Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 49

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XXV 4/7, 3/3 - Evening 2 - A Pillar of Light - GAME OVER  (Read 77061 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXV 7/7, 3/3 - D1 - Back to the Killing
« Reply #330 on: August 01, 2011, 07:55:48 pm »

@FlandreWhy are you so defensive of jc?
He just happens to be the one people are  most suspicious of; where that person is, the scum will be also. In siding with the prospective lynch victim, I can attack his accusers in the hopes of gathering valuable intel.
This should be more productive than asking sterile questions, anyway.
This is a good attitude. It's possibly to do it poorly or take it too far, obviously, but looking at bandwagons, even supposedly justified ones, can be very helpful in reading others' intentions.

on a completely unrelated note, i am starting to really dislike the way bay12 plays mafia. it is probably objectively more effective than the ways i do like but urrgh so stressful. >.<
It's definitely a somewhat intense way to do it, but you'll get used to the stress, similar to how one gets used to the stress of playing scum vs playing town.

I think it would make sense for the scum to attack the townie who has attracted the most suspicion, to ensure that one of his own would not be lynched that night. You are right that this tactic would not work if the suspect were scum, but I do not think my reasoning was silly.
Not true. Even if they're scum, there's the chance to catch their partner(s) refusing or deciding to jump onto their partner's bandwagon. It's also useful just for getting more data on how various people think and act, and could potentially serve as a control example for later.

Flandre, you're not doing anything. You were doing stuff, but near as I can tell you've had all your questions answered. Time to resume hunting, yes?

NINJA'D: Good start.

JC, time to hunt. You've had isolated questions out to people, but you don't seem to be making a real effort to figure anyone out. Ask yourself this: Do you have any concrete suspects? If so, you should either question them further or call them out as scum and explain why. If not, that's a clear sign that you need to scumhunt better, isn't it?

Remember, the point of questions and analysis is to get a read on how someone's thinking. You seem to have the motions of scumhunting down, but appear to not know what to do once your question's been answered.

billybob, your only question is to Bdthemag, who you know isn't here right now. While it's perfectly reasonable to still want an answer from him, maybe you should do something in the meantime also?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 01, 2011, 10:02:44 pm »

There's also you. Voting me and giving a little speech about how I've been dumping IC responsibilities on you, after wuba votes you, seems a bit deflectiony.

I got worn out, but that's my responsibility, not yours.  Still wish you'd shown up in a bit more force for the early game, but eh, whatever.  We've got a good crop of newbies now.

Also, I voted you because I really wanted to make sure of my read on you before proceeding.  I still feel that my greatest mistake last game was to play through without ever checking Jim for scumtells or even really thinking about him in seriousness.

I'll still be watching you, but for now Unvote.  You sound nothing like the scum self I'm familiar with.

Sorry folks, been busy. I'll re-read the thread and try to post tonight or tommorow.

I really want to see this happening soon, because I'm not feeling good about you at all.

Not on charges of lurking, either.

Unvote Billybob, Vote JC Honestly that question is extremely stupid, and you keep clarifying yourself to explain to us its not in fact stupid. But anyways, if I was scum I wouldn't do that because that is scummy.

But you keep on acting scummy, then later try to explain yourself. So yeah, your probally scum.

This is a third vote on a bandwagon with some of the weakest voting reasons I have ever seen.  I don't like it.

Vector I voted JC because he would constantly go "Blah blah blah, your right.", and agree with everyone. To me it seemed like he was trying to not get anyone suspicious, so he just agree's with him.

Inconsistent reasoning.

Well, you can answer them now, then. Next time i just put them apart from commentary.

Also here, was just waiting for Vector to post :/

This... this makes so much sense?

Stop ignoring people's questions.  If you don't have time to answer them, then say so.  But don't goof around and say "Oh, I was waiting on the lurker!  That is why I haven't posted.  Questions?  What questions!"

There, happy?

And then go on to pull this bullshit.

This little throwaway makes me think that you have no interest whatsoever in actually scumhunting.

You're dead, tonight or tomorrow.  If you want to live, start digging your way out of that.

Having a cleared IC would likely prevent timewasters such as jc6036 questioning standard Mafia scumhunting strategy.

It's a waste of time to question strategy, hm?

Easy to denigrate other players as timewasters, as well.

I answered that question. Admittedly, my answer was "I'm not sure, definitely one of those", but it was an answer.

[...]

on a completely unrelated note, i am starting to really dislike the way bay12 plays mafia. it is probably objectively more effective than the ways i do like but urrgh so stressful. >.<

a. You need to know whether you're lynching or pressuring.  Right now, it looks like that vote of yours is there just to be there.

Hmm.  Not so good.  That just means you're voting to be voting, BillyBobFred.

b. Just relax.  It gets a lot better.

On the other hand, if you're that stressed it makes me think you're scum.  On the other other hand, I already thought you were scum, so no problemo.

My suspicions are BDthemag, Billybobfred, and Flandre.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 01, 2011, 10:22:50 pm »

Billybob: Well I thought that was what you were asking about.

IronyOwl

Wuba: Seems to be playing his average aggresive kind of game, which from the games i've read with him as town (Which is a few, honestly.) im getting a semi-town read on him.

Jc6036: He quickly took his vote off of me, and saying he was satisfied with my answer. Normally this would be fine, but there was no further questioning after that. Im thinking he's scum right now,
or really confused town. Another reason im getting a scum read off him is because he instantly agree's with Wuba on Vector, just because well he's Wuba.

Vector: I dunno, I can't really get a read off of Vector. I assume so far that she is town though.

Billybob: Since he actually questions what im doing, and pushing further questions and not just backing away. Im getting a town read off of him.

Flandre: Nothing yet.

Simple: Seems to be aggresive, which doesn't neccesarley mean he's scum. Im not sure about him though.

You: I never assume the IC is scum until D2 or D3, since a common mistake is lynching the IC early. So im assuming your town so far.

Urist Mcinternetuser: Im getting a scum read on him, voting Jc because he jumped on him for little reason. This may have been buddying, but im not totally sure yet.

Jc: What should I think of Billybob's vote? I mean he's voting for me since he thinks im acting scummy, so I think thats a valid reason to vote. My reason on voting you
is because your acting scummy, duh. Why are you so intent on finding out why people are voting you?

Urist Mcinternetuser: Good question.

Excuse me if I missed any questions, im tired as hell currently.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 01, 2011, 10:33:51 pm »

@bdthemag: Honestly, if you cant define how a person is "acting scummy" then a lynching vote is too much. Unless youre scum, of course. And if you didnt notice, I did ask you some more questions after I took my vote off. I will probably take my vote off of Simple soon, since Im getting a read on him. You are third or second on my suspect list, so my vote may move back to you. I think that my read on you may have been false.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 01, 2011, 10:44:08 pm »

My suspicions are BDthemag, Billybobfred, and Flandre.
Interesting...

Why's that?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 01, 2011, 11:46:19 pm »

Because Twiggie set off my pingers like the dickens in the early game, and Flandre is slick with few posts.  Flandre hasn't done anything in particular; he or she is just sitting in my blind spot, which means that I don't have a read, which means that they're suspected.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthulhu, the scariest Forgotten Beast of all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 02, 2011, 12:03:24 am »

@BdtheMag I seem to have more reasons for my distrust of jc than you.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 02, 2011, 12:06:27 am »

Billybob: Well I thought that was what you were asking about.
That's nice to know, but it still doesn't answer the question.

I'm going to spell it out once more.

I asked these questions:
scriver: If you're a cop and (somehow) know the mafia have exactly one power role, would you rather it be godfather or roleblocker?
Twiggie: If you're a roleblocker and (somehow) know the town have exactly one power role, would you rather it be doctor or cop?
Simple: You're a cop. Three people left. An innocent read on both. Therefore, one of them has to be a godfather. One is attacking the other, the other is attacking you. What do?

Your response was:
Those questions are extremely WIFOMy

As such, I wish to know: What about the questions did you see as WIFOMy?

a. You need to know whether you're lynching or pressuring.  Right now, it looks like that vote of yours is there just to be there.

Hmm.  Not so good.  That just means you're voting to be voting, BillyBobFred.

If it helps, it started as a pressure vote. Bd just hasn't answered my one single question for five pages, and I'm not sure when I'm supposed to just call it a lynch vote and be done with it.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 02, 2011, 12:09:54 am »

The question is whether you think he's scum or not.

So, is he or isn't he?

How much more scummy do you think he is than everyone else?

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 02, 2011, 12:11:45 am »

@bdthemag: Honestly, if you cant define how a person is "acting scummy" then a lynching vote is too much. Unless youre scum, of course. And if you didnt notice, I did ask you some more questions after I took my vote off. I will probably take my vote off of Simple soon, since Im getting a read on him. You are third or second on my suspect list, so my vote may move back to you. I think that my read on you may have been false.

jc you seem, to be moving your votes around a lot. Also, you say to Bd that you "may move your vote back to him", and then you say "I think my read on you may have been false".

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 02, 2011, 12:16:20 am »

He had a town read on him.  Now he has a scum read on him.

I'd like to know why you're chainsawing BDthemag.

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 02, 2011, 12:50:16 am »

He had a town read on him.  Now he has a scum read on him.

I'd like to know why you're chainsawing BDthemag.

Is this aimed at me? If so, chainsawing?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 02, 2011, 12:57:12 am »

The crier is knocked over by the pot, and the scroll he was reading the announcements from falls from he's hand. The woman strides over to him, and in her victory takes the scroll and begins to read from it.

Votecount

Bdthemag[2]: billybobfred, Simple
jc6036[2]:  Bdthemag, Urist Mcinternetuser
billybobfred[2]: IronyOwl, Vector
webadict[1]: Flandre
Simple[1]: jc6036
Vector[1]: webadict

The day will end Tuesday, 5:00 PM PST. You need 3 people to Extend and 5 to Shorten.

The crier sighs as he lays on he's back in defeat.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 02, 2011, 01:07:24 am »

Is this aimed at me? If so, chainsawing?

You're defending him despite an overwhelming amount of evidence and voting his attacker for something as weak as votechanging the first day of a first game.

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: August 02, 2011, 01:14:35 am »

[quote author=Vector link=topic=89220.msg2496427#msg2496427 date=1312265244

You're defending him despite an overwhelming amount of evidence and voting his attacker for something as weak as votechanging the first day of a first game.
[/quote]

How exactly am I defending Bd? I was simply pointing out that jc has been changing his views around a lot.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 49