Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 98

Author Topic: Diablo 3  (Read 110991 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo 3
« Reply #630 on: May 29, 2012, 04:56:52 pm »

If by some countries you mean the Asian ones, then maybe.

But if the Asian Market alone determined the success of world-wide release schemes, we'd all be playing some derivative of Lineage 2 by now. The question isn't whether people will play and pay some money into the RMAH. The question is whether it will be the multi-million dollar cash cow over 4 years that Blizzard is hoping it will be. I have my doubts about that, Asian gamers or not. Because if there's no point to it all and gamers realize that, then the market will be driven purely by profit seekers. Who aren't representative of the vast majority of gamers.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: May 29, 2012, 07:18:52 pm »

I come from an Asian country and even I don't think this game has any lasting appeal. Sure, everyone I know played a lot of D2. But only to the point of beating it once or twice.

As far as I know, cybercafes are filled with DotA, Starcraft, and various free MMOs. Never seen people play Diablo in them.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: May 29, 2012, 07:31:53 pm »

What made D2 live for so long was LAN parties, IMO. Removing that functionality in the hopes of making a greater cash return... it makes sense fiscally, but D3 isn't going to be remembered like D2 was.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: May 29, 2012, 07:33:35 pm »

I really enjoy the game, I just don't think the real money AH will be successful.  Part of the replayability of the series is diminished, with no permanence to your character other than gender.  As it stands I have no reason to ever level another wiz, where in diablo 2 you would level a new character to try a different build.

Not sure if its a bad thing, it just pushes all of the entertainment available into your first character.  It was very disappointing as a young lad to get into nightmare as a thorns palidan and have the game chuckle and say nope.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: May 29, 2012, 07:38:56 pm »

The legendaries are a joke

Sadly this is true. I've found better Blues then some legendary items.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: May 29, 2012, 07:44:49 pm »

How are the items shaping up in later game? Are there any particularly good affixes and suffixes? Weird procs? At least things like knockback or stun? (admittedly I got chance-to-knockback in the guest-pass version, I was just wondering if those sorts of things are more common later on).

Do people think that Blizzard will do a bit of a continuous item release system so that there always is a bit of a reason to come back and play? It certainly makes sense with the RMAH, and is a damn easy update for them to do. That little updater can add oodles of items for very little actual d/l'ing (or any real requirement of programming anything proper for an update).
It's a game. Have fun.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: May 29, 2012, 08:25:09 pm »

How are the items shaping up in later game? Are there any particularly good affixes and suffixes? Weird procs? At least things like knockback or stun? (admittedly I got chance-to-knockback in the guest-pass version, I was just wondering if those sorts of things are more common later on).

It's improving, albeit by inches at a time. And it's hard to justify something like +14 Physical Resistance over +200.00 damage. That continues to be the rub. With an entire system built toward 1 primary and 1 secondary stat, other gear stats have to be given out in 3x the amounts to make it a sensible choice. And it seems like Blizzard is deliberately not doing that, or doing it so slowly that many players won't ever bother playing the game for that long.

Do people think that Blizzard will do a bit of a continuous item release system so that there always is a bit of a reason to come back and play?

I highly doubt it. Continuously adding items to the game just because they can isn't something a billion dollar company like Blizzard/Activision does. I have no doubt they'll do a decent expansion pack, tweak the existing systems a bit just like they did with LoD...PvP will be billed as a "free" content update, and maybe they'll do one more for Halloween or something. I believe that'll be the extent of it though. Which is why I'm looking at Inferno going....why? So I can grind for armor that happens to have tons of dex and vitality, and happens to have another stat in a high enough quantity I feel like it's an interesting piece. Meh.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: May 29, 2012, 11:46:02 pm »

Is it sad that I still feel D2 has more replayability at this point? Sure, D3 has been out, what, two weeks now? But it was released in such a state that seems to punish people for getting to 60. I wish they had taken more pages out of Median XL's book on item drops: At least you would get more than the 1 in a million Unique or Legendary, but they wouldn't always be good for your class, let alone your current build. And you could scrap them for creating items of more use to you. And that at least some worthwhile end game content was solo-able even with mediocre gear, enabling you to build up with that and static bonuses (charms) rather than having to base everything on what crappy rolls you got on regular gear as well.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: May 30, 2012, 12:09:07 am »

With the PvP update, they'll no doubt be releasing at least some things for that style of play (as well as mucking around with the ability to stun-lock, slow or teleport to your enemy as easily as current skills seem to make it).

Has anyone gotten a chance-to-cast item? Or even a knock-back item in the 20%+ range?

(my knockback item was Griswold's Worn Tooth, 7.0 massive damage, with a huge 0.6% chance of knockback and 0.003 life regen per second! Why did they bother? Was it an opening teaser for new players?)
It's a game. Have fun.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: May 30, 2012, 12:25:41 am »

I won a guestpass on 4chan today, so I decided to try it out,
my initial reaction was,.. that I liked Diablo 2 better,  the skill system, what have they done?!?
you don't pick and choose your skills, they just.... unlock, so everyone (of the same class) unlocks the same skills at the same level.
but after 2 hours or so it started to grow on me I guess,
I like how there are a million uses for gold, and I like that there is a crafting system (d2 kind of had one, what with the cube and all)

I miss the necromancers and paladins :(

I'm getting the full game for my birthday, (in like 3 weeks)
so I'm going to make one of each class and level them all up to 13 until then.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: May 30, 2012, 01:20:03 am »

I miss necromancers, and pet classes being viable.

Someone ran the numbers on how a Witch Doctor's Gargantuan scales with gear/stats, and they found that vitality had zero effect on its health, only things like dexterity, armor and resists. It went from being able to take two hits to being able to take 4-7, depending on the gear, which is in the beginning of Inferno (the zombies where you start, which don't even do full damage comparable to the act).

And Witch Doctor is supposed to be a pet class of sorts. Miss my summonecro.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: May 30, 2012, 01:26:45 am »

No you don't. Remember when you were playing a summonnecro and everyone used to blame you for lag. Now you'd be the one to blame, ALL THE TIME. Even when playing single player, you would have to blame yourself for your own lag.

"Servers are down again."

"F'ing necro bastards......"
It's a game. Have fun.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: May 30, 2012, 05:54:40 am »

Valid, don't worry. You haven't even properly sampled the game as of yet. Obviously it is different from D2 or there would be no need. They took it in a different direction now and in some ways it's great and some ways it infuriating. Outside of the always on(always down) requirement the game is a lot of fun. Even the most obnoxious critics of the game are spending a ton of time playing still, 2 weeks later.

I expect enchantress and Paladin to be the first 2 classes we see in add-ons, but that is merely speculation based on the companion builds.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: May 30, 2012, 06:05:22 am »

No you don't. Remember when you were playing a summonnecro and everyone used to blame you for lag. Now you'd be the one to blame, ALL THE TIME. Even when playing single player, you would have to blame yourself for your own lag.

"Servers are down again."

"F'ing necro bastards......"

I played a summon necro when I ran my friends through D2 a few months ago, didn't have any lag problems?

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: May 30, 2012, 06:09:11 am »

It used to be way worse when you were able to run around with 60 summons. Unfortunately Bliz patched that out.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 98