Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Lords of Uberdark - 3D Voxel Based Mining/Building Game *+DORFS!* - 0.35 is up  (Read 27552 times)

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Uber-yay! $20k reached! Let's hope all that money will mean faster development! :D

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

3 days ago was a maybe. less than two is a probably not.
I stand corrected.

Wooooooooo!
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How is this not just Minecraft (which just reached 3m sales) with new graphics?

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile

it has dorfs

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

Main goal at this stage is to have a team-based game pitting Dorfs against Goblins, with RTS elements like resource gathering and base building -- along with first person combat.
Minecraft is mostly about building atm, this actually has a focus besides that to start with.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter

posting to keep watch.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Minecraft has blocks. This one here works with voxels, means you have a complete 3d landscape you can edit freely
(like in gwx for example).

Unfortunately i don't have a credit card and kickstarter doesn't support paypal =(
No Uberdark for me...

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Minecraft has blocks. This one here works with voxels, means you have a complete 3d landscape you can edit freely

Unfortunately i don't have a credit card and kickstarter doesn't support paypal =(
No Uberdark for me...
From what i've seen in the youtube video, the freely editable 3d landscape looked pretty similar to blocks (albeit of different sizes) being placed and then having their edges roughed up some.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No Uberdark for me...
From what i've seen in the youtube video, the freely editable 3d landscape looked pretty similar to blocks (albeit of different sizes) being placed and then having their edges roughed up some.
Well how else are you gonna do something in a voxel enviroment? Place one atom at a time?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

I'll butt in again. Not voxels. Metavoxels. If you've ever worked with Lightwave, you know what the "meta" prefix means in this case - like metaspheres and metaedges, metavoxels keep their original meaning (a visual point in space), but gain parameters upon which surrounding geometry will be created. If you pay close attention, you'll see that the landscape in LoU is entirely polygonal. This is because these "voxels" are now used as merely reference points in space from which a polygonal mesh of the terrain is created. Instead of denoting each and every vertex in a wavy column's mesh and storing that in memory, the landscape engine simply creates a string of voxels, each containing its position, and three parameters - the index of the brush type, the size of said brush, and the texture used. It will likely optimize every "brushstroke", to avoid excessive memory usage when lots of strokes are made in the same general area. Then, whenever the engine needs to display, or otherwise use the terrain around the edited area, it will generate the required mesh on the fly. It's a pretty ingenious system, and if it's pulled off right, it will be extremely flexible without being too taxing on the hardware. Of course, physics are an eternal issue here, but setting up conditional responses to "hanging" parts should be no harder with metavoxels than it is with cellular terrain (not much anyway), and many games of this "fight build craft explore" type, like Minecraft and Terraria, can do very well even without something as simple as that.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 12:43:50 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sounds awesome!

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile

Somebody pledged 500$.

Anybody want to bet it was Notch?

Bet you £100 it wasn't?

"Just wanted to say thanks to Notch for pointing people my way! More news will be coming soon-ish!"
I bet he did

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile

Somebody pledged 500$.

Anybody want to bet it was Notch?

Bet you £100 it wasn't?

"Just wanted to say thanks to Notch for pointing people my way! More news will be coming soon-ish!"
I bet he did

It was a random guy called Seth Bailey.  I take cash or Paypal.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile

there's not even a notch, mojang or makurs persson on the backers list

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Updates 4 & 5 have been posted on the Kickstarter page and the Alpha is coming out...today!
:D

EDIT: aaaaand it's out!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 09:42:16 am by Xinvoker »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9