Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 49

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XXV 4/7, 3/3 - Evening 2 - A Pillar of Light - GAME OVER  (Read 77199 times)

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXV 7/7, 3/3 - D1 - Back to the Killing
« Reply #480 on: August 05, 2011, 07:57:48 pm »

Flandre, don't assume that one must be town and the other scum, or even that either of us is town.
The more time wears on, the more your argument with him convinces me that you two are of opposing alignments. I contradict myself, though, because you both still look like townies to me.
Just to let you know, I have play with the idea that you told Wubs how much you hated him in scumchat after all--but that thought was fleeting.

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthulhu, the scariest Forgotten Beast of all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: August 05, 2011, 08:32:59 pm »

@Flandre I am leaning towards Vector, and since my referencing of other's arguments seems to piss everyone off, I will not post any reason.

@Everyone You guys like bringing up that I use other peoples arguments, but you don't consider that I wasn't there in the rvs where I could start digging at people without reference to their previous answers.

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: August 05, 2011, 08:43:07 pm »

Just finished reading everythng.

@Simple I never said that I was sure Flandre is town, what I said was

I think Flandre is probably town.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: August 05, 2011, 08:44:17 pm »

@Flandre I am leaning towards Vector, and since my referencing of other's arguments seems to piss everyone off, I will not post any reason.

You quoted an entire wall of text I had written and said "this."

Referencing others' arguments without making your own is a problem.  Saying I am scum for no reason is also a problem.  Quoting a wall with no other analysis is a problem.

You want my vote off of you?  Put your vote where your mouth is and come hunt me down.  Right now, you're just convincing me more and more that you're scum.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: August 05, 2011, 09:05:07 pm »

You quoted an entire wall of text I had written and said "this."

Referencing others' arguments without making your own is a problem.  Saying I am scum for no reason is also a problem.  Quoting a wall with no other analysis is a problem.

You want my vote off of you?  Put your vote where your mouth is and come hunt me down.  Right now, you're just convincing me more and more that you're scum.
Vector, he just said that he believes you to be town over Wuba.

These were the questions I asked him:
Urist: Who are your current suspects? Also, between Vector and Webadict, which do you believe to be town, and why?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: August 05, 2011, 09:09:04 pm »

... Okay, then he didn't answer the question of "who are your current suspects," and I still think he's scum.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: August 05, 2011, 09:14:07 pm »

@Flandre My current suspect is bdthemag, but the only things I have against him are his strange reactions to other people's scumhunting questions, and his lurkiness ever since.

@Bdthemag Who do you think the scum are? Why were you so defensive early on in this game? And why did you you disappear afterward?

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: August 05, 2011, 09:32:42 pm »

@Flandre My current suspect is bdthemag, but the only things I have against him are his strange reactions to other people's scumhunting questions, and his lurkiness ever since.

@Bdthemag Who do you think the scum are? Why were you so defensive early on in this game? And why did you you disappear afterward?
I think the purpose of that interrogation you just sent out was more to reinforce your answer than to gather intel on Bd, Urist.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: August 05, 2011, 09:37:22 pm »

Webadict: What in Vector's playstyle, exactly, is giving her away as scum to you? You claim that you would bet an arm that she is scum, while I remained unconvinced. What does scum Vector do that Town Vector does not?
Scum Vector goes from 0 to Hulk in about .3 seconds, regardless of the situation. Town Vector maintains her rage for when people do not give answers that she is okay with.

That would be the main thing. After that, she's manipulating what I'm saying to fit her cause. She was activelurking. She was appealing to authority. She was regular lurking, though she may have just been busy. She was slow to start.

Need I list more? I suppose I could find more.

I admire your attempt to combat lurking with lurking, and your asking of RVS questions despite having LONG AGO left it. I can hardly drown myself in your pool of hard work.

Flandre, don't assume that one must be town and the other scum, or even that either of us is town.
She is right about this, though I realize she forgot to mention the possibility that both of us might be Town (since she's still stuck in the mind frame of scum, you see.)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: August 05, 2011, 09:41:06 pm »

That was supposed to be covered under the first part of that clause.  You know, the "don't assume that one is town and the other scum" thing.  "Don't assume we're different alignments.  Don't even assume we're both town."

Stop bending my words.  I can only think that you're more and more full of bullshit.

I will try to address the rest of your crap later.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: August 05, 2011, 09:49:26 pm »

That was supposed to be covered under the first part of that clause.  You know, the "don't assume that one is town and the other scum" thing.  "Don't assume we're different alignments.  Don't even assume we're both town."

Stop bending my words.  I can only think that you're more and more full of bullshit.

I'm sure you will.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: August 05, 2011, 09:52:34 pm »

As per Jc's request to be replaced, Jc has been replaced with Urist_McArathos
As we now have two players named Urist, to make things clear could you all either refer to them by their full names, or their last names.

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: August 05, 2011, 09:52:43 pm »

@Webadict I never got to have a rvs, I don't know what questions to ask, I have never played this before, so now that I'm trying to question bd, without relying on others posts, and I get criticized.

@Flandre I'm trying to interrogate bd, I'm starting off with those questions, and once I get his answers I will continue to question him.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: August 05, 2011, 10:05:25 pm »

this is my very first mafia game anywhere, ever, but I'm excited.  I've been doing some reading and have read most of this thread already, but I'm posting from my phone at work.  I will list my scumpicks and opening remarks and questions in a few hours when I get home.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: August 05, 2011, 10:21:46 pm »

... Okay, then he didn't answer the question of "who are your current suspects," and I still think he's scum.
Problem: What you said was still completely relevant:

Referencing others' arguments without making your own is a problem.  Saying I am scum town for no reason is also a problem.  Quoting a wall with no other analysis is a problem.
Why did you abandon it to jump to "not answering questions, scum for that instead?"

I'm also curious why exactly you're so enraged at him. I've been meaning to reread your interactions, but if you'd like to present a clearer or simpler version, or just restate it again, please feel free.

@Webadict I never got to have a rvs, I don't know what questions to ask, I have never played this before, so now that I'm trying to question bd, without relying on others posts, and I get criticized.
You're not understanding the problem.

You can use others' posts. You can look at them, read through them, quote them to prove a point, etc. There's nothing saying you can't use other people's posts.

What you cannot do is throw someone else's post up, with no explanation, as an answer or accusation or something. It's like the difference between including quotes in an essay, and grabbing an essay and putting your name on it. Want to quote Sun Tzu in explaining why such-and-such is a good idea? That's fine. Want to hand someone a copy of The Art of War and claim it's your opinion? Not okay. There has to be your clear reasoning in there, or it's not a real answer.

As for questions, you need to ask some that let you get inside Bd's head. And frankly, you should be focusing on more than just Bd- there's room to ask other people stuff too. Your questions, while potentially valid, aren't likely to dig very deep. Asking him for his scumpicks is fine. Asking him a broad question about subjective behavior is less good. Asking him why he's lurking is probably not going to do anything.

Instead, look for specific, concrete things. Instead of saying "who do you suspect," consider looking through his post history to see who he's said he suspects- and if/how much/why those opinions might have changed, or how seldom he mentioned who he suspected, or something like that. Instead of asking "why so defensive," look for specific examples and point them out. Those are concrete, individual things you can look at and ask him about, that might yield interesting insight as opposed to a halfassed list or claims that he's new or something.

I think the purpose of that interrogation you just sent out was more to reinforce your answer than to gather intel on Bd, Urist.
Good call. It's not necessarily true, but it's definitely the kind of distinction you need to watch out for.

this is my very first mafia game anywhere, ever, but I'm excited.  I've been doing some reading and have read most of this thread already, but I'm posting from my phone at work.  I will list my scumpicks and opening remarks and questions in a few hours when I get home.
Good, good. We look forward to it.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 49