Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Author Topic: Droplet - An Evolution Toy - Updated 9-1-2011  (Read 17909 times)

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Droplet - An Evolution Toy - Updated 7-29-2011
« Reply #150 on: August 31, 2011, 10:23:04 am »

Just posting, so I would know, when any replies are posted. Awesome game!
IMO, that is a major understatement.
Yes, well, I just lack the time to show my full appreciation for this. Appropriately putting the awesomeness into words is difficult. (Not impossible though, not good enough for that yet.)

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #151 on: August 31, 2011, 04:58:05 pm »

Beyondrepair: As Droplet has some of the basics of the engine that I will be using in future proprietary releases, I'm not yet ready to open-source it. As the engine becomes further detached from Droplet, releasing the source code should become a real possibility.

I definitely encourage anyone interested in developing an evolution toy to strike out on their own with it - I think that it isn't as ungainly a proposition as it at first may seem.

Everyone: I'm hoping to release the next version either today or tomorrow. New features include saving and loading, as well as a basic settings file which will let you mess around with the dimensions and population caps and so on.

Also, my friend at Lexicon-Labs released a new version of Evolution. It now uploads your successful creatures to his server, and populates your game with other people's creatures.

Thanks for all the encouraging words and patience :)

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 31, 2011, 05:01:15 pm »

Yayayayay! I might try your friend's. Is it anywhere near as good as yours is?
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #153 on: August 31, 2011, 05:12:04 pm »

Yayayayay! I might try your friend's. Is it anywhere near as good as yours is?

I think it is pretty cool :)

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 31, 2011, 05:37:45 pm »

Well, since it's got the Spreggo Seal of Approval™, I'll have to try it out.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Beyondrepair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 01, 2011, 05:28:14 am »

Beyondrepair: As Droplet has some of the basics of the engine that I will be using in future proprietary releases, I'm not yet ready to open-source it. As the engine becomes further detached from Droplet, releasing the source code should become a real possibility.

I definitely encourage anyone interested in developing an evolution toy to strike out on their own with it - I think that it isn't as ungainly a proposition as it at first may seem.

Everyone: I'm hoping to release the next version either today or tomorrow. New features include saving and loading, as well as a basic settings file which will let you mess around with the dimensions and population caps and so on.

Also, my friend at Lexicon-Labs released a new version of Evolution. It now uploads your successful creatures to his server, and populates your game with other people's creatures.

Thanks for all the encouraging words and patience :)

Alright, it's your decision. :) Though I'd like to say it's not necessarily easy to gain anything out of a single person's proprietary code (you have to go a long way before anyone considers to purchase it, e.g. as with Dwarf Fortress). Still, I'm having high interest in your further development and will follow it closesly. :)

Suggestion: Genetic programming is even more fun than genetic algorithms in general IMO, e.g. at work I use genetic programming to develop AIs for card games for mobile apps and find strategies I could never find with just parameter set optimization. I don't know if you employ a fixed parameter set atm, but maybe GP tree could be used to represent a multicelluar plant/animal, thus describing how cells should grow from the original stem cell, rather than just considering each cell individually. Maybe this would work, maybe not, depends on how many cells you can put into the simulation without it lagging - in general you need a population of 500-1000 individuals to get meaningful evolution with GP.

Foot note: I developed a clone of the old game SimLife (no longer active), code can be found at http://sourceforge.net/projects/darwevo/, which is remotely similar to your friend's game.
Also developed a "cell soup" application similar to yours, though I never released that. I guess I'll revitalize that with some of your concepts (e.g. using chloroplasts) and see how it turns out. Don't have time to make anything that looks as good as your game tho. ^^
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 05:33:32 am by Beyondrepair »

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #156 on: September 01, 2011, 10:11:08 am »

Jimlad11

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert insightful text here
    • View Profile
Re: Droplet - An Evolution Toy - Updated 9-1-2011
« Reply #157 on: September 01, 2011, 10:43:48 am »

deleted
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 01:46:45 pm by Jimlad11 »
☼Cat Tallow Biscuits☼...Mmmm...

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 01, 2011, 01:37:25 pm »

what is the features?

It says right on the linked-to page what they are.

9-1-2011:
Upgraded to Allegro 5.0.4 libraries.
Added Save Game button.
Added Load Game button.
Added Save Cell Button.
Added Load Cell button.
Added Genocide button.
Added cell count and mutation chance indicators.
Added population count toggle.
Added mutation rate toggle.
Added error catching during graphics initialization.
Added 'settings.ini' file, to allow modifcation of some initial variables.
Code clean up and minor bug fixes.

Anyway, this is cool stuff!

Jimlad11

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert insightful text here
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 01, 2011, 01:44:47 pm »

deleted
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 01:47:23 pm by Jimlad11 »
☼Cat Tallow Biscuits☼...Mmmm...

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #161 on: September 01, 2011, 02:18:37 pm »

loving this "game".
but pink cells keep eating away everything. space, food, ...we are all going to die to the pink cells!
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 02, 2011, 12:48:31 am »

Sweet! Can't wait to download this. My computer is currently down to crucially low amounts of disk space, (Wavering between 0 bytes, 8 kilobytes, 32 kilobytes.) so I'm going to have to wait. (My mom is pointlessly using the disk space. Though she never lets it get too low, and moves files to outer disks every now and then. I am the one, who fully depleted it though, 'cause I want to use that space too! I'm conquering more land for myself, even though the computer's getting messed up 'cause of this. I must bare 'til she notices, and moves some of her files.) =b

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 02, 2011, 03:46:33 am »

I must bare 'til she notices, and moves some of her files.) =b
Eeew.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 03, 2011, 12:42:17 am »

I must bare 'til she notices, and moves some of her files.) =b
Eeew.
I don't see what I did there... Care to explain?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12