Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Did this really happen?  (Read 4069 times)

Entih

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Did this really happen?
« on: July 18, 2011, 11:30:11 pm »

I would like to use my first post to question... has the following ever happened to anyone?

I was working through adventure mode, just goofing around a tad as per usual in a world I had generated for no other purpose.  Long story short, I did quests, got followers, killed things.  I was going to try to get a quest from a local lord/lady/lawgiver, when in the fortress I saw something interesting.  There was a prisoner next to the lord, something unique from the 20 previous forts.

I spoke with the prisoner, and jokingly asked if he would care to join me.  And he did, very much so, want to join.  "Please take me away from this place."  That is when I noticed that this prisoner was not human.  Nor dwarf, elf, goblin, kobold, or standard animal person.  I also noticed the title he bore, then.

He was humanoid with form of a goat.  I don't recall the precise description, but it likely said something along the lines of being cruelly twisted into humanoid form.  Furthermore, his title was 'The Monster of Gray Chalcedony', leading me to believe he might have been some kind of stone or gem creature, but nothing verified or denied this, as the description was vague.  It was also nigh immortal.  We traveled further, and no less than three times did The Monster brain bandits and animals with a small knife in one shot while taking no noticeable damage.  I would still have this adventure to tell more, however an epic opponent mortally bruised my lungs.  The Monster finished the thing off (of course), and as I suffocated I said my goodbyes.

Now I have tooled around in adventure mode quite a bit on and off, and never had a creature like The Monster there show up, particularly not one I could recruit.  Is that normal at all?  Did I hallucinate?

Edit: Ah yes... if memory serves, it had some form of venom or poison, too.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 11:34:14 pm by Entih »

Carcanken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Did this really happen?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 12:31:29 am »

Thats wierd, I have no idea at all, im only posting to see what it really is when people answer. ^.^

Entih

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 01:09:03 am »

From the looks of things, I managed to snag one of the procedurally generated beasts as a companion somehow.  This puts me in good running for 'strangest adventure companion ever'.

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 01:22:32 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They sometimes get locked up and you can recruit them. My very first companion was a guinea pig demon who was locked up by the civ he was law giver of. Presumeably because they all starved.

They're epic in combat, I remember most of his kills were scratching people in the head and their heads flying off. It's hard to imagine what he looks like from the ASCII but rather than a man he's probably a 100 foot tall Satan like creature.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 01:39:19 am »

watch out for syndromes.  these "clowns" sometimes have them, and it'd really suck that your everything rots away because of your hellspawn companion.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Entih

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 01:48:07 am »

That doesn't sound like it would suck.  I mean really, becoming a zombie and slowly dying while killing things next to an unearthly being would be awesome!  Head to the nearest elf tree fort (that's what they live in, right?  Ah, doesn't matter.) and spread the infectious love!

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 01:54:35 am »

That doesn't sound like it would suck.  I mean really, becoming a zombie and slowly dying while killing things next to an unearthly being would be awesome!  Head to the nearest elf tree fort (that's what they live in, right?  Ah, doesn't matter.) and spread the infectious love!

in my limited experience with syndromes, your life is measured in steps since infection.  in fortress mode, i count it extremely lucky is my dwarves die in 200 steps.  other folks have reported as few as 12.

now, if you somehow contaminate your weapon (wearing gloves!) and never, EVER get wet, you might be able to spread some love, but that's a tall order.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 01:59:50 am »

The "twisted into human form" means that it is one of the "ringmaster" clown variants which are more powerful than the ones encountered in fort mode. He literally is Grand Master or Legendary in many combat skills (the others being merely Accomplished).

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 02:03:51 am »

The "twisted into human form" means that it is one of the "ringmaster" clown variants which are more powerful than the ones encountered in fort mode. He literally is Grand Master or Legendary in many combat skills (the others being merely Accomplished).
hrm, i was not aware of this.  puts a whole new light on the leader of my neighbouring human civ.looks like i'm going to have to train my next adventurer up quite a bit to take him on (if he does not come to my fort and meet his doom/vanish forever off the map edge)

Entih

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 02:10:07 am »

Well that does certainly explain his tendency to slam a tiny little baby knife directly into the brain of anything that got in his way.  Good to know.  Need to find a number of these guys and get a disease ridden army of evil going.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 05:22:41 am »

hrm, i was not aware of this.  puts a whole new light on the leader of my neighbouring human civ.looks like i'm going to have to train my next adventurer up quite a bit to take him on (if he does not come to my fort and meet his doom/vanish forever off the map edge)

These demon leaders are actually quite common in the human forts I find in adventure mode.  I just, right now, had this superhumanly strong hammerman with Talented hammer skill, proficient shield skill, etc.  I managed to take on the swordsmen, macemen and crossbowmen in a fortress with ease.  The true test was against some sort of humanoid feathered camel demon.  I was actually faster than the thing, but its skill with a knife was tremendous.  I tried fighting smart, but one lucky hit from that creature took my foot off.  Be careful around those things. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 05:44:31 am »

If I remember, those are really lucky random generations. You even got the deadly ones!

Those are clowns, if you see them shaped like a "&" then you know you are either facing one of the most powerful creatures on or below the world as a friend...or as a foe.

P.S. Please refer to them as clowns, they are part of the Hidden Fun Stuff and must not be named as it would be spoilarific to new players. It is up to them to find out but it looks like you just met one as an ally!

If I may verify, If it has the "twisted into human form" in the description, then you really have a big one on your hands. A clown managed to make itself look more humanlike by wiping off the facepaint and smile, now it becomes a leader in the human civilization because of their vast intelligence.

Also, it is very deadly if fought. They usually have special attacks (like a joy-buzzer that kills by knocking creatures far away into walls/trees or the flower-that-squirts-liquid, it kills you slowly but surely....)

Mostly, they will not join you in normal unmodded games, if you got one in your party then you are nearly neigh invulnerable! (Well, your party is, you aren't)

Videonfan

• Bay Watcher
  • Now you know why you should fear the night
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 03:24:54 pm »

Once a clown had turned in genesis as a tree humanoid thingy and was the leader of sulvan elves :O(he took over in 55 faking the humans into believing he was a creation of goddess)
You just can't trust allies

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 05:34:02 pm »

I've had them, once or twice!
But the most awesome instance would have had to be the
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I discovered chained up in one guy's fort... It was slow-roasting everyone around it, and so of course I recruited it and off we went!
After savescumming a few times to avoid getting my companions (and myself) burnt horribly to death- This meant taking a tedious zig-sag pattern as I walked- I attacked some bandits.
Now, this thing literally WAS invincible, as far as I could see, as weapons simply passed through him, as the fire burnt everyone around to death.
Eventually my adventuring posse all died, (from 4th degree burns, perhaps unsurprisingly) but I still saw him wandering around occasionally in that world, leaving a burning trail of destruction. :o
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Doomsun1

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 08:15:23 pm »

Ive seen that before on the legends of my map actually twice. A human law-giver was captured by a bandit and apparently the bandit turned him into a skinless humanoid with wings. The second time was when a year later another human who became the law-giver of the SAME civilization got captured by the very SAME bandit who proceeded to turn him into the SAME monster.
Pages: [1] 2