Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 98

Author Topic: Diablo 3  (Read 110837 times)

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo 3
« Reply #1395 on: September 24, 2012, 08:53:29 pm »

I personally thought the whole story of Leoric and his fall was handled rather well.  I, on a personal level, thought the emotional level carried through rather well, perhaps I am just a master of suspension of disbelief from my many years of watching bad Sci-fi movies.  *shrug* Either way, I suppose we'll just have to live, I knowing that you found the story inadequate, and you knowing that I enjoyed the story thoroughly, and that there is nothing either of us can do to sway the other.

Edit:  Leoric in his final years was corrupted throughly by Lazarus, who did in fact worship demons.  It is logical to assume that in the depths of his Madness, Leoric might have fallen to the same forces, to be honest though I don't remember any particular demons that Leoric controlled, perhaps I am forgetting something though.

As for the Butcher, he was retconned to be one of several demons put together from the corpses of other demons if I remember the journal entry correctly.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 08:56:52 pm by V-Norrec »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: September 24, 2012, 08:55:12 pm »

No... I just have to wait. The first chapter as far as story is concerned is the best.

perhaps I am just a master of suspension of disbelief from my many years of watching bad Sci-fi movies.

Naw, I have that too.

I just apply critical thinking everywhere I go. I like to think about what I am seeing.

I personally thought the whole story of Leoric and his fall was handled rather well

How did he get that demon? If his corruption made him incredibly paranoid how come he is now a cackling mustach twirling villain? Why did he blow up that bridge if there was a bridge right beside it? How come he didn't just blow up that bridge while you were on it if he is so evil now? Where is his son in all of this?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 08:58:42 pm by Neonivek »

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: September 24, 2012, 08:57:31 pm »

No... I just have to wait. The first chapter as far as story is concerned is the best.

I've played through all the chapters, I enjoyed them all.  You might be waiting for a while.  :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: September 24, 2012, 08:59:12 pm »

I've played through all the chapters, I enjoyed them all.  You might be waiting for a while.  :P

Yeah you certainly have incredible suspension of disbelief.

I know quite a few movies you would just love.

Actually I should have you read stuff I write. Hmmmm...

Ohh well I can't say I havn't liked something everyone else thought was bad (Like my Pizza... Bruchetta sauce, extra cheese, olives, and sausage... soooo goood)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 09:02:52 pm by Neonivek »

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: September 24, 2012, 09:05:55 pm »

At the end of his life, Leoric had ordered his own men to kill his subjects, he had already completed his transformation into a 'mustache twirling villain'.  The paranoia was from when he was still holding onto his sanity against Diablo's evil.  His son became Diablo in the retcon, and/or were/are considered widely to be dead, though I can't remember any particular facts to back it up.  I also repeat, what demon did Leoric control I don't remember right off-hand.  As for not blowing up both bridges, it was his spirit that did that, perhaps his spirit can only do so much and he thought the door on the other bridge was locked.  *shrug*  I'll admit I just made it up, but the game is infinitely more fun that way :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: September 24, 2012, 09:07:43 pm »

The Jailor or whoever he was.

As for Leoric... he was crazy absolutely ax swinging crazy... but he wasn't exactly a villain who did evil for the sake of evil. He was so crazy he couldn't see right from wrong and was at LEAST lucid enough to fool others.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: September 24, 2012, 09:11:24 pm »

Ohh well I can't say I havn't liked something everyone else thought was bad (Like my Pizza... Bruchetta sauce, extra cheese, olives, and sausage... soooo goood)

That pizza... and you called Leoric a mustache twirling villain.  Why would anyone make a pizza like that?  WHYYYYYY?

(Just kidding, of course.)

The Jailor was once human I believe, since he Leoric and Lazarus were all overheard by Leoric's wife.  Or perhaps he was just one of Lazarus's servants that the Archbishop was able to convince Leoric to allow into his kingdom.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: September 24, 2012, 09:36:06 pm »

In D1, Diablo wanted a host, so he corrupted Lazarus, who corrupted Leoric. Leoric was too old or in some way insufficient to host Diablo, so D took prince Albrecht instead. When you confront Lazarus, he thinks you're there on a hero's errand and taunts you because "you are too late to save the child."

After slaying D, the final cutscene shows the hero prying the soulstone out of D's head, which reverts the body to Albrecht's. Canonically, the warrior (retconned into Leoric's other son, Aidan The Insufferably Generic) wins, jams the soulstone into his own head to complete the prison, and becomes the dark wanderer. D2 happens. (This is also ~80% of the entire plot of D1. There was also a mushroom and some goats or something)

As for rising, Tyrael says all the undead are rising because he lost his justice juice.. or.. something. I just assumed that was it, Leoric wants a big ole' helping of justice for being used as a puppet, but is so insane at this point that it's kinda hopeless.

I think the overarching plot wasn't inherently bad, but the minutae and especially the presentation were horrible. The side stuff is well characterized, but easy to skip. The primary plot that gets shoved in your face with butterfly magic, VERY insistent warnings about upcoming boss fights, or just straight up telling you how to win a fight while you're in it (kill the shadow adds in Diablo's phase 2) is what sticks with players. It was also horribly atrophied on the details side as well, which would have been for the best if everything else wasn't so heavy-handed.

There were also multiple butcher-type demons, the first one you see just has a nickname.

And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: September 24, 2012, 09:41:48 pm »

There were also multiple butcher-type demons, the first one you see just has a nickname

No... the Butcher was a SPECIFIC one of those demons (The D1 manual actually had a detailed description of them)

Overlords are created from tortured and flayed angels.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: September 24, 2012, 09:46:32 pm »

Right, specific one with a nickname. All I meant was there were more along the same lines, and it's not like Maghda is a reliable source... she did try and mindfuck Leah earlier, maybe she was bullshitting and trying to pass the new one off as the old.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: September 24, 2012, 09:48:07 pm »

Right, specific one with a nickname. All I meant was there were more along the same lines, and it's not like Maghda is a reliable source... she did try and mindfuck Leah earlier, maybe she was bullshitting and trying to pass the new one off as the old.

But they went out of their way to not only give it the same line but to also show it peiced together.

It is obviously the VERY same Butcher... but why and how is like... what?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: September 24, 2012, 09:54:52 pm »

Hmm. Oh, leftover justice juice. Clearly... justice being done needed a target, so Tyrael did that too.

*shrug* I dunno. Pragmatically it was a homage done for a bit of nostalgia, I'm content to leave it at that (for this instance, anyway).

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: September 25, 2012, 01:54:27 am »

I told you, it was retconned so there were several Butcher demons, rather than just the one.  Or at least I thought I said that.  If you don't like a retcon, fine, but it is what it is still.  Also Tyreal raised up all the dead who had been in some shape or another murdered from Diablo and his Reign of Terror.  This includes Leoric as he was so corrupted by Diablo's evil.  Since Tyreal wasn't directing it and actually raising the dead who would bring about Justice, the strife found in New Tristram is the result.  ((Funny story, Tyreal actually has raised the dead before from the books so it was a cannon power of his.))
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 03:08:10 am by V-Norrec »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: September 25, 2012, 10:14:17 am »

I don't consider the fact that Tyreal's power unchecked raises the dead as a plothole. I don't know where I implied that.

They pretty much outright state that it is how it happened. Why it worked exactly the way it did however is another then but whatever.

I told you, it was retconned so there were several Butcher demons, rather than just the one

What? When did this happen? They go out of their way to make this the same Butcher demon and now it isn't?

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: September 26, 2012, 04:51:49 am »

You didn't, I just found it interesting... you know, because normally necromancy would be considered on the darker side of magic.  *shrug*  I thought it was interesting anyhow.  It was never the same Butcher Demon... since the start of Diablo 3 (I beat the Butcher Day 2) when you listen to the lore Deckard gives you after defeating him, he has always said that there are several Butcher demons when they formerly believed there to be just the one.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 98