Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 98

Author Topic: Diablo 3  (Read 111131 times)

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo 3
« Reply #735 on: May 31, 2012, 02:45:46 am »

Meh. Another bot, another report.

Damn I hope these things aren't prevalent. I mean, I'm on a guest pass for god's sake. There's nothing to find, nothing to sell, and about 1 1/2 hours to level to max in guest pass. I'm kind of glad I did save my money until next payday to buy this, if it gets overrun by bots this early, I'll be stuffed if I will pay my cash for it. Or I'll see what The Amazon Basin is doing. Or something......

Bleh, I couldn't be stuffed playing any more today. A bloody WD bot in normal. Bleh.
It's a game. Have fun.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: May 31, 2012, 03:07:34 am »

I guess I'm a bit late for the big ole' shitstorm but here, have 2 cents! And then some....

Normal is easy: Yes, normal in Diablo has always been easy. Normal in D3 is quite a bit harder, on average, than the other 2 games. It's sort of a franchise thing at this point. I look at it the same as Zelda bosses where you have to use the dungeon item on the boss 3 times. Every time. That said, I did die in act 1, right past the skeleton king, on normal my first time through.

And yes, you could stand out in the Blood Moor (D2, act 1, area 1) and zombies would basically ignore you.

D2 was so much better!: To play devil's advocate, D2 has skills which have been broken/bugged/useless for as long as I can remember. (inferno, fend, arctic blast come to mind. The first simply cannot function as designed because the game engine negates 80% of its damage. The last was a direct copy of the first, showing that Blizzard really just didn't care about documented issues).

DRM/RMAH/etc./etc. Personally, bringing these up here *without* discussing how they impact the gameplay itself seems to me like people are pushing a political agenda and using this game as an acceptable target/vehicle for soapboxing. Having an opinion on the state of the vidya gaem industry is great; I've been known to express my own on occasion. But I don't recall this much hubbub getting raised about other AAA titles that had similar issues. I'd prefer state-of-the-industry commentary be kept separate from ANY individual game threads, unless noted and discussed in relation to specific issues in specific games. Also, world peace.

All that said, were I to re-evaluate my opinion on the game after 2 weeks of play... and I were shall, it'd go like this:
Spoiler: The Good (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Bad (click to show/hide)

The gameplay-related downers are mostly fixable, but in spite of myself I do think the company is going slowly senile. I hope they can pull this one off in the medium-term, because I'm kinda sick of watching my favorite Blizz franchise be the bastard child of the company and get locked in the attic to be tormented by Uncle Bob thwacking the second-floor ceiling with a broomstick.

Re: bots.
I'd love to see a bot farm any meaningful content at 60. By meaningful I mean champ packs in A4 Hell and onward.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: May 31, 2012, 03:16:16 am »

I'm getting the full game on the 14th,   :-\  soo far away.

and I have an opinion to weigh in on the real money AH,

Think back to D2, there were all those websites that sold items, they just didnt want that to happen with D3, so they beat them to the punch and just included it as a feature,
the only thing I don't like about it is that there is the $1 fee to sell an item on the AH.

one whole U.S. dollar, that seems like a lot of money to sell a virtual item.  I thought it would be free, or like 5 - 10¢
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: May 31, 2012, 03:35:21 am »

Think back to D2, there were all those websites that sold items, they just didnt want that to happen with D3, so they beat them to the punch and just included it as a feature,
the only thing I don't like about it is that there is the $1 fee to sell an item on the AH.

one whole U.S. dollar, that seems like a lot of money to sell a virtual item.  I thought it would be free, or like 5 - 10¢

They did not not want that to happen, they just wanted a cut from the profits.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: May 31, 2012, 03:54:34 am »

I agree, it's mind boggling why they made the point of entry into the game so very simple. I understand that there must have been discussions about the fact that many gamers have never played D1 or 2 but I don't think this was the best solution. I suspect it was to extend the gameplay in addition to easing new players.

WoW is the only game some people have ever played. I think Blizzard wanted to make sure Diablo 3 could be that kind of game too. The early game is expertly crafted to slowly introduce new elements into the game while the player learns the basic mechanics of the game without much far of dying. It's a great tutorial, especially for people who haven't played much games at all.

The problem is that you have to go through it every single time you start anew, but I absolutely get why they did it. It is also fun, as much as a tutorial-y thing can be.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: May 31, 2012, 03:59:02 am »

That dollar is also intentional. It is so the gold market isn't crippled. So only items worth more then a dollar are put on market.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: May 31, 2012, 04:07:09 am »

The early game is expertly crafted to slowly introduce new elements into the game while the player learns the basic mechanics of the game without much far of dying. It's a great tutorial, especially for people who haven't played much games at all.

The problem is that you have to go through it every single time you start anew, but I absolutely get why they did it. It is also fun, as much as a tutorial-y thing can be.
"Expertly" might be too strong a word, but yeah, some people just have absolutely no idea how video games work. Plus, as they've pointed out, if it's stupid filler for you you'll just blow through it pretty rapidly. It's not ideal, but it's not a huge hindrance.

Except that it's arguably tutorial for the entirety of Normal difficulty, that is. As others have pointed out, that's an awful long time to force players to slog through Useless Mode.

That dollar is also intentional. It is so the gold market isn't crippled. So only items worth more then a dollar are put on market.
I'm guessing that had less to do with not wanting the gold market crippled and more to do with not wanting the RMAH flooded.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: May 31, 2012, 09:22:59 am »

So, I'm a little stuck on accessing the following spoiler:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ah okay.  Thanks!
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: May 31, 2012, 10:47:12 am »

Perhaps the more important issue, than the DRM itself, is that major design decisions were based around the AH and the RMAH.  Always-on DRM is needed so no one can dupe items.  Low drop rates are needed to create the scarcity needed to force people to use the AH.  Small group sizes mean that every person in the group has to have better gear to be able to matter.  Removing stats and skill builds means that the only thing that requires serious thought or investment are your items.  The game is seemingly designed around buying item and legalizes RMT. 

This is a major factor in what makes this feel like a cash-in.  Blizzard has earned themselves a bad name in my book, both due to D3, but more significantly due to their conduct regarding Valve and Dota.

And I don't know why you're saying D2's normal was all easy.  This is, of course, subjective, but Duriel rocked my day every day.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: May 31, 2012, 10:58:31 am »

Perhaps the more important issue, than the DRM itself, is that major design decisions were based around the AH and the RMAH.  Always-on DRM is needed so no one can dupe items.  Low drop rates are needed to create the scarcity needed to force people to use the AH.  Small group sizes mean that every person in the group has to have better gear to be able to matter.  Removing stats and skill builds means that the only thing that requires serious thought or investment are your items.  The game is seemingly designed around buying item and legalizes RMT. 

This is a major factor in what makes this feel like a cash-in.  Blizzard has earned themselves a bad name in my book, both due to D3, but more significantly due to their conduct regarding Valve and Dota.

And I don't know why you're saying D2's normal was all easy.  This is, of course, subjective, but Duriel rocked my day every day.
Agree.  And I seem to remember deaths on Blood Raven.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: May 31, 2012, 11:02:56 am »

You could die pretty easily in the middle of a swarm in normal D2. Rarely did you get gear so good that you could laugh off half an act because of it. Even if your DPS was high, theirs was too so you could still get cut down with enough damage coming in. Bosses were also much, much more unforgiving. Blood Raven maybe not so much, but Andariel and Duriel, very much so.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #746 on: May 31, 2012, 11:32:18 am »

Agree.  And I seem to remember deaths on Blood Raven.
I've died a LOT in act 1 on nightmare or whatever it is that comes after Normal.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: May 31, 2012, 04:16:35 pm »

That was just the step up between difficulties. What was great in normal was barely good enough in nightmare, same with nightmare->hell. Although in nm->hell you would also find that a lot of skills weren't effective anymore (basically, single element attacks, especially fire based one) so you'd better have a backup attack. Or remake a character from scratch. Or respec, but respeccing came much, much later (last and final patch actually).

I've died to all kinds of stuff in normal and nightmare in D2. Duriel, the Council, forever-raising skellies in the desert tombs, got mobbed and flamed in hell stair bits, got under-ground punched by stuff early in act 5 because I couldn't get to them to kill them because it was blocked by mobs, weird stuff in andy's tomb. Just all kinds of stuff. That's without gloam mobs, viper-spear-death, freaky boss packs or immune-to-all-my-attacks Izual in hell-first-play-through. Yes, Izual, the shame :(

While a lot of it was my own fault (laziness, stupidity, alcohol and D2 didn't mix), there was usually something you had to watch out for.

I don't know if the skill system in D3 is a good idea. I'll only ever need one of each character, with even niche gear kept in my shared stash. I can respec on the fly, re-gear in about 30 seconds, teleport to where the action (or my party) is in 15secs. I never have to begin all over again, the party never has to withdraw from action - we can always reinforce, I never need to find the gear and skill-up for a cool niche build I want to try out.

I know my characters won't feel unique (all 5 of them that I'll ever need), but I still don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing. Maybe hardcore will become the only real way to play D3. You might not feel unique, but at least you're a high-level character with cool skills and runes, and you're still alive to use them.

Thinking about it, imagine if there was always-online DRM, hard-to-dupe items, a gold and RM auction house and limited (or no) respecs in D2. They would have made an f'ing fortune!!!! More than they ever will out of five insta-respeccable characters per player, a shared stash and only a few stats being of any use to any particular character. Maybe Blizzard didn't think this through too well afterall.....
It's a game. Have fun.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: May 31, 2012, 04:52:32 pm »

There's always speculation that when a game gets made simpler that the developers are trying to make the game more 'casual'.  Often times developers also say things like "we want to appeal to the CoD audience".

To some degree, the 'casualization' is an effort to produce video games that don't require any special thought or effort, to make console and PC games equivalent to angry birds.

Basically, what I'm suggesting is that Blizzard wanted a game where they could get 8 million people playing it and using the RMAH, which would probably be harder if people got pissed when they built a totally useless character and couldn't respec whenever.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: June 01, 2012, 12:52:40 am »

Anyway, I decided I'll buy the damn game anyway.

What early skills and runes (from guest-pass/beta) do people still use late into the game in the full version?

I'm thinking that Entangling shot(chain gang), Caltrops (supa-slowed) and Vault (with any rune) will still probably have a place on my DH for a long time to come. CC/AoE attack that's a rage generator, a good CC'er to kite and escape with and a movement escape (that I'll rune with something fun) all seems too useful to not have, regardless of difficulty. Plus rapid-fire (withering fire) uzi's of death, but that's just so I can see how long I can keep a sustained burst going for, not actual practical use (it's already pretty scary with a tiny bit of hate-regen, can't wait for preparation-hate-runed sustained bursts. Should be pulling 30sec+ firetime I hope).
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 01:04:59 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 98