Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 49

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XXV 4/7, 3/3 - Evening 2 - A Pillar of Light - GAME OVER  (Read 76951 times)

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXV 5/7, 3/3 - D2 - Wuba Dub Dead
« Reply #645 on: August 14, 2011, 03:46:43 pm »

Bd, im pretty sure that you would cause less damage by asking questions and at least trying to play than allowing your self to be lynched. Oh, and my curiosity got the best of me, vector, what does kibitzing mean any ways?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: August 14, 2011, 03:59:06 pm »

Giving advice on someone else's activities.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: August 14, 2011, 04:01:10 pm »

Ok, if you think I'm causing any harm, please step in and say so.

Simple

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: August 14, 2011, 06:06:17 pm »

Sooo, you have no case on vector. Basically you just want everyone to vote her based only on the chance that webadict could be right. And you don't even want people to vote her but just 'look'. Not scummy at all. If that's not that, what's your case on her ?
... Did you read my post at all, or are you just seeing what you want to see?

Vector has done hardly any actual scumhunting the whole game. No, that's not a case by itself, which is why I am questioning her instead of calling for torches and pitchforks. Voting for her based just on the off chance that webadict was right would be stupid.
I don't see much questioning from your side.But i agree that we're yet to see some real scumhunting from her.

-snip-
Well maybe i put too much weight to that. Alright, Unvote for now.

-snip-
Hmm, i don't like the sound of the whole ignore thing but you're right that we still have some time and even if you're scum this would give you no benefit.I'm alright with this plan since i really look forward to your offensive and if you were only to defend from webadcit case(?) variations it would be pretty much lost time for town.So you get your second chance ( or something like that) from me at least.

-snip-
Simple: Where are you from? You do not need to answer if you want to keep that to yourself, but my curiosity finally got the better of me.
Me? Poland ,Poznań to be precise.

Simple If you want to lynch me for lurking, go ahead. If you feel I haven't been helping town then you can lynch me, honestly what else did you expect me to say about that? And my top three scum list is, Billybob, You, and Urist.
The problem is i do NOT want to lynch you. But your post are so scarce and scumhunting free that i would feel horrible if you were scum that did completely nothing and go away with it. Don't give up, respond and help the town!

Bdthemag, that is one of the shittiest responses I have ever seen. (I have seen worse, but all two of them boil down to "implausible fakeclaim, then stop defending yourself".)

I pretty much can't imagine how you could screw over town by mistake, except by being so scummy you get yourself lynched before the actual scum. (Which, if you're town, you are kind of doing right now!)

Well, I can imagine one scenario. If you're a power role (and I'm going to request that you NOT comment on this possibility in any way), you might accidentally reveal yourself and get nightkilled, thus depriving the town of your ability. But you know what? You can't be a very good power role if you have no idea what's going on, and I've learned from this very game that it's a lot easier to tell what's going on if you're actively participating.

In the significantly more likely scenario that you're not a power role, you can help town out by looking so dangerous to the scum that they nightkill you instead of the actual power roles. But you're not threatening if you're not participating!

tl;dr: Get participating or get lynched.
Alright you done it. First:in comparison to the rest of your attacks this one seems pretty aggressive. Why ? You belive he's town (really stating your doubts three times after you voted?) and you say only way he could harm the town is to be lynched based on his scumminess. Then you vote him anyway ? If that was meant as pressure you basically made it useless. And if this is real lynching vote i fail to see why you would do that.  And you throw up deliberate rolefishing into that ? Well i hope it was worth it Billybobfred.

Bdthemag:I forgot to ask : Why these suspects ?

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: August 14, 2011, 06:39:56 pm »

Alright you done it. First:in comparison to the rest of your attacks this one seems pretty aggressive. Why ? You belive he's town (really stating your doubts three times after you voted?) and you say only way he could harm the town is to be lynched based on his scumminess. Then you vote him anyway ? If that was meant as pressure you basically made it useless. And if this is real lynching vote i fail to see why you would do that.  And you throw up deliberate rolefishing into that ? Well i hope it was worth it Billybobfred.

My attack is aggressive because bd just did something to catch my attention, and not in a good way.

I never once said I believed he was town. I told him that not-posting is not a good way to avoid accidentally screwing over town and explained why. (I'm still pretty sure he's trying to deliberately screw over town by not-posting, but hey.)

And yeah, "do not comment on your role or lack thereof in any way" and "you should participate more whether you are a power role or not" are DEFINITELY rolefishing statements. Completely. (hint: that is not true in any way)
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: August 14, 2011, 09:13:32 pm »

Flandre Generally I don't want to screw over the town by doing something stupid that would unintentionally help the scum. I may worry about that too much though :/

No, no, no.  THIS is total bullshit, Bd.  It's exactly the same kind of crap that got UristMcinternetuser lynched.  It's passive, weak, and does NOTHING to defend you or expose someone else.  You don't want to screw over town by doing something stupid that would help scum?  It's called mislynch, and if you're town you're doing a piss-poor job of helping prevent it.  Giving a half-hearted shrug in response to accusations of scumminess is NOT how you help town, and it IS how you get yourself hanged.  Ask your buddy Urist how it turned out for him.  You're not overly worried about it, you're not worried AT ALL.  I've accused you of not giving a damn about how this game goes because you're scum, just coasting along.  You seriously are not going to even try and dispel that, but rather dive headfirst into confirming it with this crappy reply?  NO.

Simple If you want to lynch me for lurking, go ahead. If you feel I haven't been helping town then you can lynch me, honestly what else did you expect me to say about that?

How about, as I said before, why you shouldn't be lynched because you're town?  I may not be Simple, but I would expect you to answer some questions and START helping town.  I expected some sort of defense, some sort of rationale that you're not scum.  You're not giving anything to prove it, and if you're NOT scum, all you're doing with this crap is giving them a nice, easy target to hide behind while we all lynch you.  Either grow a pair and defend yourself or accept that you've lost, scumface.

And my top three scum list is, Billybob, You, and Urist.

Really?  That's friggin' interesting.  Billybob, Simple, and I...we're your TOP suspects, eh?

Flandre Why exactely do you want to assume Vector is town just because you suspect that she wouldn't do something?

Then why are you voting for Flandre?  Why did you have no answer when I asked you to justify your hasty vote?  Why did you not unvote Flandre and vote for one of your "real" suspects?  Could it be because you have no real suspects, no case, and are scrambling to look town and throw suspicion onto someone else?  Because if Billybob was MY number one vote, I'd be voting for HIM, understand?  You're my number one pick, and, let's see...

hmm...

Yep, I'm voting for YOU.  That's how it works: you find suspects, decide who you think is scum, then vote for them.  You don't declare someone scum, vote for them without a reason, then give someone else an entirely different list of suspects when asked for an explanation.  Actually, you can do all of that if you're scum, because then it at least makes sense.

I'd vote for you twice if I could; I'll have to settle for watching you hang in just under 24 hours and having the smug satisfaction of knowing I caught you first, scumbag.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: August 14, 2011, 09:15:52 pm »

I'm vaguely worried about the interactions between the other Urist and BDthemag.

On the other hand, I've been voting/accusing BD off and on for a reasonable part of this game, so removing him will probably really clear the air.

Anyway, rereading and stuffs.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: August 14, 2011, 10:23:46 pm »

I just now tripped over this as I skimmed through the thread.

Wait the day ends today? Are we going to extend this or just end the day?

Considering your unpopularity at the time, Bd, you sound more distraught here than any townie should have under similar circumstances. You are not even requesting for an extension, so what purpose does this serve? None. I see a raw reaction put into words, and the most obvious, unintentional truths are those that are said before one thinks.

Simple

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: August 15, 2011, 12:50:56 pm »

My attack is aggressive because bd just did something to catch my attention, and not in a good way.

I never once said I believed he was town. I told him that not-posting is not a good way to avoid accidentally screwing over town and explained why. (I'm still pretty sure he's trying to deliberately screw over town by not-posting, but hey.)

And yeah, "do not comment on your role or lack thereof in any way" and "you should participate more whether you are a power role or not" are DEFINITELY rolefishing statements. Completely. (hint: that is not true in any way)
What exactly was that thing ? Maybe you never said directly but you keep mentioning that you're not sure and using the "actual scum" phrase in the attack on him isn't really helping. As for the last thing how saying : "If you were power role you would be better player, and i don't really believe you could even be one! So don't try to convince me that you are." is not trying to get him to disclose his role? If you wouldn't put that to any use, why the hell you even said that ?

ExtendJust in case i won't be here before day ends. I still want to hear Vector and Bdthemag suspects and reasoning.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: August 15, 2011, 02:56:17 pm »

Been putting this off way too long.

Today, everyone ignores me and whatever scumminess you think I might possess based on Webadict's "work," and we look for scum in all quarters but mine.  Calling me out on things I have done is fine--scummy quotations, whatever.  Waffling over whether or not you think you believe Webadict and whether I'm passive oh my god is not fine.
This seems to contradict itself- some parts imply you're just saying "ignore webadict, do it yourself," others seem to say "ignore me, hunt others."

Tomorrow, if conditions

a. We have not won the game
b. People are still strongly suspicious of me (I have been unable to be active and really direct due to finishing off an intensive German class.  Apparently, my inactivity due to my class is the chief reason why people suspect me.  I couldn't do much about it, so hopefully today will reverse some opinions).  If I'm not widely considered town, consider b. true.

hold, I will vote myself and ask to be lynched.
This seems similarly shifty. You have a condition of "People are still strongly suspicious of me," which you brush off as a lack of activity and then clarify to mean "If I'm not widely considered town." Why not just say "b. I'm not widely considered town" in the first place?

I also don't like this shift from earlier, when you were incredulous that webadict could be town, confident that you could get him lynched, and relieved that such a scummy player had saved everyone the trouble. Also, thinking through strategy in between.

Flandre:
IronyOwl: From those of us remaining, what is the order that you suspect us, and what is your reasoning?
I just now noticed that I missed this... and that you never mentioned it again. Didn't you care? You've asked Bd about his questions repeatedly.

Bdthemag:
Flandre Generally I don't want to screw over the town by doing something stupid that would unintentionally help the scum. I may worry about that too much though :/
If it stops you from posting or being useful, then yes. Do you really think you could do worse than now?

Simple If you want to lynch me for lurking, go ahead. If you feel I haven't been helping town then you can lynch me, honestly what else did you expect me to say about that? And my top three scum list is, Billybob, You, and Urist.
This is miserably passive and scummy. It's RIA or someone who doesn't understand that wasting a lynch on townies helps scum. If you're so goddamned nervous about saying or doing anything that might help scum, why are you handing them a free lynch?

Plus, you're not explaining, or doing anything about, your scumpicks. You suspect half the game, but can't be assed to tell the rest of us why or whittle that list down a bit?

(Also note that I am at least the third person to give this advice. In a beginner's game. Even the newbies know this is horribly badwrongno.)

JC:
Ok, if you think I'm causing any harm, please step in and say so.
Personally, I think it's been pretty sage advice. I'm kind of surprised you didn't do better when you were playing. :P

Simple:
-snip-
Well maybe i put too much weight to that. Alright, Unvote for now.
Now, are you unvoting because you agree that it's probably nothing, or because the IC said so?

Urist:
And my top three scum list is, Billybob, You, and Urist.

Really?  That's friggin' interesting.  Billybob, Simple, and I...we're your TOP suspects, eh?

Flandre Why exactely do you want to assume Vector is town just because you suspect that she wouldn't do something?

Then why are you voting for Flandre?  Why did you have no answer when I asked you to justify your hasty vote?  Why did you not unvote Flandre and vote for one of your "real" suspects?  Could it be because you have no real suspects, no case, and are scrambling to look town and throw suspicion onto someone else?  Because if Billybob was MY number one vote, I'd be voting for HIM, understand?  You're my number one pick, and, let's see...

hmm...

Yep, I'm voting for YOU.  That's how it works: you find suspects, decide who you think is scum, then vote for them.  You don't declare someone scum, vote for them without a reason, then give someone else an entirely different list of suspects when asked for an explanation.  Actually, you can do all of that if you're scum, because then it at least makes sense.

I'd vote for you twice if I could; I'll have to settle for watching you hang in just under 24 hours and having the smug satisfaction of knowing I caught you first, scumbag.
Well done. I hadn't noticed that juicy detail.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: August 15, 2011, 03:29:53 pm »

What exactly was that thing ? Maybe you never said directly but you keep mentioning that you're not sure and using the "actual scum" phrase in the attack on him isn't really helping. As for the last thing how saying : "If you were power role you would be better player, and i don't really believe you could even be one! So don't try to convince me that you are." is not trying to get him to disclose his role? If you wouldn't put that to any use, why the hell you even said that ?
Okay, at this point I literally do not understand what you are saying.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: August 15, 2011, 03:36:59 pm »

From what I gathered, you were saying, hypothetically, that the only way he could make things WORSE for town than they are now is if he was a power role and got himself NKed.  You then made it clear that you did NOT want him to comment on it, because it was a hypothetical scenario and not a rolefish.  In other words, he already IS hurting town as much as he possibly can, so he needs to start doing SOMETHING, because literally any course of action will be better.

Simple's first question, to me, appears to be "What did BD just do to catch your attention, and not in a good way?"

His second one seems to be saying that your statement:

Well, I can imagine one scenario. If you're a power role (and I'm going to request that you NOT comment on this possibility in any way), you might accidentally reveal yourself and get nightkilled, thus depriving the town of your ability. But you know what? You can't be a very good power role if you have no idea what's going on, and I've learned from this very game that it's a lot easier to tell what's going on if you're actively participating.

Is a roundabout rolefish in his eyes.  He thinks you dismissing the possibility that he's a power role is designed purely to get him to claim a role; if it isn't why did you state that he can't be very good at playing a power role?

At least, that's what I've managed to get from all this.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: August 15, 2011, 03:37:27 pm »

This is a first time I've ever put through a gambit, so I spent a lot of time thinking it through (and then misworded it anyway).

You're right.  What I want is for everyone to ignore what Web had to say for one day, and if we haven't lynched scum at the end of it and I'm widely on people's "heavy doubt" lists, I want to be lynched.

I STILL think Webadict was ridiculous and talking out his ass, but there seems to have been a shift of suspicion in that opinion.  My thoughts do not inform the thoughts and opinions of the rest of the town.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: August 15, 2011, 03:45:40 pm »

This is a first time I've ever put through a gambit, so I spent a lot of time thinking it through (and then misworded it anyway).

You're right.  What I want is for everyone to ignore what Web had to say for one day, and if we haven't lynched scum at the end of it and I'm widely on people's "heavy doubt" lists, I want to be lynched.

I STILL think Webadict was ridiculous and talking out his ass, but there seems to have been a shift of suspicion in that opinion.  My thoughts do not inform the thoughts and opinions of the rest of the town.
So... it's not really a gamble, so much as "Ignore everything webadict said for a day."
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: August 15, 2011, 03:53:10 pm »

*shrug*

I'm gambling that we'll be able to find the last scum before I end up being lynched.  It's a gamble.

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 49