Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 98

Author Topic: Diablo 3  (Read 111191 times)

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo 3
« Reply #795 on: June 04, 2012, 01:26:46 pm »

My quick recap: Overall decent game, well worth 60 bucks. I mean seriously, one night in a club or a hooker costs more  8)
This is all that needs to be said. :D

Thats meant to be a joke :D I understand that money amount is subject to discuss, but every single AAA 50$ title these days is total garbage compared even to that reasonably shitty Diablo instance. Yes, I was expecting alot more. And no, I do not regret money spent.
In Soviet Russia cigarette smokes you

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: June 04, 2012, 01:32:32 pm »

It's centralized and have a same standard for everyone and it WILL have huge community. I dont get why people complain about always online. Pro's overweith cons.

To who? The outages, but more importantly the terrible latency, have completely outweighed any of the features I use online. A friend's list? That's about the most useful thing I get out of being online. Achievement lists, the AH, and all the hookups to Bnet I couldn't care less about. For the people that have been hacked, I'm sure the benefits are clashing even harder with the cons.

Unless Blizzard starts putting in a ton of content on a regular basis like D3 is an MMO, I question how big their community will be a year from now. D3 isn't the kind of game you can live in like WoW. And they seem to be banking on the idea that everyone is going to be spending their hard earned money at the RMAH on the weekends. Which, when people finally start getting tired of being gamed by D3's itemization, they might not.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: June 04, 2012, 05:41:21 pm »

2. It's centralized and have a same standard for everyone and it WILL have huge community. I dont get why people complain about always online. Pro's overweith cons.

Out of genuine curiosity: what are the pros of always-online?

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: June 04, 2012, 06:15:41 pm »

I dont get why people complain about always online. Pro's overweith cons.

Name a single positive thing that has come from always online. I'd really love to know, because I can't think of a single one.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: June 04, 2012, 06:19:41 pm »

I dont get why people complain about always online. Pro's overweith cons.

Name a single positive thing that has come from always online. I'd really love to know, because I can't think of a single one.

Parents' ability to block Diablo 3 access to the Internet and prevent their children to spend too much time on it.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: June 04, 2012, 06:22:40 pm »

Parents' ability to block Diablo 3 access to the Internet and prevent their children to spend too much time on it.
I'd consider this a crutch for bad parenting, personally.

For good things, maybe reduced hacking or somesuch? I'm not sure if D3's economy is balanced enough to matter, but in theory avoiding certain people having infinite gold or duplicating the best items is a very worthwhile goal.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: June 04, 2012, 06:28:40 pm »

I'd consider this a crutch for bad parenting, personally.

For good things, maybe reduced hacking or somesuch? I'm not sure if D3's economy is balanced enough to matter, but in theory avoiding certain people having infinite gold or duplicating the best items is a very worthwhile goal.

But you can accomplish that self same thing by just applying real world money to the auction house though? It's not like D3 is a super competetive MMO, it's an action RPG designed to be played mostly cooperatively. How does someone else having unlimited gold impact your game experience?

And you don't need always online to do that anyway. You can do that with just regular old normal online stuff that most other games have, surely?

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: June 04, 2012, 07:00:05 pm »

I'm sorry, reduced hacking? There has been a massive furor over D3 accounts getting hacked and stripped of items and gold.
Not to mention that always-online isn't even a requirement for that at all. A singleplayer mode could exist perfectly well alongside that, with SP and MP characters being separate and unable to enter the other mode. Much like it was, oh I dunno, in Diablo 1! In 199-fricking-6!

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: June 04, 2012, 07:32:10 pm »

I am completely unsurprised that Diablo 3 would have as bad or worse a problem of compromised accounts as that which afflicts WoW, RIFT, any MMO, and hell, probably any online game with more than a million players. Look deep enough and I bet you'd find an underground market for TF2 items.

I suppose you could argue that a compromised account isn't technically hacking. Certainly not on the scale of D2, with custom items, godmode, and other exploits running rampant despite whatever security measures online battle.net tried. It didn't stop things happening in WoW - though they were probably reduced - and banning accounts isn't much of a deterrent when the perpetrators still make enough money to just use or acquire new accounts.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 07:34:37 pm by Niveras »

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: June 04, 2012, 08:01:50 pm »

Well no, it's the others things, the godmode, the custom items, that aren't technically hacking. They're just cheating, and the major difference there is that people do it for their own benefit. And if someone wants to make his game boring by turning on godmode, why should you care? It doesn't affect your game unless you like to play with random strangers you don't know. And even then it just means having some immortal buddies. It's not like they can kill you in D3, given that there's no PVP. Play with your friends whom you trust to not cheat and there is no problem at all. But getting your account hacked and your characters stripped bare, that's a big damn problem for you.

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: June 04, 2012, 08:02:57 pm »

The hacking on this game should be worse than any other game in history since we are going to have a real money auction house. That scares me.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: June 04, 2012, 08:07:41 pm »

Well that's not certain just yet. I'm actually really curious whether they're going to go through with it, so far they've delayed it several times to fix security issues. But given that account hijacking has existed in WoW since its launch and they haven't been able to do anything about it for seven years, I seriously doubt they're going to be able to fix it for D3.

Personally I hope they realize the whole idea is idiotic, drop the RMAH, and patch in proper offline singleplayer instead (the absence of which is IMO a direct result of D3 being designed around the RMAH). It's a pipe dream, sure, but the alternative, i.e. that they release an unsecure RMAH, is scary, as you said.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: June 04, 2012, 10:32:08 pm »

/anecdote/
Went back to play Dungeon Defenders some more with the summoner classes today and was co-oping with a friend.  I was having some ugly Internet issues (high pings, lost packets every 4-5 attempts, known area 'outage') and kept getting kicked from the game, but I was able to plant my defenses and at least get help experience while he RTS'ed with the Summoner character.

Then I thought to myself, this would suck if it was D3.  I couldn't even play with a bit of lag let alone 3-4 seconds at times.  All I'd be doing is trying to keep up.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: June 04, 2012, 11:33:16 pm »

I'm actually really curious whether they're going to go through with it, so far they've delayed it several times to fix security issues. But given that account hijacking has existed in WoW since its launch and they haven't been able to do anything about it for seven years, I seriously doubt they're going to be able to fix it for D3.

There's no way they're going to back away from the RMAH over such a thing as account security. They've already basically said that people that have been hacked were hacked because their passwords were already compromised, not because of a flaw in the game or its network code. Everyone and their dog knows that's a total crock of shit, but it's not like Blizzard/Activision is going to walk away from the RMAH. They've invested too much into it and completely changed the game because of it. They're going on to launch, if only to find out that it isn't a business model that will get them the kind of money they want.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: June 05, 2012, 04:57:58 am »

Well no, it's the others things, the godmode, the custom items, that aren't technically hacking. They're just cheating, and the major difference there is that people do it for their own benefit. And if someone wants to make his game boring by turning on godmode, why should you care? It doesn't affect your game unless you like to play with random strangers you don't know. And even then it just means having some immortal buddies. It's not like they can kill you in D3, given that there's no PVP. Play with your friends whom you trust to not cheat and there is no problem at all. But getting your account hacked and your characters stripped bare, that's a big damn problem for you.

While the use of cheating may just be "cheating," the back end of how it works is closer to hacking than the use of keyloggers to compromise accounts. While it is possible, I haven't seen anything to indicate that, at least for the last several years, all compromised accounts in WoW (and now D3) haven't simply been the result of customers practicing poor computer security.

Although, if they compromise online accounts that way, why they don't also target personal financial information is a big question. Maybe they do but it's less obvious, because financial businesses don't have online forums where their customers publicly complain. Maybe they don't because it is harder to target - there are a lot more financial institutions than MMOs, and certainly many more avenues to 'focus' infection through compromising ads via online gaming sites, or the sites' users database (and then trying those user names and passwords on the games the site covers).

If the black market for accounts and items have compromised the network security of Blizzard and any number of other online games, but admins won't admit it, then that's an interesting quandary. Actually, I think RIFT actually had that problem and admitted it, after fixing it, though I don't know how much the trading still continues. I don't have a stake in these sort of games any longer, but personally I still believe the weakest point of security is still a PEBKAC error.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 05:21:10 am by Niveras »
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 98