Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 98

Author Topic: Diablo 3  (Read 110977 times)

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo 3
« Reply #1080 on: June 29, 2012, 07:04:00 am »

Although it takes 2-3 days for verification. First time battle.net deposit. That's the most frustrated I have been with Diablo 3 since its release.

I'm stuck at Act II Inferno and started playing the auction house to make some gold rather than grinding. I've been on vacation (meaning I have a little extra time) and have started raking in the gold. So I figure I might as well see if I can translate this into green rather than gold.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: June 29, 2012, 07:30:43 am »

Best do it while you can. Items don't bind to a character or get destroyed, so the market will get saturated eventually.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1082 on: June 29, 2012, 07:37:24 am »

Best do it while you can. Items don't bind to a character or get destroyed, so the market will get saturated eventually.
Yeah, I always thought this was a bad decision on their part of they want to create any kind of stable market. The only way something exits the market is when someone stops playing and the items sit on their unused character, or someone breaks them down for craft components.

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: June 29, 2012, 08:20:30 am »

Yeah. I don't understand why they didn't just bind them to the characters.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: June 29, 2012, 08:47:30 am »

So wait.  Didn't these people run an MMO?  They set up a system with big faucets and small sinks.  They should know that that would lead to inflation of the in-game currency.  I know WoW's economy wasn't as extensive and critical as EVE's, but surely the same issues apply.  EVE's economy only works because the alliances piss away so many resources in their squabbles, or at least that's what I've inferred.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1085 on: June 29, 2012, 09:11:19 am »

So wait.  Didn't these people run an MMO?  They set up a system with big faucets and small sinks.  They should know that that would lead to inflation of the in-game currency.  I know WoW's economy wasn't as extensive and critical as EVE's, but surely the same issues apply.  EVE's economy only works because the alliances piss away so many resources in their squabbles, or at least that's what I've inferred.
Yep, if it werent for the billions of ISK wasted in random stupidity EVE's economy would be utter crap.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: June 29, 2012, 09:27:53 am »

If you haven't realized that this whole game is a money tree yet, there is no point in talking about it further. That's what Andir is telling you.
That's not what he said, aside from the handwaving part. He said if I didn't understand basic economics it'd be physically impossible to explain basic economics to me. The fact that you misinterpreted him to be more in line with how you think should probably give you pause, by the way.

In any case, everything I just said to him applies to this bit as well- "If you don't already agree with me there's no point talking about it" just means you're ineloquent or wrong.

If you want to keep debating or reading about it more just google "diablo 3 rmah" and see what people are thinking. We are not the minority here.
Being in the minority has nothing to do with being right, and being in the top google search results has nothing to do with being in the minority. "Other people agree with me" is one of the lowest arguments there is.

(As an aside, I Bing'd that anyway and got mostly guides, not doomsday articles and conspiracy theories. YMMV, of course.)
You are the one doing hand waving. I explained what the impact of RMAH has on items and the game.  You chose to ignore it and claim I was speculating.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: June 29, 2012, 09:46:51 am »

Can I ask for advice/builds from anyone who has gone through act2 hell as a barb? What sort of dps/armour should I be looking at?

I kind of melt pretty quickly when it comes to enemy champs.
I don't think I can help you, but just out of curiosity which ones? Particular combinations or just everything in general?

Also, how are you on getting out of the fire/avoiding lasers/etc?

I'm alright at avoiding the avoidables, it mostly the creatures thenselves that are the issue. The last one I fought was fast+lighting+arcane, I could get out of the way of the lasers well enough but I died so much to the mobs themselves that the respawn cooldown was roughly 30 seconds, I also had to do a full repair at some point.

But then another mob of champs before that I destroyed withough dying once.

This is my build, I usualy run in there activate everything and wail on them for as long as possible, using dread spear to heal me when needed.
Might be your problem is lack of resists / life on hit.  You've met reflect damage champs yet?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: July 02, 2012, 08:06:41 am »

Can I ask for advice/builds from anyone who has gone through act2 hell as a barb? What sort of dps/armour should I be looking at?

I kind of melt pretty quickly when it comes to enemy champs.
I don't think I can help you, but just out of curiosity which ones? Particular combinations or just everything in general?

Also, how are you on getting out of the fire/avoiding lasers/etc?

I'm alright at avoiding the avoidables, it mostly the creatures thenselves that are the issue. The last one I fought was fast+lighting+arcane, I could get out of the way of the lasers well enough but I died so much to the mobs themselves that the respawn cooldown was roughly 30 seconds, I also had to do a full repair at some point.

But then another mob of champs before that I destroyed withough dying once.

This is my build, I usualy run in there activate everything and wail on them for as long as possible, using dread spear to heal me when needed.

This build is wrong and horrible in many aspects. Try to watch videos from zrave at twitch.tv.  It's have alot of vids concerning barb builds/gear, pre/post patch.
In Soviet Russia cigarette smokes you

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: July 02, 2012, 01:48:18 pm »

This build is wrong and horrible in many aspects. Try to watch videos from zrave at twitch.tv.  It's have alot of vids concerning barb builds/gear, pre/post patch.

I thought this is exactly the type of statement Blizzard was trying to avoid with this game...
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: July 02, 2012, 01:50:48 pm »

I thought this is exactly the type of statement Blizzard was trying to avoid with this game...

Real money auction house. Gear = Game.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: July 02, 2012, 01:52:54 pm »

Yeah, well... they drastically altered fundamental gameplay formula from Diablo 2, and the majority of justifications I've heard for their decisions are some variation of "This is to avoid the situation in Diablo 2 where a very narrow selection of builds were considered 'viable'".
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1092 on: July 02, 2012, 02:04:33 pm »

Yeah, well... they drastically altered fundamental gameplay formula from Diablo 2, and the majority of justifications I've heard for their decisions are some variation of "This is to avoid the situation in Diablo 2 where a very narrow selection of builds were considered 'viable'".

That excuse is explicitly counter-factual. There are only 2 or so viable builds per class in inferno act 2 and later. All gear requires primary stat, vitality and resist all or its crap. This game has become a joke.

On another note, I made it to act 3 inferno. I get 1 shot by white trash mobs. Again. Progress is not just hard, but impossible.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: July 02, 2012, 04:44:35 pm »

If it's anything like WoW, it is true to an extent. You can plug your points anywhere and faceroll and that's good enough for 80% of the game. But Inferno, as with hard modes, are tuned for a different level of play and requires you to play 'skillfully.' That's not limited only to correct movement and skill use, but also skill planning and character builds. That could mean building for the correct survival skills, or it could be knowing that certain character attributes are mathematically more useful than others.

The only question as to whether this should be this way is whether you can consider "hard modes" part of the game that all players are intended to complete. It generally varies based on games: most players aren't concerned with getting a 100% clear in games which offer exploration or difficult achievements, but somehow in WoW and D3 (among other games), the expectation from players is that the content is there, therefore more than half the players should be able to complete it (even if they had completed it on an easier difficulty beforehand).

It is a very subjective thing, balance vs difficulty vs the players' entitlement.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: July 02, 2012, 04:59:46 pm »

I think that's the real issue here-- varied expectations. Before release, Blizz said inferno was going to be hard. "hardcore" (as opposed to hardcore) players scoffed and stroked epeens. Then, on release, inferno was hard. And there were rivers of tears. Now Blizzard is trying to backpedal into making inferno just another difficulty level with a steeper curve, and people hate that too.

Everyone wanted something, even if it was just pointing at D2 and hoping for that with updated graphics. No one got exactly what they wanted except powergaming munchkins that did treasure imp runs to make gold, before those got nerfed. Now here we are.

For my part, I quit WoW in Lich King, SC2 lasted me about a month. D3's lasted me about a month. I've played Dungeons of Dredmor off and on for most of a year, and DoD cost me something like $8 total.

If Blizzard gave me exactly what I wanted (fix itemization and class balance being dull as dishwater) for cheap, I might try it. Otherwise, it's gonna be a hard sell from a company that's burned me twice recently on the gameplay front.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 98