Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF temperature question?  (Read 1510 times)

Mister Dirks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF temperature question?
« on: July 20, 2011, 02:21:18 am »

So i embarked on a scorching desert a while back, and im doing pretty well. Quite a bit of dwarves are living in my fortress, and im expecting a invasion soon.  Now, would it be possible, when the siege comes, that i raise my bridge to form a wall blockading them from entering my fort, will they die in the heat if they stay there for a while? Seems to work when my dwarves are stuck outside  :-\
Every village = Farm plots
Vegetables grow and wither...
Thats about 100 tiles of dead food...

NECROMANCY, RAISE THE VEGETABLES!
WE WILL RULE THE WORLD THROUGH HEALTHY GOODNESS!!

Dradym

• Bay Watcher
  • if its hard, overly complex, but fun, its a dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: DF temperature question?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 05:07:58 am »

they will stay out there for prolly longer than you like, making it deadly for migrants and or traders to come into your fort without fighting them.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 05:11:50 am »

This depends on how scorching your map really is. "Scorching" covers quite a huge continuum of temperatures, just as "Freezing" does.

If your dwarves tend to melt when they're outside and when it rains (does it rain in the desert?), then the invaders will do the same.

If your dwarves can run around outside during rain, then the invaders will be bored, but fine.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 05:44:43 am »

If your dwarves tend to melt when they're outside and when it rains (does it rain in the desert?)

The proper thing to do is to pump water outside and see if it turns to steam.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 08:10:25 am »

Deadly desert rain has been mostly fixed.  I've not heard about it since 40d (earlier?) when temperature was crazy.  You could steam cook any creature, and rain was lethal.  Heat has been mostly nerfed, or else creatures have higher tolerances.  Overall though, unless you modded your worldgen in the world_gen.txt for insane temperatures, no, nothing will die.  Granted, if you do open said file, you can make a world just at lethal temperature, where summers are deadly and winter is almost-deadly.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 08:15:23 am »

Deadly desert rain has been mostly fixed.
No, it still occurs, if you go for the *real* scorching areas. Those with yellow "No Trade" marks for all civilisations. You have to tweak the temperature maximum in the advanced world gen parameters to hit these sorts of "scorching" - but oh yes, it still exists.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 08:22:35 am »

(does it rain in the desert?)

In my desert fort the rain quite literally never stops, it's a wonder that the place is a desert at all...
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Mister Dirks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 04:58:09 pm »

Alright i tried, and the gobbos didnt die, they just chilled at the entrance for quite a while. But now im confused. I lowered the drawbridge and raised it and killed a handfull of the gobbos, but the rest of them went down the service staircase to the bottom of my pit and just chilled there, even when i lowered the bridge. I made the doors to the fort passable, but i forgot to forbid the items that the dead gobbos left, and every dwarf went charging down the staircase and got slaughtered by the gobbos. I was surprised, its like they knew they were sieging a fort commanded by a very forgetful dorf!
Every village = Farm plots
Vegetables grow and wither...
Thats about 100 tiles of dead food...

NECROMANCY, RAISE THE VEGETABLES!
WE WILL RULE THE WORLD THROUGH HEALTHY GOODNESS!!