Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Author Topic: Droplet - An Evolution Toy - Updated 9-1-2011  (Read 17931 times)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: Droplet - An Evolution Toy - Updated 7-24-2011
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2011, 04:47:06 pm »

is it just me or is the fitness function for this just a tilted plane? Would be more intresting if here are, you know, actual complications like tradof and mocal maxima and stuff like that.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2011, 07:15:55 pm »

There appears to be some serious flaws when running on XP. I recommend not running Droplet on XP unless you want to encounter instability.

I'll see if I can begin sorting it out tonight.

Really? I've been running it on my XP comp, and no troubles at all. I've had one problem, but that was when the monitor was turned off via software or when the computer went to sleep. Nothing that bad.

Is there any way we can provide you with the error reports?

You can post the details of the crash here, for now. Eventually I'll have something a bit more official to take care of these things.

Not sure, but you are right that there are inconsistencies about whether or not it will run properly. I did manage to completely crash the graphics drivers of an XP computer at work in a test though, so I assumed that someone else might encounter a similar issue.

is it just me or is the fitness function for this just a tilted plane? Would be more intresting if here are, you know, actual complications like tradof and mocal maxima and stuff like that.

There is no 'fitness function' if you mean something that determines whether or not a cell should be rewarded/killed or not.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2011, 09:20:22 pm »

Do weaponised cells use energy to power them?
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2011, 10:06:06 pm »

Do weaponised cells use energy to power them?

Yes - the spikes have mass, and the cell pays upkeep based on its total mass. Other structures add mass too. I'll be tweaking the numbers to balance things out a bit more as we go.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2011, 10:26:47 pm »

Is it possible to post the upkeep numbers here? I'm thinking we could theorycraft the most efficient cell.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2011, 12:12:49 am »

Interesting game though the fact that it is extremely early in development is painfully obvious (not that your hiding that)

Do Cells even attack with spikes in real life?

The only part of the current game I didn't like was that the cells couldn't reproduce with eachother. Especially because for some reason the game decides to give "male and female" reproduction to the starting cells that start with only one copy (which is often the lead cause of death within 5 seconds)

2) Cells should have a mutation rate(which can be 0).  Whenever they split they should have a chance of changing one of their attributes or behaviours

Well in nature that is usually caused by the type of reproduction.

A 0 would be some sort of fantastical animal
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 12:23:36 am by Neonivek »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2011, 12:25:16 am »

I am no microbiologist, so the chances of me being wrong are astronomical, but I'm under the impression that they shoot chemicals at each other or try to eat each other.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2011, 12:53:49 am »

No clue. The spikes are only representational - Droplet is not a simulation of actual biology.

The only part of the current game I didn't like was that the cells couldn't reproduce with eachother. Especially because for some reason the game decides to give "male and female" reproduction to the starting cells that start with only one copy (which is often the lead cause of death within 5 seconds)

You must be playing an old version: The current version spawns groups of cells with different genders and they do indeed mate, as long as they are not too far away. Manually added cells can be copied or split (and edited if necessary) by the player to get the correct gender combinations. It is however, unlikely that asexual cells will evolve gender, as only one cell is reproduced at a time.  Not impossible though.

Is it possible to post the upkeep numbers here? I'm thinking we could theorycraft the most efficient cell.

The numbers are in flux at the moment. I'm also not totally sure what the best way to represent them is. Maybe as more get set down in stone I will take the time to draw them up properly.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2011, 12:58:59 am »

Regardless of if this is meant to model biology, it very, very well shows the four principles behind any form of evolution, biological or otherwise. I dare say this program alone could be used to show up creationists.

I sort of want a version that acts as your computer wall paper.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2011, 01:31:41 am »

I meant two entirely different cells.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2011, 01:54:21 am »

Regardless of if this is meant to model biology, it very, very well shows the four principles behind any form of evolution, biological or otherwise. I dare say this program alone could be used to show up creationists.

I do have to poinr out that they could simply write a program which doesn't evolve and just everything appears at once....

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2011, 01:56:36 am »

While yes, you could do that, it wouldn't show any of the principles involved. What you could do, instead, would be to sit in a room and program in front of a crowd of people.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2011, 02:29:08 am »

I do have to poinr out that they could simply write a program which doesn't evolve and just everything appears at once....

As well the end result of the game will almost always be a LARGE spiked Cell which lives off the dead bodies of its cousins... Or death.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 02:38:45 am by Neonivek »

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2011, 08:33:05 am »

I don't want to get into a debate on this subject, as I am not supportive of the creationist position, however I know enough of about it to know that this is misinformation. They believe in this form of evolution, and have no doubts as to cell mutation whatsoever. Even the Young Earth ones.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2011, 09:33:28 am »

As well the end result of the game will almost always be a LARGE spiked Cell which lives off the dead bodies of its cousins... Or death.

Just an energy use issue - right now it doesn't cost very much to have weaponization maxed. I'm tweaking this now, among other things, so there should be some better balance in the next release.

(Evolution vs Creationism)

It is true that Droplet works using a system of natural selection, but I can't possibly hope to mimic it so well that it would make a useful praise or critique of evolutionary theory or creationism.

I meant two entirely different cells.

Sorry - I'm not really sure what you mean. Cells of different species cannot reproduce with eachother, which is intended behavior. There can be very distinct individual variation throughout the population of a single species. If they reproduce sexually there is a lot of blending going on which you can usually watch happen.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 09:35:08 am by Spreggo »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12