Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13

Author Topic: Atempting the Cave Challenge  (Read 25531 times)

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
Re: Atempting the "Cave Challenge"
« Reply #120 on: July 25, 2011, 10:44:15 am »

Tried a variation of this.  Fort was doing okay, but a forgotten beast with deadly dust came along through my herding pastures!  I panicked, but my guard animals managed to take it down, somehow.  I lost a few pets though, oh well.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 25, 2011, 11:39:40 am »

Journal of One Oslosmosnaz, Expedition Leader

Because we have spent so much time underground, I have completely forgotten how much time we have spent down here. Unlike the surface, this place does not change unless change is forced on it. We have been here more than a year, certainly, and I shall get the date off the next liaison that arrives.
Our draining chamber has been modified to include spikes. They are only made out of wood, but they will kill most things eventually. They look quite nice, actually, with the multicolored wood and all. We now need to simply wait for something to get caught in a cage so we can try it.
In a surprising turn of events, we actually ran out of stone. Most outposts do much more digging than us, as we have tried to alter the caverns here as little as possible. I told our fresh miners to dig out some fresh stone; our soldiers are now training full time, myself included. Leather and bone won't help without some skill in defending ourselves. We spotted a large eight-legged monster out in the caverns; our bookkeeper informed me it was a giant cave spider and that they were valuable. It left soon after we spotted it, however, and was replaced by a cave ogre. Despite many nasty creatures showing their ugly faces, we have yet to be attacked by anything other than the now drowned troll.
Our doctor, with nothing but a scalp injury, is still in bed. I flipped his bed over and told him that if he didn't start pulling his weight then we would use him as bait for some cave ogres. He didn't go to bed for a week after I said that; I found him asleep at one of the tables. I wasn't kidding, either. With no experience for a year, however, he needed a refresher course. I asked one of our manual laborers, Nuklat, to come with me. I led her down to the spike pit, threw her in, locked the door, and pulled the lever. She came out with a broken arm; I apologized, claimed I had slipped, and brought her up to our doctor. It turns out our bookkeeper is better at identifying wounds than our doctor, so I told him to go over any patients and identify their wounds. He said that he would be happy to.
Nuklat was fixed up, but we have a lack of one vital resource; soap. I ran another manual laborer through the process of making it and told her to get to work. She cranked out a handful of soap a bit later. We have a small stockpile of it for when anyone else gets injured.
Later on, we saw some curious beasts out in the caverns. They were little horned devils, resembling the imps of our mythology. I asked our bookkeeper how I should approach them; gods, even the messengers of the gods, must be treated with utmost respect. He laughed and said they were crundles, mindless beasts. I gathered our four-woman (and one man) army and went out to cleanse the place of these impostors.
They died extremely easily. The few halfhearted attacks they made only scraped our armor. Rotstong proved the power of a true demon by slaying six of the beasts herself; the rest of us only got three between us. The first true battle in this cavern was a huge success, and I told everyone to bring the corpses in. Crundle has been added to the menu. Our woodcutter was attacked by a surviving crundle; he was only slightly wounded with a few gashes on his leg, and had beaten the best unconscious by the time we arrived. Our food stores are back up, but I have one of our manual laborers planting these little purple mushrooms, just in case. They aren't very tasty, but our bookkeeper assures us that they are edible.
The new liaison arrived shortly after our crundle slaughter. He once again offered to make us a formal settlement. However, I have given it some thought, and I don't want to accept that honor. Someone might get drunk on power and start ordering production, and with no metal of any kind imprisonments and executions would start soon. We don't need that. Unfortunately, we completely forgot about the diplomat and sealed the entrance behind him. He went insane after a while and attacked the nearest person, me. I sidestepped, neatly as could be, and stabbed him through the head. We buried him alongside the previous liaison.
Rotstong had a child, the first of the outpost. It was a normal child, unfortunately, but it was a girl, so it wasn't a total loss. Several of our manual laborers married, and now every male in the fortress has been claimed except Otuk. Hopefully, our ranks will start to swell a bit, although it will be a long time until any of them are ready to fight.
I gave up a while after Rotstong had given birth and went outside. It was around fall, seeing as the diplomat had arrived, but it was killing me to not know. I was greeted by the beautiful sight of lush green fields, with trees just starting to bloom in the somewhat chilly air. This underground place is so alien and different, and I have started adapting to life down there. When the sun came out from behind a cloud, it hurt my face and made me feel dizzy. I would leave in a heartbeat, but I am under the orders of the Empress, may she live long, herself. I must continue on and tame this wild land.

Note:
It actually took me forever to realize I needed to process fat in a kitchen before I could make soap, so I made some long after the story says I did. I facepalmed hard over that, and the spare I tossed in the spike trap has an infection. Ah well.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 11:43:19 am by Crazy Cow »

wolfic

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 25, 2011, 04:03:25 pm »

I tried this over the weekend and managed to get my fort up to around 50 dwarves. I embarked near a cave to save myself the trouble of digging down to the cavern and was lucky enough to have a magma pool on the first cavern layer. The only mineral available in the cavern was galena so my dwarves mainly fought with silver weapons while drinking out of lead barrels.

This experience seems to have given them a rather twisted sense of humor. Two dwarves died dodging naked mole dog attacks, shortly after my bonecarver created an artifact naked mole dog chain. The very first engraving in the fort is the expedition leader cowering and surrounded by toads, he hates toads.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 25, 2011, 09:37:04 pm »

Haven't updated in a while. Lots of forts were killed, flooded, starved, or bored to death. I recently edited the caverns to be more spaceous, and increased the number of megabeasts, which has been a problem. 6 of my past forts have been killed by the same titan: A giant, 3-eyed turkey with heart-rotting spittle. I had, repeatedly, failed to start up my military at a reasonable time. These were not hovels carved into dirt; they were grand fortresses, hall of stone and metal and gemstone any dwarf would be proud to dwell in.

This time when it came, I was ready. I set up two bridges so that when it charged down my stairwell, I would raise them both, trapping it. I left it there for 2 years while I dug down deeper and deeper. Hit cavern level 3 and found two magma pools, adamantine, and a lake. The adamantine goes right up through where I planned on making my dining room. Convenient.

In time, I almost forgot about the turkey, but saddly for it, not quite. I've spent some time digging out a chamber around the area it's trapped and carving fortifications into the walls. My Cavern Rangers are moving into position as we speak, and soon it will be studded with Nether-Caps. Sure, I could use Iron, Bronze, or Brass, but I want this thing to suffer. The last fort it killed had a herd of tame Rutherers, a pack of War Naked Mole Dogs, and a Short Sword carved out of Bloodstone.

Once the beast is so broken it can't move, my Fortress Guard will move in to avenge their brothers and sisters. This time, the Fortress Guard aren't unarmored and few. Their shields are thick, their swords are sharp, and they are clad in the bones and skins of those who dared to stand against Depthhall. This beast's hide will clothe an army, it's meat will feed generations. This time the beast does not win. The dwarves will have their fortress.
Losing is fun, motherfucker.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 10:24:58 pm by franti »
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 25, 2011, 09:58:06 pm »

Welcome to Dwarf Fortress.
You are amazing, my friend.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 25, 2011, 10:21:58 pm »

Update- My Rangers ran out of arrows, and I sent in the Fortress Guard. There wasn't a bone on this thing that wasn't broken or an organ that wasn't bruised. There were pools of blood deep enough to drown a crundle. My Militia Captain charged in. The beast took a halfhearted swipe at him, colapsed from exhaustion, and promptly had his head kicked in. I like to think that the last thing in that went through it's mind, other than a Black Bronze Boot, was that it should've picked on the elves.

Another Update- On the way back down to the halls, my Militia Captain took a little detour to stab a Bugbat, which I guess was enough to get him to become attached to his *Obsidian Shortsword*.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 10:31:50 pm by franti »
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 27, 2011, 12:50:07 am »

Fortress has been going well since I killed the turkey. 4 years later, I managed to mod, capture, and raise a large pack of Naked Mole Dogs. In arena testing, they beat dogs in a fight. Too bad they live 3 years. I'm currently carving out my Cavern Ranger tunnels, and I'm adding small stockpiles of food and ammo along them. So far, tunnels leading out from a rock formation in front of my base lead throughout the 1st and 2nd caverns on multiple z-levels. 3rd is in the works.

Had a Blind Cave Ogre kill a farmer and a woodcutter before I maneuvered two cavern rangers into position overhead to kill him. Shooting wooden bolts at a titan for 2 months really levels up Archery.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 30, 2011, 03:05:10 pm »

Haven't played for a whole damn week. I was off at Scout camp in Wisconsin.

Anyways, I'm gonna see whether my cavern camps will work out or not. I'm going slightly delusional from lack of dwarven entertainment.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 30, 2011, 05:44:57 pm »

Update: That troglodyte went away, and so I'm safe and am setting up 1-tile-pastures for my two cats so I can explore my first cavern layer without the need for a military.

Update 2: I hit a deep pit and found a downward passage. Found tons of new trees like tunnel tubes and black-caps to hack down. No new ores other than bismuthinite so far.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 06:23:41 pm by UristMcHuman »

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
  • A bastion of crazy in a small area near Hurricanes
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 31, 2011, 05:23:15 am »

I tried the challenge. Sure, just breach some caves and trade with no one. An easy task for a relative newb. I basically followed the OP, and brought two miners, two doctors and 3 swordsdorfs.

With that in mind, The Hermitic Chambers, Oshoshmafol, dropped their wagon off somewhere - it doesn't matter where, really - and started down.

Well - after the earth-shattering boom - that is. I'm sure it was nothing good, but we'll deal with that later. After a bit of digging, we've got a good idea of the first stop downward. There's a nice large field that seems like just the spot to break through. There was a lake or something, we could only see a small bit of it, but it's draining somewhere.

We've lost one of our miners, Solon Domasluslem. Somehow on some stairway a rodent woman blowgunner managed to snipe him. I conscripted one of our good doctors to the task of mining to compensate. I figure that if he strikes his own foot, he can fix it. (Maybe if he gets sniped he'll fix what ails, too. But I've met many a dorf. In no way should anyone hope for that.)

I'm not sure where the little snot is, or I'd have sent our 3 swordsdwarves out. The big problem with this is that now my pansy miners are afraid to dig any more, either for an impromptu barracks or to breach the cave, so as to get to face those 11 rodent bastards.

After a drink and a nap, the miners went back to work, yay. We received 4 migrants the other day. Some idiot brought a child. Well, that's a healthy environment. Sadly, I think the child is an orphan... which makes a certain amount of sense coming from some sick dwarf-brain.

While our hole is still mild going, our recruitment poster doesn't shine like a beacon of hope here, so the fact that we got 3 + child is an unexpected niceness. We did get two recruits out of it, though. I do feel kinda bad drafting the gem setter, but despite his insisting, I fail to see how a fish dissector is important to us. We did find out how Solon died. Apparently one of the stairs was designated as up/down, leaving a nice practice area to our feet for them blowdarts.

The lake is now nothing but moist dirt. Free farm land, or a deadly trap waiting to return water to us? It is decided that we might be wiser to plan for leaving instead. Nothing about that rumbling makes anyone happy, so we'll be trying a quieter spot.

[A cavern collapsed on lvl -68 at embark. My FPS flew to hovering at 15 or so for 4 months. It's gotten better, if we were playing golf. 5-8 is now about normal at the begining of our first fall season. With only 8 dorfs, this won't be getting more bearable, so I am calling this one over.]

[I tried a second embark, and 88 FPS vs. the 6 I had made me forget 'ow well the game runs usually. So when 6 months passed and I was well into cavern 1, and 5 troggies showed up, well nothing went well in fort number two. (Happened way too fast, it did. I had just finished digging a few holes for startup crafting spots and a barracks on layer 1. No one ever got to train or to make a thing.)]

I'll be trying again with what I have learned, so expect a post somewhere soon.
The cat, Anom, approves of Scamps' methods. She admires fine scars on her human's body. She purrs in a method most disturbing. She thinks Scamps needs to train the human better. She rolls on the floor in a luxurious pile of catnip. She attacks her human lightly.
Rimamused  -  Dorfen Itza

Greymane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 01, 2011, 06:44:54 pm »

This was the thread that inspired me to pick up Dwarf Fortress after a long hiatus, so I thought I'd share my experience with a fortress I just lost. I took this challenge to the extreme, playing on world generated with virtually no metal, giving my dwarves the [WOOD_WEAPONS] and [WOOD_ARMOR] tags, and generally editing things to ensure that metal and it's production were virtually unknown. Then I embarked on the harshest wintery hell hole the world had to offer, a glacial shelf infested by polar bears and wolves (and also lots and lots of elk, but... well, those aren't as frightening) to encourage myself to get the heck to the caverns. My team consisted of a miner/mason, a miner/carpenter, a doctor, three spear dwarves, and a leather worker/stonecrafter. Thanks to the game defaulting me to a pair of ultra-expensive steel picks, which I had traded in, we had plenty of supplies. Tons of food, booze, leather, cloth, and wood... all of which I realized almost too late I was going to have to find room for.

Things started off a little rough, as it took my miners some time to actually reach a cavern level. I managed to completely bypass the first level and go straight to the second. While they cleared out a space, my other dwarves were at work getting my military equipped as The Black Guard, giant bat-leather armored soldiers with black-cap spears and shields, wearing white silk cloaks and face veils. This trio would prove their worth to the fortress on multiple occasions, taking their seemingly puny spears up against everything from blind cave trolls to giant olms and dispatching them all.

After my first two waves of immigrants bumped my fortress population up to 18, I supplemented them with a trio of part-time crossbowmen. A rather puny militia with completely mismatched equipment consisting mainly of Black Guard cast-offs. I had found the first cavern shortly before that wave arrived and discovered a tribe of hostile snakemen who I would have mined straight into had I been one-tile over on my initial stairway. The fortress experienced it's first loss around then too, when an immigrant tanner wandered into the first cavern and was killed by a pair of troglodytes. The Black Guard made short work of them and the newly arrived dwarf had no friends or family to mourn him, but I wouldn't realize until later how much I would miss the loss of that tanner, because he was the last immigrant I would ever receive. My fortress population would never exceed 17 in it's entire existence.

Physically, my fortress was fairly secure. The only direct entrance was a trio of doors that actually opened up onto a small gap I had to bridge myself and the well I had built onto a section of stone that over hung the massive lake that made up most of the second cavern. I eliminated the snakeman tribe, a slaughter despite the help the snakemen got from a massive swarm of krundles and a cave alligator, and plundered their camp. Their captain had become a Legendary fighter in the effort and to honor him I gave the squad a much needed break from training and combat patrol. Unfortunately, this was where things started to go wrong, as shortly afterwards he was ambushed and killed by a giant cave spider. I rushed the rest of my military out to avenge him, but in the battle another of the Black Guard was killed, leaving one dwarf, Oddom.

Oddom became something of a legend for the fortress in it's final year. After I was certain his mood had stabilized (he had been friends with one Black Guard and the captain's lover, so losing both really hit him hard) and that he would not go insane and butcher the fortress, I appointed him to the position of militia commander. The militia by this point consisted of he and the three other dwarves and Oddom was the only one who was kept as a professional soldier. He spent time between drills hunting down cave crocodiles and often killed them in one blow. Between he and the farmers, we had plenty of food and the low population made it easy to keep plentiful booze on hand. Despite set backs, things seemed to be going well.

When the first Forgotten Beast arrived, I didn't even attempt to confront it but tried to order my dwarves to hole up in the fortress. Unfortunately, one of the farmers decided it was better to first finish picking mushrooms not more than three tiles of the beast first and when he ran, he lured it straight for my fort. Figuring by then I had nothing to do but go out in a blaze of glory. I activated the militia and ordered they and Oddom to assault the beast. It was a massive scorpion made of stone and I fully expected a complete slaughter. However, when I activated the militia, the farmer who had until that point been fleeing abruptly turned and engaged the beast. I had forgotten he was on the militia and rather than being torn to pieces, he managed to wrestle it across a few tiles, slowing it down long enough for Oddom and the others to arrive. The crossbowmen were useless, not landing a single bolt on the thing, but Oddom personally tore the beast away from it's current fight and proceeded to duel it alone. The combat log was a massive string of reports about Oddom stabbing, kicking, punching, and even biting the beast while it in turn was unable to strike him a single time. In the end, Oddom drove his spear through it's head and destroyed it's brain.

Then he named his spear 'Glowfire.' I have no idea why.

Another Forgotten Beast, this one a massive lizard with poison spittle arrived soon after and within a few months of that a second, this one a flying snail with paralytic dust. The first beast seemed content to keep well away from the fortress, but the second charged straight to it and flew up through my well, immediately setting upon and killing my expedition leader. It reached the hall and began to slaughter my other dwarves as well. I threw my soldiers at it desperately. The three militia crossbowmen actually damaged it slightly, before they were all rendered paralyzed. Oddom, however, lunged for the beast and killed it in a single blow of Glowfire. Unfortunately, he was caught in a cloud of the dust and paralyzed as well. Sadly, none of the soldiers would recover, suffocating within the hospital while my doctor began to tantrum from his friends, Oddom and the expedition leader, dying.

The doctor, who doubled as my butcher just for the sake of macabe humor and because I had nothing for him to do, continued to tantrum, eventually killing another dwarf. By this point, I had 8 dwarves left, a sad and ragged lot who were more occupied in putting the dead to rest in their tombs than with anything else.

At the eve of my fortresses downfall, the doctor's wife had a child, his tantrums ending and the mood across the entire fort seeming to briefly lift. Then, a door was reported destroyed. The final Forgotten Beast had come. It began to slaughter everyone in sight, catching two dwarves in the open, one of them the doctor. The doctor actually tried to fight it, wrestling with it for several moment before being killed. Those moments allowed me to seal his wife and new born child into a bedroom, while the Beast chased the rest into the dining hall where they were ordered to go in an emergency. With nothing left to lose, I tried to get the five survivors to the surface. The Beast followed them, picking them off one by one as they went up the stairs. The last dwarf made it to the surface, into the snow storm that awaited him, and sealed the hatch behind him. The Beast merely bashed through, killing him with a blast of poison spittle to the face.

As it drifted away from the stairwell and began to wander the surface, I finally released the doctor's wife from her room. She wandered towards the dining room, stepped inside, set her child on the floor, and threw herself down the well. The baby remained, sitting in place on the floor...

... and then my game crashed and now the fortress and it's history does not even show up in the Legends.

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 02, 2011, 09:30:13 am »

:o

Wow, Greymane.  Epic story is epic.  Nice writing!
DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 02, 2011, 01:29:45 pm »

I've decided I'm gonna give this a try, I haven't played DF for a little while (been waiting for that epic new version to come out) but I need my fix.  I'm playing with Dig Deeper and Fort Defense so I don't anticipate lasting long but it should be an interesting end :)  To make it even more interesting I've altered the advanced settings to give me more open caves and increase the overall savagery of the world.   Also not using any add ons such as DT (the horror!), its actually not as bad as I remember it being.

The Intense Gates have arrived at their destination.  At first it all appeared reasonable, their goal was to reestablish the skill sets of their ancestors.  At first it all seemed pretty nice.  A tall rock spire jutted far out of the ground.  The expedition leader determined they would set their wagon up on top of the spire for the best view.  The land was lush, wondrous, dotted with a few small lakes with fish in them, plenty of trees (shame we aren't allowed to use them) and lush flat grassland.  The entrance to the cave they were looking for is at the base of the spire and descends downward.

Things turned sour early on however, Sakzul the Scout returned with some unfortunate news, there were a few giant moles in the cave itself which could pose a problem but much worse was below.  In the depths of the cave lived Urvad, a skeletal Giant of immense size.  Surrounding him were a small collection of trinkets, some iron gauntlets, a helmet but more curiously the body of somebody named Ardon Ludosmost, who he was or what lead him to this place we do not know, perhaps we can request some information from the capital on this. 

We will start our descent into the cave and establish a 'beachhead' of sorts, a small section where we can group and start sending raids deeper into the cavern to set up a base of operations. 

Pray for us.. Pray for us all..

-We will send future information later in the season.

23 Granite, 253-

There are dwarf corpses here! What went on here before our arrival? We began our descent into the cavern when the giant attacked, we were able to fight and kill him.  The Hammerdwarf suffered some serious injuries but it appears she will survive, overall its a good thing I invested in some better weapons (including a silver warhammer) before traveling here.  We are beginning to cave into the stone to move our supplies inside and regroup before delving deeper into the stone halls of old..

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

10th Felsite, 253-

We've had our first death, our hammerdwarf was struck down by a cave troll.  We were building a small walled off area near a water source when we were ambushed.  Bembul heroically held off the troll while the rest of the expedition retreated to a safer area and the other fighters established themselves.  Bembul fought well, injuring the troll, but ultimately was brought down when the troll picked him up by the foot and punched his head in.  We responded in kind however, when the troll arrived at the rest of the expedition he was met with an iron bolt to the left lung and an axe to his own head, he was brought down quickly. We are saddened by our loss and will work to bury Bembul and continue working towards establishing a continuous food and drink supply.

As if things weren't interesting enough, one of those bodies we found in the giants cave has come back as a ghost! He is hanging around our advance post, not causing too much trouble.  The giant is dead and we are trying to work our way down to his cavern to claim the handful of armor (every little bit helps) and I guess now we will bury the bodies... After that a cave crocodile attacked from the lake, killing one of the farmers.  Zasit the Axedwarf chased it down and managed to hack it to pieces, ultimately taking its head off.  He suffered an injury to one of his hands as a result.  Its clear that the wildlife here is enough to bring us down if we don't increase our security right away.

We were seven, we are down to three..

-4th Hematite, 253-

Finally some good luck, discovered some ore; we believe that some is iron but there is certainly a large amount of copper.  Not an.. Ideal metal to work with, but better then nothing.  Clearly we need to arm up as fast as possible or we'll all be destroyed, hopefully we get reinforcements soon.  We expanded an area to store the metal and dug it up and get our armor/metalsmith to work (before he's eaten by something).
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 08:07:26 pm by Mickey Blue »

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 02, 2011, 04:43:48 pm »

We have received some new information from the capital, it turns out that giant we brought down was quite old and has been wandering the world making enemies for some time.  What was odd is we found no direct evidence that the body in his cave was linked to her, in fact on record he has only one kill and it was somebody else.. Stranger indeed, the bodies of Arspun and the various dwarves remains unexplained.

While harvesting some of our mushrooms we were attacked by a giant bat, it killed our doctor and severely wounded our militia commander (killed a giant, a crocodile, a troll, and various smaller creatures only to be so wounded by a bat), hopefully he can get the treatment he needs but I honestly don't see how.

The metalsmith has gone stark raving mad! We are down to three now and one is critically wounded.. This cave is likely to swallow us all up.

Immigrants have arrived! Three of the original seven remain..

Zazit, the Military Dwarf.. Laying badly wounded, bleeding, next to the underground lake..

Imush, the Metalsmith.. Dancing naked on top of one of our chairs in the main hall, completely insane.

Lokum, the Hunter.. Gathering used bolts from the fight with the bat and trying to hold the line against the monsters.. She is the last able bodied warrior now.

Long Live Mutemine!

14th Malachite, 253-

Just when things were looking up they weren't.  A wave of troglodytes descended on the migrants, Lokum held them off as long as possible but was brought down, the rest of the migrants together managed to defend but several were killed.

Autumn has come... We are down to three dwarves again, the entire original party has been destroyed.  Three hardy dwarves clearing out bodies, digging out defenses, attempting to mine some metal, and of course keeping up on food stores.  We are preparing primary defensive structures for the caverns to help keep some of the smaller creatures out (I will stand by my usual rules of not allowing myself to 'wall myself off', doors only), its not much but its a start.  What we really need are more bodies.. Err.. Living ones, to help get the work done.

It has started raining....

Winter is upon us.. So much blood.. There are corpses of dwarves and trogs and giant rats and all other manner of beasts, they clog the hallways.  There are five dwarves left in the tunnels below scratching out a survival.  Ok.. Ok.. Think positive.. Good news, we have managed to build most of our defensive structures, that will give us a protected area (well.. protected until something.. 'large'.. arrives) to get our supplies organized, prepare some more steady food, and start training our military.  We've built up doors to the outside, several of them.  At some point the enemy will come, frogmen, tigermen, something.  We can wait them out as long as they cannot get in.  Or we can try to let them in with controlled amounts, or start building traps to take them down, after all they will have valuable weapons and armor with them... Danger.. Lots of danger..

« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 06:47:48 pm by Mickey Blue »

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 02, 2011, 07:22:02 pm »

12th Obsidian, 253-

Things are starting to look up! We are still only five dwarves strong but we have found some metal and magma.  We found the magma sea as well but sadly that is off limits for this expedition, as is the valuable blue stone that lies inside it.  However we did find a tube of magma above the sea, we are setting up a small forge to get weapon and armor production going, if we are going to only be five strong we must be very strong, we will be 'dwarf'.  We must get the second wall in the caverns up to keep out unexpected guests and then prepare for.. Stronger things..

Dispatch a runner to the capital, we need more bodies.

FIRE! A fire imp burst through the floor from the magma and attacked our main defensive position.  We brought it down as fast as possible but three of the five dwarves were actively burning and a massive fire was started in the caverns.  It burned away much of our stores, destroyed the hospital and killed three by the time it was over (at least it took some of those blasted crundles with it).  We are down to two, in a burnt out hole in the ground awaiting our death..

Spring is here..

3rd Felsite, 254-

A cluster of migrants have arrived breathing new life into the fortress! We aren't dead yet! Man the farms, dig out the forges, finish the walls!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 08:22:19 pm by Mickey Blue »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13