Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Lords of Uberdark - 3D Voxel Based Mining/Building Game *+DORFS!* - 0.35 is up  (Read 27554 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

This game is not voxel. It may use voxel-like representation in memory, but that's not voxel graphics
This is basically what I want in a voxel game. The ability to make natural non cube shapes.
Then it's not voxel u are looking for. Voxel is basically predefined 3d shape like cubes, spheres and so on.

That's like saying that once you smooth out or blur some sort of bitmap, you're no longer using pixels. Voxels can be rendered however one likes.

Here, check out Ken Silverman's Voxlap Engine- I know its the same voxel engine Ace of Spades uses, and I wouldn't be surprised if this game uses it as well. Ace of Spades reduced the granularity to mimic Minecraft, but you can see from some of the screenshots and tech demos that the engine is a lot more versatile than that.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This game is not voxel. It may use voxel-like representation in memory, but that's not voxel graphics
This is basically what I want in a voxel game. The ability to make natural non cube shapes.
Then it's not voxel u are looking for. Voxel is basically predefined 3d shape like cubes, spheres and so on.

That's like saying that once you smooth out or blur some sort of bitmap, you're no longer using pixels. Voxels can be rendered however one likes.

Here, check out Ken Silverman's Voxlap Engine- I know its the same voxel engine Ace of Spades uses, and I wouldn't be surprised if this game uses it as well. Ace of Spades reduced the granularity to mimic Minecraft, but you can see from some of the screenshots and tech demos that the engine is a lot more versatile than that.

Well, if we are going to have a voxel engine discussion, there's also the Atomontage Engine, which has a quite high-resolution landscape, with small voxels.
Quite impressive.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile

man, i really want to see this game made

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

Aaron bishop... isnt that the guy from egoboo?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile

yeah

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

A 2nd Kickstarter update/

Quote from: Update #2
to address some of the comments -- right now we're only planning to put out a Windows version, but it'll probably run well under Wine for all you Linux and MacOS junkies.  For realsies.

It also looks like we're not going to make the $20,000 funding mark at this point, but that's okay.  Think we'll follow the Notchware approach and release an Alpha version August 10th, even if the Kickstarter stuff doesn't pan out -- the flood of email and comments has shown that there's a ton of interest in the project.
Woo for the project going to continue anyway!
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

You're right. These are not voxels. These are metavoxels. Instead of representing every bit of landscape with a voxel, it uses constructs of parametrized voxels to generate polygonal terrain. Worms 3D uses a similar system, but with a fixed grid and cell size. Here, the cell size is dynamic at least.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A 2nd Kickstarter update/

Quote from: Update #2
to address some of the comments -- right now we're only planning to put out a Windows version, but it'll probably run well under Wine for all you Linux and MacOS junkies.  For realsies.

It also looks like we're not going to make the $20,000 funding mark at this point, but that's okay.  Think we'll follow the Notchware approach and release an Alpha version August 10th, even if the Kickstarter stuff doesn't pan out -- the flood of email and comments has shown that there's a ton of interest in the project.
Woo for the project going to continue anyway!

yay indeed! Although the project itself wasn't at risk, just the speed of completion. Once there are some Let's Play videos out there more interest will be generated. :)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

Update #3

Not much of an update, other than that the game features trees, axes, and picks. At time of this posting, they have 3 days to raise $8500- think it happens?

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile

Those models are great. I like them a lot actually. They have this impressive mix of realism and cartoonish feel to them.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

Like I said on the Kickstarter page, the guy has a awesome style.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile

If he were just to add a paypal option ...
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile

15 thousand guys, less that two days to go... is he gonna make it?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

3 days ago was a maybe. less than two is a probably not.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

Not at the current pace he's not. Which makes me sad, but not sad enough to actually donate.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9