Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 98

Author Topic: Diablo 3  (Read 111068 times)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo 3
« Reply #960 on: June 25, 2012, 07:27:22 pm »

I didn't buy the game yet and I got a feeling I won't buy it. I just got a feeling I would regret it. The discussion section in the official forums are crying out loud "DON'T BUY THIS GAME!" Is it that bad?

After some patches maybe.
It's a heap of fun, there's just another nma type thing going on sadly.
nma?

National Medical Association
National Mining Association
No Mutants Allowed
Northwest Motorcycle Association
National Motorists Association
National Motosport Association
Next Media Animation
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: June 25, 2012, 07:50:17 pm »

The discussion section in the official forums are crying out loud "DON'T BUY THIS GAME!"

I can't think of a game I've played recently that hasn't had a hatedom. You gotta keep in mind that the people who actually enjoy the game are probably not taking time out to go post on the forums to get trolled by everyone else.

It isn't that bad, no. There are outstanding issues but they've been patched up more since release than D2 was for years afterward. *shrug* If you're looking for a loot-based hack-n-slash, you'll probably enjoy it. If you're going in looking for things to hate on, you probably won't enjoy it.

Every game has fanboys and haters but the number of haters on the official forums of D3 is looking very high. Just take look at the name of the topics. It has nothing to do with discussing the game. I even read a theory about how this is a plan to force (not encourage) people to buy items from RMAH because it's impossible to progress otherwise. Unless you gold-farm for eternity.

And I'm looking for something like D2 if I'm going to play D3. The reviews are making me scared though.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 07:52:02 pm by Leatra »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: June 25, 2012, 08:12:33 pm »

And I'm looking for something like D2 if I'm going to play D3. The reviews are making me scared though.

D2 means different things to different people. I see a game with skills that were bugged for its entire life and an economy that ran entirely on duped items. But if you're looking for a carbon copy, this ain't it. You could always try the starter edition or whatever, play to level 12 on any class for as long as you like.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: June 25, 2012, 08:17:53 pm »

Well... I can see where this is going.

I still have D2 installed anyway.

AustralianWinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: June 25, 2012, 08:45:04 pm »

In three years, when I call up my friend and go "Let's play Diablo!", I'm pretty sure I'll be playing D2. The game was RUINED FOREVER for me when I realised which way the plot was going.

Gameplay is solid, plot is a disaster. I have absolutely no idea what Blizzard is thinking. Probably $'s.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: June 25, 2012, 08:50:17 pm »

I think Blizzard 'turned' far too 'corporate' to care about their fans anymore. They won't listen to anything that goes around in the official forums. It seems everything in the game works towards encouraging RMAH. I hope I'm just being judgemental. I'll see it for myself when I buy the game, if I do.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: June 25, 2012, 09:04:34 pm »

I think Blizzard 'turned' far too 'corporate' to care about their fans anymore. They won't listen to anything that goes around in the official forums. It seems everything in the game works towards encouraging RMAH. I hope I'm just being judgemental. I'll see it for myself when I buy the game, if I do.

I'm confused. You dismissed the game less than an hour ago and now you're agreeing with posts that follow textbook trolling guidelines, without even playing the free trial to see if it's fun at all? Isn't that a bit pre-emptive? I stand by my statement before, if you're looking for something you won't like, you're bound to find it. But guaranteeing things sight unseen, especially on grounds of Blizz's official forums, seems like confirmation bias at work.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: June 25, 2012, 09:12:45 pm »

Forget I said anything.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: June 25, 2012, 09:19:49 pm »

I have no idea what just happened. If someone can fill me in, please do so?

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: June 25, 2012, 09:23:56 pm »

How is it textbook trolling to observe that Blizz built a game with RMT and are successively patching it to make it harder and harder to play without buying gold and items?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: June 25, 2012, 09:43:57 pm »

How is it textbook trolling to observe that Blizz built a game with RMT and are successively patching it to make it harder and harder to play without buying gold and items?

I just checked, RMAH commodities aren't active yet. You cannot buy gold with real money now, nor has the option been available at any time since launch. How can you compare playing with RMAH gold to playing without, when there's only ever been 1 option available?

People beat Inferno difficulty before the RMAH was active. Now the damage across Inferno Acts 2 through 4 has been lowered and high-level gear drop rates have increased. The next major patch is supposed to be a class balance overhaul, and sometime after that an itemization update.

What I call trolling is saying it's definitely getting harder to play less than 2 weeks after they nerfed a large amount of content. I also think it's a bit disingenuous to complain that all the best gear isn't immediately available to everyone who wants it. Zod runes in D2 weren't a reasonable thing to get legitimately, let alone expecting to pick the game up from scratch now and have everything you want to be a god(dess) in a month.

tl;dr making blanket statements loaded with false pretense in order to cause strife/get attention is trolling. All I was saying is, try it for yourself and make your own decision. There's a free trial for just that purpose.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: June 25, 2012, 09:56:00 pm »

The game was RUINED FOREVER for me when I realised which way the plot was going.

Gameplay is solid, plot is a disaster. I have absolutely no idea what Blizzard is thinking. Probably $'s.
Plot was too bad for me to take seriously, and I'm not sure why that'd interfere with playing the game anyway. I mean, unless you were playing it for the story, in which case I assume it'd have run out of story and then gotten boring anyway rather quickly.

That said, what surprises me is that your followers and craftsmen actually have decent and fairly well-fleshed-out stories/interactions, which just makes the plot even more bizarre. It's like they put actual effort into your hirelings, then got somebody's six year old to do the main storyline. ???

The incompetence does return in your NPC shoutouts, however. How hard was it to make a generic statement that doesn't sound like they're making fun of generic statements?

Darkmere pretty much covered this, but I'd also like to point out that blaming everything on the RMAH, without any particular reason to assume that's the case, also counts. "It got harder, therefore Blizzard's trying to force us to spend real money" isn't completely invalid as a theory, but if you wanna scream it from a rooftops as an absolute fact you'd better have some damned good evidence beyond "it got harder" and "RMAH exists," especially when "it got harder" usually refers to patching out completely broken cheese.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: June 25, 2012, 10:02:48 pm »

So they haven't released a feature that they claimed would be implemented 4 months ago.  In their finished game.  After they held a public beta.  By one of the richest game developers in the world.  Continuous server issues for the first week of release by a company that has run the biggest MMO for about 10 years.  Constant patching and nerfing and security issues.  'Broken cheese' isn't exactly hard to spot.  All you have to do is look at cd's to know that a monk squad could spam spells for invulnerability.  How does blizz not understand the concept of min-maxing?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: June 25, 2012, 10:26:14 pm »

So they never fixed the Inferno/Arctic wind/Volcano/Hurricane/Fend/Character sheet/mana burn mobs in D2 and it's been out for 12 years. Same company. 12 years. If you're going to point fingers, be fair about it. There was a D2 beta as well. And players have known about all that busted shit for a long time now. It tends to be looked over.

I've never had the "server issues" that everyone else apparently had. No idea about that. Do you really think they're going to throw the same server infrastructure that WoW uses at a game that has no monthly fee? Also, would it look better to not patch issues that exist, and pretend the game is perfect?

Damned if they do, damned if they don't. If people want to hate, they'll hate. The game's not perfect, but it's not the internet-hyped shitpile it's played out as on forums.

Also re: side characters having better plots: As I understand it, the guy responsible for their "world building" and secondary stuff is Leonard Boyarsky. He's a former Interplay employee who had a hand in the Fallout 1+2 stories. The main moustache-twirling crap was written by Chris Metzen, Blizzard's go-to hack for lowest-common-denominator schlock. They really were written by two different people, it's not just in your head.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: June 25, 2012, 10:34:11 pm »

If you're looking for something like D2 then give D3 a miss.

I've never had the "server issues" that everyone else apparently had. No idea about that. Do you really think they're going to throw the same server infrastructure that WoW uses at a game that has no monthly fee? Also, would it look better to not patch issues that exist, and pretend the game is perfect?

Blizzard: Buy our new online-only video game! Don't expect us to have the infrastructure to support it though because it's not WoW! :P
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 98