Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 98

Author Topic: Diablo 3  (Read 111046 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Diablo 3
« Reply #570 on: May 22, 2012, 07:17:05 am »

I gotta say, I wouldn't really care all that much if someone hacked my battle.net account, even if they wiped me out, so long as they didn't delete the characters. I could re-gear and be playing again in no time really.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: May 22, 2012, 08:43:47 am »

Alright I have a monk at 51 now in hell difficulty, I think it's safe to say I can talk about this game properly.

The game does a lot of things better than its predecessors and a few things worse. The game in general, is pretty damn fun with friends, and aesthetically, at a high quality. The problem with this game is again the comparison to LoD.

Certain things work better. The added inferno difficulty is a nice idea, but I think everything should be bumped down a peg considering normal is way too fucking easy, and a 5th even harder thing should replace inferno. Crafting is a better alternative to gambling, considering gambling was broken as shit and comparable to the AH right now, which I will get to. A much wider range of gems is nice. Action is a lot smoother and more complex in the way that you are actually using more then 1-3 spells compared to diablo 3, where all it was, was just spam 1 or 2 spells depending on your class and how much you wanted to try and play with the spell UI. The way unique/elite monsters work currently I find is better, even though some of them become pretty OP, Sigmund anyone?

Certain things were supposed to be better, but ended up not so. The D2 skill system was pretty shitty, if you wanted to do any serious build, a chunk of those builds had you "saving" points to be dumped into a skill down the tree after a certain level which meant you were doing jack shit until that level. Other builds were just boring as fuck dump 20 points into this passive before carrying on. However the current D3 system isn't the best either. I think a hybrid should have been reached which is about what they originally planned on. Skills should work in the same way as they currently do, but still be split up into archtype trees. I feel a little more permanence should be featured than currently too, maybe a flat gold rate change based on your level or something. Or even as it was in D2, 1 respec per difficulty, and then the respec potion you could create.
Gambling was a mess in D2 because you could just hurrdurr your ass off with a lucky item that you sink all your money into getting, because spending money on anything else was useless. However far rare-er drops were even better though harder to get. That was fine. Currently in D3, item drops make no fucking sense what so ever, and needs to be rehauled, bad. Blues are better than top legendaries. That makes, no, none, never, fuckshitavenue, sense at all. This is also because legendaries have no special stats that they did in D2, but those were added down the road, hopefully the same follows suit here. Bosses usually drop shit, is another problem. Classes can use way too many weapons and gear that don't make sense, instead of being more specialized, and when wizards can wear tank gear and things like that, it's silly. There's a reason they need to use tank spells, not just wear tank gear. The AH is currently the replacement for gambling in terms of use, as it's just, don't spend money on anything except the AH, buy retardedly OP weapons compared to everything else I have found, and cakewalk like every difficulty is normal. This is broken as shit.
I also agreed that the stat points were redundant, but now while playing this I feel they should be back in the game, just in a way that doesn't make them redundant, Ie, HURRDURR STRENGTH TO USE WEAPON DUMP EVERYTHING EVERYTHING EEEEEEEVEEEEEEEEERYYYYYYYYYYTHIIIIIIIIING INTO VITALITY.

Certain things are just fucking retarded. Online always wouldn't be a problem if the servers weren't so shitty. So fuck them for that. I can't imagine how much I'm going to shit my pants when a HC char dies because of server spikes. Game is a little lacking in content, act wise. Act 1 is so fucking long, Act 2 not as much, 3 is pretty short, 4 is short as fuck. They spent a shitload of time working on the acts and such just by themselves, and I don't see that time or effort spent in that department. Weapon affixes really need to be expanded, they're just stupid right now. Gem affixes were better when they all added elemental damages and things like that.

I'm sure there's other things but I can't remember them off the top of my head currently. It's really shitty of blizzard to have these server issues, and now this hacking shit, but I'm not going to say it's a shitty game because of that. Maybe a shitty company and infrastructure, but that's not the game. A lot of these things could be improved down the road and that's just what I'm waiting and hoping for, is the potential of this game to come, just like D2 release till now. But really other then that, the game is pretty good, and it's a blast with friends.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: May 22, 2012, 09:05:59 am »

If you don't have an authenticator on your account you deserve to get hacked ;)

Someone's fanboi is showing. If responsible people need a 2nd tool to keep their accounts safe, the fault isn't on them. It's on Blizzard and their mindless legions of fans who hold them responsible for nothing.

I'm pretty much in agreement Vherid. Particularly on difficulty. We should NOT have to play the game twice before we feel like it's actually challenging us. The fact that it's stupid easy to stack damage made normal mode such a joke to play, it made it that much harder to take EVERYTHING in the game seriously. Their attempt to ease new players and casuals into the harder difficulties netted them a lot of disappointment from people's first run through the game. It was just a dumb decision to scale it down that far.

Gear I completely agree with too. Not only that, the primary stat per class idea is broken as hell, and makes 95% of gear uninteresting and unusable. (Compared to the 80% in D2.) There are literally 3 stats worth caring about on gear, the rest you can take or leave as it comes. I like how one weapon or armor with stupid amounts of your primary attribute can boost your damage two to three-fold. If a weapon happens to have +damage and an attribute and attack speed, you'll probably be using it half the fucking game. Only now in nightmare am I beginning to see more magical item properties, that should have fucking been there since Act 2. All in all, gear feels simplified and I'm not confident it's going to get more diverse, flexible or interesting in higher difficulties. Why they decided to front load the best performing stats right into the beginning of the game makes no sense to me. One Damage 3-6, Attack Speed +% ring in Act 1 is enough to trivialize it.

Latency is becoming a major issue to me. I'm at 1000 milliseconds of latency when I log in to game, and that's actually gotten me killed because the stupid fucking game sets you to your last checkpoint, which, if you were doing a dungeon your last game, guess what! You're probably starting in a spawned dungeon somewhere. And randomly lagging in the middle of combat is starting to royally piss me off, and I'm not even IN the higher difficulties yet really.

And while I'm at it, Act 4:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'd give the game a B, based on its technical quality and the fun of stomping shit. Story, meta-mechanics and several points of execution though, I feel like D3 really missed it. Or at best is incredibly shallow.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 09:17:21 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: May 22, 2012, 06:51:44 pm »

It's not too hard to get your session hijacked, and if you get trojaned (remember, many exploits can download onto your machine without any action on your part) then your attacker CAN log in from your location by making you a proxy of sorts.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #574 on: May 22, 2012, 07:37:15 pm »

I think I'm gonna play some D2 tonight, it sounds more fun still.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: May 22, 2012, 08:00:12 pm »

Have many people tried out some of the less "viable" builds yet? Just for fun/flashyness?

I'm getting the game tomorrow, and I'm hoping that a monk with dashing strike (runed to either stun or slow or 10 spirit) and the +100 spirit passive might be a laugh. A bit of spirit regen/boost, a bit of life leech, the occaisional spirit generating attack and I'm hoping to be whizzing from side to side of monster packs like a meth user asking everyone for a fix.

Hey, it might not be effective, but it will probably look cool. Once I've finished the game (or even the first few difficulties), that's what this will be about for me. Finding niche items and looking really cool while fighting. Just like D2.
It's a game. Have fun.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: May 22, 2012, 08:29:37 pm »

All of the builds could be viable for certain stages/difficulty/hardcore  etc. You need to experiment on builds often and stay adaptive. By the second act you should turn elective mode on in the options and start experimenting with things, because by act 2 of Hell you will have 2 or 3 builds and the same number of equipment sets that you regular switch to suit the challenges. Good luck, have fun and set up SMS account protection.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: May 22, 2012, 08:53:13 pm »

Have many people tried out some of the less "viable" builds yet? Just for fun/flashyness?
Not really, but that's largely because AoE healhappy monk is right up my alley. I will say that getting me to give up Deadly Reach with Piercing Trident is going to be difficult, though. :))
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: May 22, 2012, 09:07:04 pm »

The AH is currently the replacement for gambling in terms of use, as it's just, don't spend money on anything except the AH, buy retardedly OP weapons compared to everything else I have found, and cakewalk like every difficulty is normal. This is broken as shit.

Even more retarded is the fact that you can buy an OP weapon that has a slot, buy a ruby gem way above what you could craft, all for a relatively trivial price, and get a dps way above what you could hope to have otherwise.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: May 22, 2012, 10:57:30 pm »

AH doesn't make Inferno any easier.

Getting through Inferno is an exercise in luck/skill, exploiting as many game mechanics as possible, and ignoring elite champion mobs that insta-gib you.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: May 23, 2012, 01:07:31 am »

I'll have to say, I still don't really get the Wizard class. Everything that it does, everyone else does, but better. Except teleporting.

I'm going to play the hell out of the class tomorrow after work (when I've got the full game) and see what it can actually do, but in the guest pass game the wizard seems the weakest.

Plus, I like uzi's and bondage. And undead minions and bats. And dashing in, around, then through mobs and cracking stuff with piercing trident. I've even got a bit of a thing for ugly, big girls that just need some love. The wizard had better get better
It's a game. Have fun.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: May 23, 2012, 01:18:13 am »

What the Wizard does better then everyone else is high damage AoE. They also can get the highest DPS in the game.

The major problem with the Mage is that they end up simply not working. Outside the exploit their main strategy is to kill enemies before they can get to them and their stall tactics become weaker and weaker as the game goes on.

My mage needs double vitality and 50% more intelligence before he is viable again.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 01:19:50 am by Neonivek »

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: May 23, 2012, 03:33:34 am »

What difficulty settings are you talking about?

I'm a lvl 52 solo wizard, I'm currently on nightmare act 4 end boss. My configuration:
- Blizzard with Snowbound
- Disintegrate with chaos nexus
- Diamond Skin with Crystal Shell
- Magic Weapon with Force Weapon
- Energy Armor with Energy Tap
- Hydra with Lightning Hydra/Poison Hydra depending on my mood

Passive skills "Astral Presence", "Evocation" and "Temporal Flux".

On the act 4 end boss I switched blizzard to magic missile and disintegrate to teleport (+fracture) and it seemed to work well, just need a buff to my hp so I won't die from unlucky combos. Right now I have ~13k hp and (on char screen) ~2,4k damage and armor shows ~43% reduction.

Anyway, my point is, this build seems to work for me very well. Blizzard + temporal flux disintegrate slow down monsters enough that they won't gang up on me. With arcane power increases I can spam blizzard quite a lot. I manage even act 4 monsters easily, only really hard fight this far has been an elite pack (yellow named monster) of teleporting meteor-casting monsters that had "waller vampiric" in their stats. Damn things constantly leeched Tyriel (who I couldn't get rid of) for 100% hp restoration.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 03:41:36 am by Mandaril »
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: May 23, 2012, 08:55:35 am »

Not really, but that's largely because AoE healhappy monk is right up my alley. I will say that getting me to give up Deadly Reach with Piercing Trident is going to be difficult, though. :))

Way of the Hundred Fists is pretty awesome. Single target multi-strike followed by an AoE finisher. Haven't looked back since I unlocked it. I suppose Crippling Wave is better for being surrounded by enemies, but it lacks the DD punch that WotHF and others have.

Having a decent time in Nightmare Mode. So far it's just the super fast, extra-health rares that are making things dicey. Even with my damage still going up by metric shit tons, those rares take a good minute or two to kill.

I'm a little disappointed that mobs haven't been renamed at all, like they were in D2. Sure it's a minor thing but it added a little bit to my immersion to know that I'm killing a harder version of the zombie and not the same zombie with passive multipliers to all its stats. People come down on a palette swaps, but if there's one place it belongs it's in Diablo.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 09:01:17 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: May 23, 2012, 11:29:18 am »

I just got the game, but after I'm done exploring Normal, I will definitely do this:

1. Go to Random.org and roll between 1-5 for your class.
Code: [Select]
1 = Barbarian
2 = Demon Hunter
3 = Monk
4 = Witch Doctor
5 = Wizard
2. Go to the Diablo 3 Skill Calculator and click the chat gem on the bottom to generate an entirely random build. These will be the only skills and passives you can use besides autoattack for your character's entire career, and you must never switch out or substitute abilities. You can use the unruned variant of a skill until you obtain the runed one.

3. (Optional) Go to Wizards.com to generate a (probably dumb) name for yourself.

4. Now of course with an entirely random character, you might feel the urge to cheat a little bit for a particular encounter, or reroll until you get a favorable list of seemingly random skills. We're going by the honor system here, but I'd urge you to resist this temptation and go with the flow -- that's what Random Hardcore is all about! You might get skills that don't synergize well or 1-2 completely useless passives, but it's your mission to make the best of the tools you were given.

Source (Something Awful forums)
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 98