Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: "Added ability to do designations over Z levels (e.g. long up/down staircases)."  (Read 4157 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile

Arthritis, Forgotten Beast is hit by the *Good News*, shattering the skull and tearing the brain!

Arthritis, Forgotten Beast, has been struck down.

My hands rejoice!
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile

* KillerClowns fires an AK-47 jubilantly in the air.

Funny thing is, I didn't actually have it until a few moments ago, and it's sort of vanished now.

But in all seriousness, hallelujah, that is going to save me a lot of trouble while digging down to the magma sea.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile

Huh? did Toady upgrade to 31.26?

WHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile

But in all seriousness, hallelujah, that is going to save me a lot of trouble while digging down to the magma sea.
Single-tile vertical designation can be done by designating the tile using the mouse and then keeping your finger on the button while shifting between levels.

But this will make box fortresses a lot easier to create.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This

YUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I've been waiting for 3D designations for a looooong time.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Heh, Toady probably thinks of this as a minor improvement.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile

It was bound to come - burrows already have 3D. Nice anyway! Especially for those who favor the cubical fort designs.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wow, so I no longer have to calculate where things are anymore? I can just say "Hey... Keep digging down" and they will do it?

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Now even my hands are looking forward to the next version.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile

I'm slightly confused whether this also means we'll finally be able to build downwards, though.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm slightly confused whether this also means we'll finally be able to build downwards, though.
I don't think so, at least not directly. Full post:
Fixed up a broken temple and some predator-type critters that weren't being placed down in sewers correctly. Added ability to do designations over Z levels (e.g. long up/down staircases).
Looks like it's just support for multi-z-level designations, like you can do with burrows. Building constructions downward would require considerably more work on Toady's part, I believe, but he's working on it. Ladders, ropes, and all that.

EDIT: To be more clear, each level of building requires a path for dwarves to get to it and a path to relevant materials. Multi-z-level constructions generally do not meet these requirements, so it'll be a while before we see that functioning.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 12:16:39 am by Lectorog »

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile

You can already construct a stair underneath another stair. IIRC that was added way back in the April 2010 31.01 update.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, better late than never...
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My head just exploded! This is now my favourite part of the update.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile

I was going to post about this as soon as I saw it. This is so awesome.  :D
Pages: [1] 2 3