Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12

Author Topic: Droplet - An Evolution Toy - Updated 9-1-2011  (Read 17918 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Droplet - An Evolution Toy - Updated 7-24-2011
« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2011, 12:30:21 pm »

Well then the only thing that changes about my statement is the removal of spikes.

HUGE cells are REALLY not punished for their size while small ones seemingly are (mostly because their deaths don't add much surplus food)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 26, 2011, 01:37:34 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitness_landscape

That thing. It's a plane. That is bad.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #77 on: July 26, 2011, 05:59:51 pm »

HUGE cells are REALLY not punished for their size while small ones seemingly are (mostly because their deaths don't add much surplus food)

As I said, things will be more balanced in time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitness_landscape

That thing. It's a plane. That is bad.

Sorry if I don't understand, but I don't think it is a plane. From what I understand that would mean that all cells are equally fit which isn't at all the case.

Edit: I think I do see what you mean about the reproduction rates being too similar. I will consider some mechanism or tweaks that will make the reproduction rates more dependent on fitness. Thanks for pointing this out :)

« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 06:05:02 pm by Spreggo »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #78 on: July 26, 2011, 06:09:47 pm »

This looks really neat. It reminds me of Darwinbots.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 26, 2011, 06:12:43 pm »

For some reason when I open it, the droplet menu thing appears on the bottom bar of my screen but nothing opens and I can't close it without useing ctrl alt delete.  I'm running vista what's wrong?
Nom nom nom

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 26, 2011, 06:29:40 pm »

It works for me now but a few questions:

a) The window is bigger than my screen, how do I make it smaller?
b) What do myocyte, photocyte, haptic and the rest mean?
c) How do I maximise the reproductive rate of a cell?
d) How do I make a predatory cell?

Answers to any of these would be very helpful, but I really need answers to a) and b) most.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 26, 2011, 06:29:40 pm »

Answers to any of these would be very helpful, but I really need answers to a) and b) most.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 26, 2011, 06:45:31 pm »

Don't know how to change resolution, but myocyte I believe means it can feel touch, photocyte can produce light, dunno about haptic, you cant, click on the photosynthetic until it changes to heterotroph.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #83 on: July 26, 2011, 07:07:54 pm »

Thanks for trying it out :)

a) Presently you cannot, but it is a low hanging fruit which I will address, probably in the next release.
b) Myocyte means it contract like a muscle, Photocyte means it produces light (presently not implemented, may be removed), Haptic means it senses touch, heterotrophs need to eat, photosynthetic cells need to be in the light.
c) Currently, most cells that can survive also have the capacity for max reproduction rate.  The reproductive rates are going to get tweaked so that balance in a cells design is even more important.
d) A predator might be motile (the ability to move under their own power), with a chance of 1 or 2 and a strength of 2 or more, have the behavior to wander when hungry, be a heterotroph, have a couple points in weaponization, have the aggressive behavior, and sufficient lipids reproduce itself.

For some reason when I open it, the droplet menu thing appears on the bottom bar of my screen but nothing opens and I can't close it without useing ctrl alt delete.  I'm running vista what's wrong?

Apologies, there are compatibility issues. From what I can tell, Droplet works the best on Windows 7. Upcoming releases should resolve some of these issues, hopefully.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 26, 2011, 07:13:13 pm »

Question: is the screen bigger than 1366x768 right now? I'm going to try this out after I finish playing Hammerfight, it looks pretty interesting.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2011, 07:13:32 pm »

Is it possible for the size increase to actually increase the playing area, not just size it up? Assuming that's not what you meant, of course.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #86 on: July 26, 2011, 07:24:36 pm »

Dsarker: The size of the field is tied to the size of the window. I don't currently plan to allow fields larger than the window area.

Aklyon: The size is 768 x 768.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 26, 2011, 07:37:30 pm »

Okay, cool. That's what I wanted :P

Thank you, once more, for making this incredible tool/toy. Really drives away the winter blues.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 26, 2011, 09:28:04 pm »

Thanks for trying it out :)

a) Presently you cannot, but it is a low hanging fruit which I will address, probably in the next release.
b) Myocyte means it contract like a muscle, Photocyte means it produces light (presently not implemented, may be removed), Haptic means it senses touch, heterotrophs need to eat, photosynthetic cells need to be in the light.
c) Currently, most cells that can survive also have the capacity for max reproduction rate.  The reproductive rates are going to get tweaked so that balance in a cells design is even more important.
d) A predator might be motile (the ability to move under their own power), with a chance of 1 or 2 and a strength of 2 or more, have the behavior to wander when hungry, be a heterotroph, have a couple points in weaponization, have the aggressive behavior, and sufficient lipids reproduce itself.

Apologies, there are compatibility issues. From what I can tell, Droplet works the best on Windows 7. Upcoming releases should resolve some of these issues, hopefully.

Thanks mate. Just one last question. (For now :P ) What is the purpose of starch and lipids? If a creature eats a lot and has many lipids and starchs, does that mean it can survive for a while without eating? I want to try to make a parasitic cell that will latch onto other creatures that share energy with their neighbours and suck them dry. Will making it have many starches but no chloroplasts, 1 connection and the ability to connect to anything accomplish this? Would I need to turn on sharing energy to allow them to recieve energ?

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2011, 12:00:22 am »

Okay, this one is relatively easy. Starches and lipids are energy stores.

However, predator cells do not necessarily have the ability to consume all the food they pick up, so they store that as well. So they have two energy stores.

Your planned cell should work, however, it also relies on the target cell sharing energy with everything. Also, cells only share energy when they have the energy they need to last at least one cycle.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12