Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 98

Author Topic: Diablo 3  (Read 110951 times)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo 3
« Reply #1125 on: July 06, 2012, 05:51:55 am »

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-07-05-blizzard-diablo-iii-lacking-long-term-sustainable-end-game

Hey, Blizzard: Maybe you don't need to have a long term sustainable end game. There are certainly plenty of other successful games that don't go for that. You managed it with D2, but not for anything you planned: it's just how it ended up, because you had to roll a new character if you wanted a different skill set or if you made a mistake.

Frankly, I'm surprised Kotick even let Blizzard release a game requiring constant upkeep without a subscription model or paid-for DLC and expansions. I guess the projected earnings from the RMAH was able to slake his greed.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1126 on: July 07, 2012, 10:05:14 pm »

Ive decided to level up all my dudes to 60, that way I can throw away or sell all my ilevel < 60 items
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: July 08, 2012, 01:19:51 pm »

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-07-05-blizzard-diablo-iii-lacking-long-term-sustainable-end-game

Hey, Blizzard: Maybe you don't need to have a long term sustainable end game. There are certainly plenty of other successful games that don't go for that. You managed it with D2, but not for anything you planned: it's just how it ended up, because you had to roll a new character if you wanted a different skill set or if you made a mistake.

Frankly, I'm surprised Kotick even let Blizzard release a game requiring constant upkeep without a subscription model or paid-for DLC and expansions. I guess the projected earnings from the RMAH was able to slake his greed.

Kotick probably "let" them because Blizzard's original parent company is the majority shareholder of Activision-Blizzard :P Blizzard has always called the shots in the merger, hence why Kotick was appointed to bring Activision down to Blizzard's level of greed.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: July 09, 2012, 06:33:21 pm »

So I beat Asmodan on Inferno and have made $60 on the RMAH. I didn't even need to skip any elite packs.

Crit wizard so OP. I only had trouble at Ghom, before I added 300 loh ring.

In other news, I started gearing up a demonhunter, like everyone else on the damn planet. The legendary set ring I want to complete my set? $60 on the RMAH. No way...

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: July 10, 2012, 07:43:43 pm »

I stopped playing D3, and it's been less than one month.
I played D2 for close to a year,
I don't think i'll be playing D3 again,
thinking about reinstalling d2
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: July 10, 2012, 08:49:15 pm »

I tried that the other day, but it wouldn't run on windows 7, even in compatability mode. Is there some sort of patch or workaround?

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: July 10, 2012, 09:18:24 pm »

Spoiler: Game beaten (click to show/hide)

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: July 10, 2012, 11:28:03 pm »

I tried that the other day, but it wouldn't run on windows 7, even in compatability mode. Is there some sort of patch or workaround?

The thing about Vista and Win7 is UAC (User Access Control). It restricts user and programmatic access to files and functions. In particular, "Program Files" (and its 64-bit version) are protected.

Programs by default running as a normal user, even when your user account is an administrator. The program has to be "elevated" to gain administrative access rights. To elevate there will be the UAC dialog, ask you for permission, and if you are not logged in as administrator, you need to enter administrator credentials first. That means user is always notified of the elevation - so if a program gains access, it is you that approved it.

Diablo 2 places its save file inside its installation directory. If you install D2 inside program files, then D2 won't be able to save, or even operate normally (e.g. it needs to update some config files first).

No, I'm not suggesting you turn UAC off. That's compromising your systems security.

You should instead do either:
1. Install D2 outside of Program Files;
2. In shortcut to start D2, press the Advanced button and tick "Run as administrator".

I prefer option 1 myself, so you don't give D2 any extra access rights when it's not required.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: July 11, 2012, 04:13:59 am »

Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither. Benjamin Franklin

Sure its more secure, but having to dance everytime you open, write, play game, go pee can be a pain. Myself everytime i reinstall windows with UAC, disabling it is the first thing i do.

Ive spent 9 month downloading game/torrents and going on half-safe website and didnt catch anything. If you know your computer and can use a bit more than common sense turning UAC is not a treat to your computer. Thats my point of view tho. If you dont know much technical on computer, you are better with it, if you know your way around computer and know how to detect potential malware/unwanted program running, you dont need UAC.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: July 11, 2012, 08:55:04 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"The program can't start because D2Win.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem." It also says to make sure the disc is in the drive (it was). It was like this before I moved it out of program files, as well. Reinstalling has no effect. Moving it out of program files has no effect. Running as administrator has no effect.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: July 11, 2012, 08:57:03 am »

Run the graphics configurator, and change the graphics mode.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: July 11, 2012, 09:11:31 am »

You should instead do either:
1. Install D2 outside of Program Files;

I prefer option 1 myself, so you don't give D2 any extra access rights when it's not required.
I always install my games into c:\Games or G:\Games depending on how I have my system setup (RAID, etc.)  It may seem odd as a game developer to feel that "Games" aren't programs (yeah, I know) and shouldn't go in the program files, but I've always had that gut feeling.  I always felt that "Program Files" is for serious applications/tools/etc.  Then again, I hate how computing in general splits up binary and data and distributes it throughout your computer mostly because it forces you to hunt all over for it.  I wish more programs/OS's would adopt more of a "package" for applications (you have one package that you install and in that package is all the data for said application has access to, kind of like a sandbox) with hardlinks to shared libraries and user settings so when I go into the "Games\SomeGame\" folder you'll see a save folder, binary, and libraries used by said app.  Anyway, silly rant over.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: July 11, 2012, 11:32:07 am »

I tend to agree with the above, at least in it's most basic sense. HDD space is pretty cheap these days and most programs and games aren't that big.  If you don't NEED a games directory, you don't have enough games on your harddrive. This also goes for graphics editors, music creation software and programming junk. If you seriously think you can fit all this in and have it in even a remotely organizable setup under just a Program Files folder, you don't have enough of it. Any of it.

Oh, congrats on the completion btw. My phone doesn't zoom too well, so what were the other non-full orange bars (not being a smartarse here, I haven't played D3 in a bit).
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 11:34:24 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1138 on: July 11, 2012, 11:42:10 am »

Oh, congrats on the completion btw. My phone doesn't zoom too well, so what were the other non-full orange bars (not being a smartarse here, I haven't played D3 in a bit).
The ones at the top? They show the relative amount of time he's played each class, with the highest being wizard.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: July 11, 2012, 01:01:25 pm »

Spoiler: Game beaten (click to show/hide)

Looks like you've beaten the tutorial.  Time for hardcore where the real game begins.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 98