Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: "Added ability to do designations over Z levels (e.g. long up/down staircases)."  (Read 4147 times)

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is by far the best update in the next release!  :D
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.

MrFluffums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So it isn't out yet?  Damn, I was hoping to have it asap  :-\

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile

relax...I SAID RELAX....NO, DON'T DO THAT! DON'T DIG UNDER M- AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhh...............*splat*
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

puppy daub

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I had been doing an alternating staircase pattern between z levels to prevent long falls down staircases from unconscious living things.  Is this no longer a problem?

iEpinephrine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I vaguely recall people saying they could never duplicate the falling down stairs phenomenon.

Why are you all so excited?  You could always designate downwards stairs with LMouse + > ...
It takes like, 10 seconds, to designate your central staircase all the way to the magma sea... ignoring issues with caverns... but this doesn't help that either...
"This button makes your dwarves less retarded"

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I vaguely recall people saying they could never duplicate the falling down stairs phenomenon.

Why are you all so excited?  You could always designate downwards stairs with LMouse + > ...
It takes like, 10 seconds, to designate your central staircase all the way to the magma sea... ignoring issues with caverns... but this doesn't help that either...

It is a good change, but it won't have too much impact in the game at all. People who says it is the better change for the next version are just talking out of their asses.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't particularly like this, myself, as I usually start a designation a z-level above where I actually want to dig, just to make sure the eventual designation is the same size as the floor above, or whatever. :P
But oh well, any update gets me excited! Hurrah!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Ethicalfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have mixed feelings on this. I mean.. Staircases are about the only example I can think of that would benifit from designating multi-z levels. Designating channels multiple z-levels is a recipe for cave-ins gallore. I was even using the inability to designate multiple Z levels as a feature for using other levels as a template for ones above/below.

I'd be much happier to see Toady make constructions be buildable like designations because building a simple wall more than 10 tiles in one direction is a much bigger pain than digging some stairways ever could be. I barely even use stairways anymore and put in ramps where possible to save on FPS lag from pathfinding.
Urist McMiner Unearths a strange pad. He trembles as he inspects it's time saving features. Knowing no 1 dwarf must posess this power, he quietly drops it into the nearest chasm and never speaks of it again.DwarfPad

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, the Z-level designations will become much more important when we get three dimensional veins.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page

Yesssssssssssssssssssssss. My fingers have been waiting for this ever since i built my first 90z stairway. :D
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

ffaerie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

By far this is the best thing after beekeeping back in November!! Go Toady! And may the silly adventurer mode guys just go straight to hell.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com

People who says it is the better change for the next version are just talking out of their asses.
And may the silly adventurer mode guys just go straight to hell.

I'd appreciate some rest and relaxation in the thread to avoid trouble.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't understand why everyone is getting so worked up about this. For some, maybe even most people it is an incredibly useful change, and for everyone else it isn't hurting anything. I believe that it was said in the livestream that implementing 3D designation would take "One line of code", so unless it causes any unforeseen bugs it shouldn't be delaying anything else. I agree that designation style construction would also be a very useful feature, but that shouldn't do anything to detract from the value of 3D designations.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This will come in handy on hilly embarks so you can order all trees to be chopped without having to do it level by level. Same goes for plant gathering I guess.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

Yup, I'll finally stop being discouraged from EVERY FRICKIN' VOLCANO just because no two adjacent tiles are on the same level.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 [2] 3