Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Space Station 13  (Read 3112 times)

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Space Station 13
« on: July 19, 2011, 02:38:20 am »

I came across the game recently and was thinking about giving it a try. But I haven't wadded through their wiki or watched 12thousand lets plays (sounds weird coming from a DF player) yet. So I've yet to discern the objective of the game. Could some one sum it up for me?
I don't want to have to read a mountain of wiki pages to see if I even want to play.

Also to any SP13 players out there, I intend to read up more before playing. Don't worry. I'm just looking for a good summary.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 02:44:57 am by Zaphod »
I only play legends mode

I also play on the longest history setting for hard mode.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 02:42:40 am »

You are aware that there is a similar thread about half a dozen lines down from this thread in this board, yes :P?

In any case, I would suggest that you try a few games first on your own before reading in depth and preparing. The nature of the game itself provides fun opportunities even for someone that doesn't know what to do or what is going on. The help you get in game might be either genuinely helpful, or deliberately manipulative.

That being said, pick a reputable server.

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 02:45:29 am »

But what is the actual point of the game. What are you trying to do?
I only play legends mode

lurtze1

• Bay Watcher
  • Worshipper of the god of total chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 03:09:07 am »

Well... That depends on what job you get at the begining of the round. If you're the traitor then you will probably need to steal something or nuke something, as syndicate you have to nuke the whole station. But if you are just a lone barkeep then well, be a barkeep, make drinks, hit the monkey <- Optional and do whatever a barkeep does.
Oh and don't grief and blow up the station :/

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 03:46:46 am »

It's one big werewolf game. Or in other words, you have a bunch of people in a room, one or two of them is a traitor, and the rest must find out who the traitor(s) is. If the station blows up or the traitors kill everyone, then they win, if they are killed, then the rest win.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 03:48:06 am »

You're a new recruit to a space station owned and operated by a horrible corporation plagued by space wizards, nuclear-armed syndicate terrorists, ravenous xenomorphs and other such problems. You start with a job which you probably don't know how to do, and attempt to do it while dealing with a variety of problems.
If you're on baystation those problems probably include nothing, because you probably won't be at all involved in the action.
If you're on goonstation those problems probably include clowns defecating on the floor and then rubbing it all over you, chemists burning your face off, or mimes being a general annoyance.
If you're on /tg/station those problems probably include being stuck in cult rounds where cultists fail to actually induct anyone into their cult and summon an elder god to destroy the station, chemists burning your face off, and someone playing the piano in the most horrible way imaginable, able to be heard across the station.

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 11:16:21 am »

So it's like DF if you were controlling a single dwarf in multipalyer. And instead of a mine you're in space, right?
I only play legends mode

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 12:56:46 pm »

So it's like DF if you were controlling a single dwarf in multipalyer. And instead of a mine you're in space, right?
Exactly. It's a very fun game, just don't take it too seriously and remember that the game is round-based so nothing really matters. Try out all the major servers to find out which one you fit in with best.

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 02:22:41 pm »

So far I've managed to fling my self into the vacuum due to lag. Where I either froze to death or suffocated. I'm not sure.
I only play legends mode

mcdonaldjord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 03:06:55 pm »

Good job! Thats half the game right there, Well.. usually its other people that space you.

Urist McBusDriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 08:23:31 pm »

So far I've managed to fling my self into the vacuum due to lag. Where I either froze to death or suffocated. I'm not sure.
That is exactly what I did the first time I ever played.

Me: Hey, an airlock. Can I open it?
Me: The inner door opens! Is there an interlock to prevent the outer door opening at the same time?
Game: No.
Air: Whoosh.
Me: Gasps (but if I had a mask and airtank would have said "I can't get back inside!!")

Of course, now I know that if you're accidentally in space, you can throw stuff to move yourself in the opposite direction. Take off your shoes or something, throw them in the direction you're going in, and you'll reverse direction and go back through the door again.

Mostly what I've been doing is finding AFK players, stuffing them into bins when no-one's looking, and flushing them to the disposal room. Having turned on the belt and grinder and opened the doors to space. And welded shut the access doors.

And the players who think it's funny to poop all over the station. I think it's funnier to hit them in the head with an oxygen tank and flush them to the grinder...

Funniest moment so far was when I heard a radio message from an astronaut, someone who'd got access to a spacesuit and jetpack and gone off exploring. He was asking why there was a guy welded into a locker with a bottle of rum, drifting endlessly across space somewhere. Thirty minutes before, I had passed that same guy in a corridor. As I passed him, someone else ran past in the opposite direction, and I was attacked in the eye with a pen. I thought it was the first guy, so I pushed him into a nearby open locker, welded it shut, dragged it to the disposal room launched it into space.

Two minutes later, was standing in the corridor when the same running guy ran past and stabbed me again. I'd got the wrong guy! I never managed to catch the real attacker and send him to retrieve the first guy...

I have to suppress the impulse to write 'say' in front of every statement now.
Of course, since he doesn't actually walk around counting things, we can only assume that bookkeeping time is spent in deep meditation, psychically sensing exactly how many piles of orthoclase there are. It takes a while to hone a skill like that.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 09:15:04 pm »

Do be careful that you follow the rules. The admins are... zealous when it comes to enforcing them, and the role play rules are 'strict'.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 09:34:45 pm »

Yeah, we already have this thread dude.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.