Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: Droplet - An Evolution Toy - Updated 9-1-2011  (Read 17951 times)

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
Re: Droplet - An Evolution Toy
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2011, 07:41:39 pm »

Levi: The pixels are food :)

Turning the lights on and off is just for visibility, but the light gradient actually represents a light gradient. Example: photosynthetic cells produce energy at full speed in the brightest light, and slower in a shadow, and not at all in the dark.

The orbit is from the 'flow' option, which can be toggled on and off. It helps mix things up and adds another evolutionary pressure to the environment.

The cells pass on their genetic code when they reproduce. Their code is a 512 bit bitset. When they pass it on, there is a chance that one of these bits will be flipped. Everything about the cell depends on the genetic code.

I would also like a larger environment with more creatures, but alas I can't seem to get a handle on the efficiency problem this represents.

Adding food should be an easy addition so I will add it to the To Do list.

Normandy: Predatory cells can do well so long as they fit their niche well. Often if a predator is too successful, they will destroy their food supply too quickly. I think they often perform better in aquarium mode where buoyancy will keep them apart from their food source.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2011, 08:50:31 pm »

Can the cells be anything other than asexual?
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2011, 08:57:50 pm »

Can the cells be anything other than asexual?

Not currently. I found that the requirements for sexual reproduction when implemented were species breaking, so I've left it out to mull over exactly how that sort of thing should be implemented.

It might be possible to do it by magic spores.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2011, 09:09:19 pm »

It might be possible to do it by magic spores.

That's how it's done in DF  ;D
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2011, 09:19:23 am »

My one has two major species, with a third hanging on.

First is clumping large predators. Other is clumping plant, with symbiosis with a predator.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2011, 03:47:55 pm »

I got a bumper-farmer-symbiosis. It bumps smaller plantcells upwards into the light so they can reproduce, and eats them when they decay. Thanks, Spreggo, this is fun :)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2011, 04:25:29 pm »

Is anyone getting a crash when messing with the "flow" option???

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2011, 04:33:45 pm »

The cells pass on their genetic code when they reproduce. Their code is a 512 bit bitset. When they pass it on, there is a chance that one of these bits will be flipped. Everything about the cell depends on the genetic code.

Hmm.  I haven't seen any new species happening, but maybe I'd need to leave it overnight or something to see a new species appear.

One of the main reasons I mentioned a mutation rate is because I work in lab that does research on HIV.  HIV is a little unusual in that it has a ridiculously high mutation rate compared to most things.  I think it would be pretty interesting to see what would happen if some cells had a higher mutation rate in this. 

The downside to having a high mutation rate would be that you might often waste energy creating a cell that is useless.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2011, 04:55:24 pm »

Hmm.  I haven't seen any new species happening, but maybe I'd need to leave it overnight or something to see a new species appear.

One of the main reasons I mentioned a mutation rate is because I work in lab that does research on HIV.  HIV is a little unusual in that it has a ridiculously high mutation rate compared to most things.  I think it would be pretty interesting to see what would happen if some cells had a higher mutation rate in this. 

The downside to having a high mutation rate would be that you might often waste energy creating a cell that is useless.
Maybe mutation rate itself should be genetically determined? Often a high mutation rate is a reaction to high selection pressure combined with wildly varying measures of fitness, which means it doesn't matter if you lose a few because they most likely wouldn't have made it anyway. If the pressure and variance drops, the mutation rate of the species also returns to normal.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2011, 05:32:51 pm »

I think the current rate is one bit of code getting flipped every time it is copied. However, not all portions of code are being expressed at any given time. It may be expressed later, and then the mutations will become apparent.

I'm not sure how this compares to real life genetic mutations, since the metric is a bit different. It should be pretty simple to add a toggle to up the mutation rate - I'll put this on the todo list.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2011, 07:21:48 pm »

I can confirm that, Spreggo. Just got my plant (which started out defenceless) to suddenly pop one with three weapons.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2011, 11:33:31 pm »

Experiment time!

I've added a single cell to a blank ecosystem and will leave it overnight to see if anything cool comes out.  My first 20 or so tries I didn't get a viable cell, but now I've got some crazy link forming bouncing pink abomination of a cell now that its splitting like crazy.

Edit:  They are all still linky and pink, but they do have some variation in size and some of them flipped over to eating food.  Neat.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 09:17:40 am by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
Re: Droplet - An Evolution Toy - Updated 7-24-2011
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2011, 05:40:14 pm »

New Version!

Added sexual reproduction and made everything faster, as well as other tweaks.

Get details and download HERE.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2011, 05:43:54 pm »

You may have this as an intended feature anyway, but would it be possible to have it add a randomised cell at a random empty location every, say, twenty seconds or so?

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2011, 05:45:04 pm »

You may have this as an intended feature anyway, but would it be possible to have it add a randomised cell at a random empty location every, say, twenty seconds or so?

Seems possible, I'll add it to the todo list as an option.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12