Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 98

Author Topic: Diablo 3  (Read 111166 times)

vaaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo 3
« Reply #885 on: June 14, 2012, 03:29:49 pm »

Does anyone know if weapon effects still work when using skills? I'm playing as a wizard and have a wand with lightning damage, sometimes an enemy shatters apart with lighting, though I'm not entirely sure if it's the skill that is working or the weapon itself (since I haven't seen this with for example a fire weapon). Also, if the weapon gives you health after killing a enemy does it do this too when using skills?

AustralianWinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: June 14, 2012, 03:31:12 pm »

Does anyone know if weapon effects still work when using skills? I'm playing as a wizard and have a wand with lightning damage, sometimes an enemy shatters apart with lighting, though I'm not entirely sure if it's the skill that is working or the weapon itself (since I haven't seen this with for example a fire weapon). Also, if the weapon gives you health after killing a enemy does it do this too when using skills?

Yes.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

vaaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: June 14, 2012, 03:33:49 pm »

Oh, okay :) I wasn't quite sure. It would be stupid too if you didn't have any reason for using weapons (as a wizard). Thanks for confirming!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: June 14, 2012, 03:50:14 pm »

All attacks are skills and all skills rely on weapons, whether they visibly use the weapon or not.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #889 on: June 14, 2012, 03:53:58 pm »

I am a wizard player, but I have a Demon hunter question...

Can you use the bow based attacks if you don't have a bow equipped? Will an axe shoot magic arrows?
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: June 14, 2012, 03:58:53 pm »

Traps and the like aside, most abilities won't work with a melee weapon. However, Impale does!

Kaiserr

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: June 15, 2012, 11:50:33 pm »

I am a wizard player, but I have a Demon hunter question...

Can you use the bow based attacks if you don't have a bow equipped? Will an axe shoot magic arrows?

AHAHAHA....no.
I learned that the hard way.
Wait, you type with your feet? That's badass.
DF: Beat people to death with their own appendages!

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: June 16, 2012, 12:57:34 am »

I am writing a Diablo 3 item optimizing utility...

To start with: You can input items, put them in your slots and it will tell you how the properties add up.

It will also take a list of items and automatically produce an optimized loadout of items meeting a set of minimum requirements, or maximizing a particular property.

This is all fairly easy if we are not talking about derived statistics, those formula's are not dependent entirely on items and are subject to nerf batting.

I am running into issues with class progression. I don't know what the attribute progression for each class is. So I wont be able to input level 34 Wizard and know what base strength, vitality, intelligence and dexterity I have in order to determine derived stats like DPS, DR, Dodge Chance. Instead You will have to strip your character naked to find those base abilities. And I can't find the details anywhere. All I know is that they get 2-3 to the primary, 1-2 to vit and 0-1 to the other 2 per level (sum of 5).

Edit: comparing a level 1 wizard to a level 60 wizard, I get 8, 8, 10, 9 and 67, 67,  187, 127. That is strait up 1 to str, dex, 2 to vit and 3 to int. Exactly over 59 levels. The internet has bad data, there are 7 attribute points per level, not 5.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 01:19:15 am by Nadaka »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: June 16, 2012, 01:47:54 am »

http://www.diablofans.com/news/1249-...icial-changes/

Oh, and Blizz apparently loves enrage timers.

Enrage Info
Siegebreaker - (Pulsing damage) Combat against the Siegebreaker Assault Beast has grown more difficult. You are taking damage over time.
Zoltune Kulle - (Teleport to Player) and (Collapse Ceiling)
Belial - (Belial Lightning Strike Enrage)

This is crap, IMO. Sure, end bosses are underwhelming in difficulty compared to elite packs and rares, but making these guys what amounts to a gear check in a 100% gear driven game is BS. I loathed enrage timers in WoW because it made some fights simply impossible to do.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: June 16, 2012, 09:14:46 am »

I loathed enrage timers in WoW because it made some fights simply impossible to do.

As bad as I and my guild were at the game, this is obviously untrue. There were a few cases where content was of such an obscene difficulty as to be intentionally unbeatable, because it was released unfinished or was artificially gating other content that wasn't finished, but 98% of the content in WoW was beaten even in its hardest iterations. The hardest content is often made easier after the top players beat it, yet there will always be players who complain about the difficulty. Now granted, most of the top players beat the hardest content using exploits that aren't available to subsequent players (something repeated in D3), but generally speaking those weren't to make the fight possible, only faster in terms of the number of attempts it takes to beat it (versus having to waste weeks farming the RNG to gear the team to the maximum).

I will grant that enrage timers are a pretty uninspired way to add difficulty to a fight (and in most cases somewhat immersion breaking as the enemy begins using some absurd ability for which there was no reason - except "fairness" - to not use previously). But, there are only so many ways to tune difficulty. Enrage timers are no different than adding time limits or other "race against the clock" mechanics in other games. In might even be more appropriate in a game like Diablo, where you other avenues to improve your performance than simply mashing your buttons faster or learning perfect control.

One thing that does annoy me, though, is Blizzard's insistence that the game must be played their way. Any success that players might have in finding unconventional gameplay or tricks are quickly squashed. It is something that burned me out of WoW. Instead of giving us content that took thought (and yes, some benchmarks) to defeat, fights could only progress the way Blizzard intended. You couldn't drag the bosses through the entire raid zone to kite it, you couldn't split groups that were linked, you couldn't use player abilities or consumables in an unorthodox way (they'd get nerfed). As simplistic as EQ's early bosses were compared to WoW's scripted things, Verant didn't really care how you beat content, only that it was possible to beat it.

Why that philosophy should apply to a largely single player game, and one which they had admitted has (though possible) no focus on player versus player content, I have no idea.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 09:21:49 am by Niveras »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: June 16, 2012, 12:40:13 pm »

I don't mean in the sense that some fights were impossible for everyone.

But they were often impossible with the people and the gear you had. I raid led Kharazan all the way the way through to Tempest Keep, and was a raid member all the way through Black Temple. And there were some fights you simply could not do without:

1. People with the highest level possible gear.
2. People of the right class.
3. People with the right spec.
3. The right people with the absolute highest level of focus.

There were days our group would beat an encounter, then we'd come back with a slightly different group of people, maybe some people who either hadn't done the fight or done it enough....and we'd fail. Largely because of things like enrage timers. You wouldn't have the DPS you needed, because someone would die too early or they simply didn't know how to DPS to the max or apply DPS the fastest in a given fight. Zul'Aman was THE zone where this finally started to really piss me off.

And I feel like D3 often shakes out the same way, where if someone dies in an unrezzable spot, the fight just went from doable to balancing on a cat's whisker. And now they're going to add enrage timers to several notable fights? (Belial? FUCK.) It feels like the same story all over again, where you'll be playing with your friend who maybe doesn't have the best gear, or the best latency, or the best understanding, and suddenly you're at a brick wall. That's why I don't like them. It's exactly what you said:

One thing that does annoy me, though, is Blizzard's insistence that the game must be played their way. Any success that players might have in finding unconventional gameplay or tricks are quickly squashed. It is something that burned me out of WoW. Instead of giving us content that took thought (and yes, some benchmarks) to defeat, fights could only progress the way Blizzard intended. You couldn't drag the bosses through the entire raid zone to kite it, you couldn't split groups that were linked, you couldn't use player abilities or consumables in an unorthodox way (they'd get nerfed). As simplistic as EQ's early bosses were compared to WoW's scripted things, Verant didn't really care how you beat content, only that it was possible to beat it.

This. Half of the nasty fights in D3 are beaten by kiting, getting in damage where you can, avoidance and great timing with your abilities. Enrage timers basically say 'Ha, fuck you and your way of doing things.'

The fact you invoked Verant tells me exactly how well you know how things once worked.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 01:26:40 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: June 19, 2012, 02:51:52 pm »

They multiplied repair costs by about... 8 times. It may not be profitable to farm any act/difficulty where you die at all.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: June 19, 2012, 03:00:00 pm »

I'm curious to try playing tonight after work to see how much of a difference there is.  I was getting my butt kicked in Act 2 inferno, but Act 1 Inferno was pretty easy for me.  Maybe now Act 2 will be doable for my monk.

I don't think the Attack Speed nerf will affect me much, I got rid of most of my attack speed items already. 

I am really glad that apparently you'll get more Rares from elite groups now. 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: June 19, 2012, 03:55:23 pm »

They nerfed magic find as it applies to all containers. Even chests. Not sure if that applies to gold find as well.

Way to go Blizzard. Create a game about farming loot, then nerf the farming of loot.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: June 19, 2012, 03:58:17 pm »

They nerfed magic find as it applies to all containers. Even chests. Not sure if that applies to gold find as well.

Way to go Blizzard. Create a game about farming loot, then nerf the farming of loot.

I don't know why they'd nerf it for chests, that seems pretty strange.  I don't really mind the rest of the containers though, it means I don't have to click on random corpses anymore.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 98