Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Little Tweaks  (Read 1673 times)

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Little Tweaks
« on: July 20, 2011, 02:54:06 am »

What little tweaks do you do? What tiny little mods do you make to the raws? There's good old [PET_EXOTIC]->[PET], but what else is there?

I know I have [SHELL] on scales so that I can make things out of crundle scales and so on, and sometimes [HORN] on nails, but I don't really know what to do with feathers. I feel like everything should either rot away or be useful in some way.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Little Tweaks
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 04:47:13 am »

I added the [YARN] tag to spider silk, in order that my 31.14 generated fort doesn't collapse from failed yarn moods.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

tmrt

• Bay Watcher
  • Black-Clad Voyeur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 05:33:00 am »

There are plenty. Most popular tweaks are the removal of [GOOD] and [EVIL] from feather wood, glumprong, sun berry and sliver barb plants and the [NO_EAT] tag to kobolds which makes them actually survive the world generation.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 05:38:08 am by tmrt »

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 08:01:23 am »

I remove the GOOD and EVIL tags to the various plants, as well as changing it so that glumprong and featherwood have a small spawn rate and are more valuable.  Also, I changed phantom spider silk to be more expensive than normal spider silk, but not nearly as expensive as GCS silk.  And last but not least, I changed the raws to make dwarves butcher and thus eat sentient creatures.  :D
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 08:23:19 am »

Removed aquifers - many people enjoy them but I am not one of them.
Butchering sentients - keeps the refuse pile manageable, old meat decays faster than a skeleton.
Fortress Defense mod - goblin sieges get a little weak, let's be honest.
I also used a training mod that let my workers train their skills without consuming materials, but I've stopped using that.
At one point I had included an armor stand that actually stored armor, it required a helm, 2 gauntlets, a breastplate, mail shirt, greaves, and boots, as well as an actual armor stand, and modded the valuable metals to be worked into armor and weapons.  The effect was masterwork platinum sets of full plate armor, making any room insanely valuable.
I'm likely to add totem buildings eventually, that require a totem item to build and do nothing except sit there foreboding in the halls/entrance.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 09:09:55 am »

There are plenty. Most popular tweaks are the removal of [GOOD] and [EVIL] from feather wood, glumprong, sun berry and sliver barb plants and the [NO_EAT] tag to kobolds which makes them actually survive the world generation.
I sort of wondered why they weren't turning up. Why do kobolds all starve during worldgen?

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 09:15:52 am »

due to a hole in the coding toady's said that since the don't farm or trade they don't get any food at all during creation, so yes.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 10:10:04 am »

I don't mod my game at all.  Something about doing it rubs me the wrong way, even if something is bugged.

I just realized that I haven't seen kobolds myself but I'm not lamenting that in the slightest.  Murdering little sneaks.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 10:14:12 am »

Kobolds are so adorable though o_o
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

tmrt

• Bay Watcher
  • Black-Clad Voyeur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 10:29:35 am »

Kobolds are so adorable though o_o

Deekin? *puppy eyes*

I don't mod my game at all.  Something about doing it rubs me the wrong way, even if something is bugged.

I just realized that I haven't seen kobolds myself but I'm not lamenting that in the slightest.  Murdering little sneaks.

That is a personal matter, actually. Game is developed by single person, Toady is too busy to keep track of everything, minimal modding can be considered restoration, etc. Like when Quietust discovered that players are unable to create crystal glass items because Toady got a single line of code wrong.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 10:38:29 am »

NoExotic. Remove [ADOPTS_OWNER] from cats. Display case mod.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 10:40:05 am »

I like modding, it allows to tweak the game to fit the user just right. However, the version I'm currently playing is 100% vanilla. I don't usually domesticate anything, so I haven't bothered tampering with the pet tags.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 11:48:01 am »

To me it's like a car.  You can get a car straight off the lot and say you're driving it as-is, but you might like it better if you adjusted the seats or moved the mirror.  Not everyone is the same, we all have a slightly different flavor for what we like.  Vanilla DF is a big draw, people like the game, but they may not like one specific bit.  Rather than saying "deal with it", you're able to mod it.  Whips are overpowered?  Tone them down!  Badgers ruining the game?  Remove them!  Goblins not challenging enough?  Make them bigger!  You can tweak anything to suit your tastes, and I think that gives it a lot of appeal.  A game creator's vision might be a good one, but you can't please everyone with one layout.  Being able to change the layout makes it possible to appeal to almost everyone.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 12:14:24 pm »

First, bugfixes:
1. (new in current version) Kobolds get the ability to survive without food or drink. (Prevents kobolds from dying out in worldgen.)
2. Whips get toned down to something approaching reasonable by reducing their size. (Minimizes the "bullets with handles" problem.)
3. PET_EXOTIC becomes PET in all RAWs. (Prevents the "you can't tame anything you catch, ha ha" problem.)
4. (new in current version) [GOOD] and [EVIL] trees and fruit-producing shrubs have these tags removed. (Fixes "no sun berries" issue.)

Then some flavor/balance changes:
5. Cinnabar and Cobaltite become iron ores instead of useless ores. (Prevents "low scarcity, but no iron" issue.)
6. All soils are both sand and clay (plain earthenware). (Prevents the "no glass/pottery industry here" issues.)
7. Aquifers are disabled. (Prevents the "I don't want to see another aquifer again, ever, because they aren't fun." problem.)

Then some QoL additions unrelated to the RAWs:
8. Soundsense is installed. ("DF is much better with it!")
9. Reveal is permitted to prevent unexpected penetrations of magma/groundwater/caverns when designating. ("Stonecunning")
10. DT is installed and used. (See "Soundsense", above.)

If I want to embark somewhere without iron, that's easy to find/generate in the current version. No clay or sand? Also easy to get. Being able to create the "all resources available" spot which is also an Untamed Wilds area next to a volcano? Not so much, and I don't want to stare at the worldgen for that long. I want a site where success or failure is MY fault as a failure to plan, not a feature of the available resources being unavailable or insufficient.

Recent changes to worldgen and site finder (no layer ID before embark) are like a big, big middle finger to me as a player, so I feel no remorse in avoiding the problems they cause through external means. DF is a sandbox. If I want to limit my tools to make an embark harder to survive, that's cake. If I want to make an 'ideal' spot, though, it's much harder to generate (without reducing the world to featureless plains of one terrain type, etc) an ideal spot (and find it later).

Vanilla DF is a big draw, people like the game, but they may not like one specific bit.  Rather than saying "deal with it", you're able to mod it.  Whips are overpowered?  Tone them down!  Badgers ruining the game?  Remove them!  Goblins not challenging enough?  Make them bigger!  You can tweak anything to suit your tastes, and I think that gives it a lot of appeal.  A game creator's vision might be a good one, but you can't please everyone with one layout.  Being able to change the layout makes it possible to appeal to almost everyone.
Also, this.

It's not just "I don't like that", but "I can fix that buggy behavior by doing THIS" sorts of things that really sell modding to me, though. They allow me to put up with constant breaks in behavior caused by versio increments by fixing the underlying issues in the RAWs.

(Also, a BIG shout out to Lazy Newb Pack here, because without that, my lazy butt would long since have stopped playing DF, as constantly reinstalling gets old fast.)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 12:17:15 pm by Nameless Archon »

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 12:25:19 pm »

I like modding, it allows to tweak the game to fit the user just right. However, the version I'm currently playing is 100% vanilla. I don't usually domesticate anything, so I haven't bothered tampering with the pet tags.

Things like giving kobolds [NO_EAT]  and switching [PET_EXOTIC] to [PET] after getting a dungeon master go straight under "as it's meant to be played", as far as I'm concerned. Personally, I also have [SHELL] and [HORN] added to scales and nails, respectively, just because dwarves really should eat every part of their enemies.

I still don't know what to do with feathers. Maybe I'll make them [HORN] and put them on things? Will that work right? I'll go ask modding.
Pages: [1] 2