Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Lords of Uberdark - 3D Voxel Based Mining/Building Game *+DORFS!* - 0.35 is up  (Read 27538 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile

Downloading now :)

What are everyones first impressions?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Updates 4 & 5 have been posted on the Kickstarter page and the Alpha is coming out...today!
:D

EDIT: aaaaand it's out!
for backers only :(

oh damnit why did my Visa have to be empty at the time?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

Woo!
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile

The beta alpha works like a charm. It's quite bare but looks promising. The graphics are good-looking.

You can dig using the left-click and you can build using the right-click and WASD, especially W and S which makes the cursor go closer or farther (the cursor is invisible if underground). You can also "paint" the stone in bricks or purple bricks (?) using O and P when looking at them.

You can go fullscreen but you need to modify the setup.txt in the game folder.

Ninja edit: Oh yes, it's an alpha. *corrects*
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 10:28:18 am by Meta »
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

You mean the alpha. ;)

You can make the cursor closer? thats useful.
Anyway, I made a stone pretzel.
How you pick up the stuff is a bit odd, though. It seems like I'd pick up a bunch for each hit, but I never get more than 4 or so unless I'm moving as soon as I dig forward.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile

It's little more than a tech demo at present, but I'm liking it so far.  Runs very smoothly and the graphics are pretty nifty.

It really does need a crosshair for digging though.  It can be a little tough to see where you are aiming at times.

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Downloading now :)

What are everyones first impressions?

My first impression is that I suck at building anything other than dirt piles and those tentacle things in the trailer :P
You have a pickaxe to dig, but it feels more like you are digging with *your face* because you have to be so close, and these smoke sprites pop out.
I keep pressing space to jump, but there's no jumping, and you can't easily see what slopes you can or can't climb.

This sounded a bit negative, but they are my honest first impressions. It's an alpha and I trust all these will be improved in the future.

Tips:
1) Open SETUP.txt and change the resolution to something bigger. Setting Cartoon lines = false looks better to me too, but that's subjective.
2) To build, first dig to gather materials, select the material with 1,2,3,etc. Then hold right click and a red sphere will appear, left click to place dirt there. Moving the mouse will move the sphere up and down, left or right. To move it towards the camera or away from it, use W and S. (If you suck at this too it will make me feel better). EDIT: I got better at it, place the sphere exactly where you want and click 1 one time instead of holding the button down.
3) Like Meta said, you can paint rock with grey bricks (undiggable) or purple bricks (diggable) with O & P.
4) R restarts your position in case you get stuck. It happens sometimes with thin walls.

Enjoy landscaping!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 10:57:26 am by Xinvoker »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile

Random thought:  I hope the dev allows standard polygons too.  Being able to use polygons for buildings and metavoxels for the landscape would be pretty darn cool.

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yea as expected is kinda hard to make things that look good with this control scheme..

But still, interesting little thing

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 01:55:04 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile

This game needs jumping. Seriously. It's like Doom, except the floors and walls are anything but straight, there are no weapons and no enemies, and instead of swisscheesing demons you're swisscheesing terrain.

Why did you have to link me to TVtropes?  I have things to do, and they were gonna get done.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Cyahnidde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I wanted to make a dragon statue(which failed) out of stone before I found stone, so I used dirt.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

Looks like claws.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This game needs jumping. Seriously. It's like Doom, except the floors and walls are anything but straight, there are no weapons and no enemies, and instead of swisscheesing demons you're swisscheesing terrain.

Why did you have to link me to TVtropes?  I have things to do, and they were gonna get done.
Haha, TV tropes isn't even that addic

Someone help me.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9