap. That should have almost as many steps as lye-making.

As they're shaping up, my dwarves are delightfully primitive cavern dwellers. My attempts to phase out any industry that relies on burning fuel and metal is mostly successful. Bones can now be milled and processed for fertilizer, any reasonable sort of weapon can be produced from wood and/or stone, and armor can be bone or wood in addition to leather. Also attempting to devise a way to produce viable low-strength cloth-based armor (padding), primarily just to have a use for cotton candy, but the issue of wear has so far proven insurmountable.

My biggest success was ensuring that dwarves and dwarves alone would exclusively used cave creatures instead of anything from the surface. Large rats replaced dogs, crundles more or less replaced chicken or other fowl, and dwarves now employ large animals like giant olms or giant rats as pack animals. Most of them (not crundles) can also be trained, but they the more dangerous ones still cost just enough to make it a gamble to bring them along.

Repeated testing runs have produced some really interesting and strange things, some from the mods and some just from the randomness of Dwarf Fortress itself. There was one world where every first cavern level everywhere was a barren muddy hellhole. It looked as if they had been full of water that drained out. No plants of any sort ever grew there and for the most part only cave spiders and troglodytes lived there, along with displaced elk-bird herds. An attempt to mod scales into something tannable had the weird result of making skin and silk count as tanned hides and thus I had dwarves wearing clothes made from what I can only assume was still freshly damp elf skin hats. I had War Floating Guts and War Flesh Balls at one point.

The best one, however, was the Reptilemen Mercenary Squadron, led by the heroic and dashing Clasppedbanners (whose name in dwarven I cannot recall). They actually began as an intended effort in cave diplomacy when Clasppedbanners shot and killed a Forgotten Beast who appeared outside their camp (in one puff of his blowgun, no less), turning him from hostile to friendly. After learning from elsewhere on the forum that animal-men tend to turn friendly once they attacked enemies of your civilization, I embarked upon an effort to convert the entire tribe. This was an involved process, capturing goblin raiding parties,stripping them, and dropping them from just far enough above the Reptilemen camp to injure and stun the goblins without outright killing them or exposing my workers to blowgun fire. It took multiple raiding parties and despite their advantages, the Reptilemen still lost three of their numbers (one to falling goblins), but in the end I had seven friendly Reptilemen. After that, I lured them into my fortress with a string of helpless goblins. Once they were inside, they manned my forward fortifications and did good service against numerous threats. Claspbanners personally killed two more Forgotten Beasts, becoming a well-titled badass in the process (it was one of those rarely generated cool titles too, something like Sundering of the Silver Ice), while the others all earned their stripes against blind cave ogres and troglodyte raids. As a show of good faith, I had my dwarves bring all their camp goods inside, without stealing them.

I was about to begin seeing if I could get them to pick up and additional armor or better weapons, but sadly as seems to be the habit for Dwarf Fortress for me lately, a random crash cost me the game and erased it's history from the legends of the world. Still, in the future, when I'm done modding it up (possibly giving the animal men the ability to breed, though that might result in hostile children), I think I'll try more cave diplomacy on any animal men I see instead my usual habit of just killing them and stealing their stuff.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 05, 2011, 03:35:20 am »

This seemed interesting enough so I decided to try both this with "last of the dorfs" sort of deal.
I got 17 dorfs, and that was it, time to start getting married everyone! WE NEED THOSE BABIES.

Well anyway. Down to 16 now, while building an entrance tunnel a bunch of sand raiders showed up and killed one of my dorfs. They sure got shown though! Because I forgot to mention to them that my fort's going to be carved at one side of the cavern chasm. It starts at level -15 and goes to -92. Takes a while for enemies tossed down by drawbridges to fall to their death, I tell ya.

So far there hasn't been anything too bad, the one forgotten beast which showed up was on the 2nd cave level where I sealed access to. Apparently the local wild tribe managed to kill it as well, which is good since it had deadly blood.

Need to make some weapons and armor, some of the migrants showed up with military skill so at least I got some soldiers all ready to fight.

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 05, 2011, 07:54:13 am »

Farming started I begin to look at security, it's impossiable: this cavern has an edge at the map edge that is about 70 units long and it continues up for 45 z levels, there will be no stopping flying FB's from entering. Currently I see no crundles or anything else beyond the GCS, I have an open air stairway some 40 levels deep with 3-4 sides open to the drop, it's going to be murder once my lady dwarves start squirting out babies.
 I'm building a constructed floor about 35 z levels above the surface of the lake, this is consumming all the stone I mined previously, so I'm having to dig out a couple of large chambers to get enough stone to complete the project, and as a bonus there is a small patch of cavern surface (5x7) at the far end. This is my fall back position, with a hatch cover at the stairs & most of the FB's spawnning below, a few lucky survivors could farm here. Gem cutter got a mood and made a perfect gem, I do not releave him of hauling duties, gem cutting is not usefull to a fort that does not conduct trade, except for decorating a few masterwork items just for the happiness factor.
  I got gold, and Garnerite, and tetrhedrite, I guess my military will be specializing in silver hammers, note to self, nickname the hammerer "maxwell", that is once I allow the milita to be made.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13