Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rocket Down! [NEW] - PVP Sidescrolling Action/Shooter!  (Read 1189 times)

Oasiscircle

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle+Cabbage
    • View Profile
Rocket Down! [NEW] - PVP Sidescrolling Action/Shooter!
« on: July 19, 2011, 05:31:05 pm »

Rocket Down is currently in development.
If you don't recognize me (You probably don't.) I'm Oasiscircle, and I made Toy Tanks from earlier on and shared it with the Bay12 community.  Those who tried it enjoyed it, but Toy Tanks was more testing the waters of feasibility for vector-based pixel movement inside a BYOND game.  Now I'm taking it full-scale with Rocket Down!

COMPLETE LIST OF VIDEOS

Despite being a BYOND game (Notorious in other communities for being very limited) I would like this game to be as professional as possible. You don't need BYOND to install the game, you don't need BYOND to play, you don't need BYOND to become a subscriber.  The launcher itself is a standalone EXE file that can be easily used.  The beta release date is aiming to be August 14th, so look out for it!
It currently doesn't have any hub or site at the moment, but I am going to buy a domain for the game before its release.

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to put them here!  I'll be checking this thread often! (:

-Oasiscircle
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 11:51:32 pm by Oasiscircle »

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
Re: Rocket Down! [NEW] - Sidescrolling Action/Shooter!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 05:31:57 pm »

The video is still being processed :)
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

Oasiscircle

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle+Cabbage
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 05:36:30 pm »

Yeah, I -just- finished uploading it!  Sorry about that!  I just wanted to get this topic out as soon as possible. (:
It should be done now.

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 05:36:57 pm »

Looks cool :o

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 05:42:13 pm »

This looks pretty slick for a BYOND game. I like the Interface so far, looking forward to when the world and such is more developed. How would you describe the game in a nutshell, what's its focus? PvP? Flying around adventuring pew-pewing stuff? Where are you planning to take the world gen portion of it?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Oasiscircle

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle+Cabbage
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 05:59:01 pm »

This looks pretty slick for a BYOND game. I like the Interface so far, looking forward to when the world and such is more developed. How would you describe the game in a nutshell, what's its focus? PvP? Flying around adventuring pew-pewing stuff? Where are you planning to take the world gen portion of it?

I'd describe it as a PvP Sidescrolling Shooter.  For the Beta release I plan on only having Deathmatch, but I'll probably add in other game modes.  It's match-based, not an open-exploring game.  Although exploring with these physics would be quite interesting I believe I'll be sticking to matches inside pre-genned maps.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 06:00:32 pm »

About the size you displayed there, or is that a testbed arena? I could see a lot of fun in randomly generated arena terrain, especially with the rocket pack thing going.

As for the merchant, like a buying period between matches where you hit a key to open a screen (Like Killing Floor if you've ever played that) would work well.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 06:01:39 pm »

While making sure the netcode is important, I think making some sort of single player mode would be a good idea.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Oasiscircle

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle+Cabbage
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 06:03:26 pm »

About the size you displayed there, or is that a testbed arena? I could see a lot of fun in randomly generated arena terrain, especially with the rocket pack thing going.

Haha, that is 100% testing arena.  Maps will DEFINITELY be much larger than the area I'm displaying.  (Plus the 4 bottom tiles and 7 edge tiles that need to be filled to get rid of that horrid letterboxing.)  I was thinking of random generation, that could be quite a bit of fun.  I'll look in to it! :)

As for the merchant, like a buying period between matches where you hit a key to open a screen (Like Killing Floor if you've ever played that) would work well.

Yes, I 100% agree with you.  It's exactly what I in-visioned it being. (:

Oasiscircle

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle+Cabbage
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 06:04:38 pm »

Sorry for double-post, your thing just appeared, breadbocks! :P

While making sure the netcode is important, I think making some sort of single player mode would be a good idea.

Yeah, programming bots would be quite interesting though.
It's something to think about at least.  I'll see what I can do after I'm not on a time-line. ;)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 06:12:18 pm »

Any chance we could get some destructibility in there? I would see a lot of fun in blasting holes through terrain to get to your enemy, ala Worms, and it opens up a host of future possibilities (Different terrain types with different properties (indestructibility, being inflammable for those Molotovs, damaging effects, ect.....)

One game that does this and a lot of things mentioned fairly well is Lemmingball Z, it seems to be in the same general spirit as Rocket Down!, so it might be worth checking out if only to get an idea what you shouldn't do.

Oasiscircle

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle+Cabbage
    • View Profile
Re: Rocket Down! [NEW] - PVP Sidescrolling Action/Shooter!
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 06:26:52 pm »

Any chance we could get some destructibility in there? I would see a lot of fun in blasting holes through terrain to get to your enemy, ala Worms, and it opens up a host of future possibilities (Different terrain types with different properties (indestructibility, being inflammable for those Molotovs, damaging effects, ect.....)

Yes yes yes.  Destructibility would be AWESOME.  I am going to do that!

One game that does this and a lot of things mentioned fairly well is Lemmingball Z, it seems to be in the same general spirit as Rocket Down!, so it might be worth checking out if only to get an idea what you shouldn't do.

Alright, I'll check it out.  Thanks for the tip! (:

Denzi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 11:27:42 pm »

Sorry to say I did not intently watch much farther than 3 or 4 minutes in. I apologize but I started to lose attention when you started speaking on what you are planning on doing instead of what you have done. I will admit that what you have done is pretty flipping sweet.

You might have addressed this already, but what about making impacts from weapons effect heat on targets hit as well? The clearest example is hitting someone with a Molotov would raise their heat by a certain degree (more of an effect the less heat the target has? Maybe it works over time instead of in one big burst?) You could also then include freeze grenades of some variety. I know you were mentioning heat having an effect on weapon performance, so it might be an interesting bit of strategy to control the heat of your opponent in order to reduce their effectiveness.

Oasiscircle

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle+Cabbage
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 11:50:49 pm »

@Denzi:  Those are interesting ideas.  I was thinking on having Molotovs and flamethrowers increase opponent's heat..
But that is a pretty cool idea about the freeze grenades.  It could work! (:

Anyway:  Made a new video with shooting in it.  Hope everyone enjoys it. (:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oasiscircle

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle+Cabbage
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 02:34:58 pm »

IMPORTANT UPDATE!
BYOND has upgraded to v489.1099, which includes faster support for pixel offsets.
Get it here: http://www.byond.com/download/

Basically what that means is:  Faster and Smoother Pixel-Movement over networks!
This is GREAT news for Rocket Down as it makes the game more accessible for people with slower internet connections! (: