Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 98

Author Topic: Diablo 3  (Read 111267 times)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo 3
« Reply #390 on: May 16, 2012, 08:30:13 pm »

Dang it.  Nothing is more immersion breaking than getting disconnected and having to redo an area.  I guess all those people who complained about the always on DRM were right.  It IS annoying and its happening way to often.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Vel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: May 16, 2012, 08:47:36 pm »

Admittedly.. I don't really get all the complaining about the always on DRM within the context of Diablo 3. Always on DRM is terrible when it impedes the player..

.. but barely anyone even played Diablo 2 offline singleplayer. Why would you, when you could play on closed battle.net alone and then have the /option/ to use that character for multiplayer/trading/whatever in the future?

A lot of the people on the Blizzard forums bitching about how they should've had offline singleplayer with the servers going down would just be turning right around and saying 'OMG BLIZZARD BRING BATTLE.NET BACK UP, WHAT DO YOU EXPECT ME TO DO WASTE MY TIME LEVELING AN OFFLINE SINGLEPLAYER CHARACTER??'  if there was offline singleplayer.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: May 16, 2012, 08:51:59 pm »

Admittedly.. I don't really get all the complaining about the always on DRM within the context of Diablo 3. Always on DRM is terrible when it impedes the player..

.. but barely anyone even played Diablo 2 offline singleplayer. Why would you, when you could play on closed battle.net alone and then have the /option/ to use that character for multiplayer/trading/whatever in the future?

A lot of the people on the Blizzard forums bitching about how they should've had offline singleplayer with the servers going down would just be turning right around and saying 'OMG BLIZZARD BRING BATTLE.NET BACK UP, WHAT DO YOU EXPECT ME TO DO WASTE MY TIME LEVELING AN OFFLINE SINGLEPLAYER CHARACTER??'  if there was offline singleplayer.
I agree. My only complaint is latency when playing 'alone'. I had a lag spike which really caught me off guard; Other than that I would be playing online 100% anyways so I see no issue.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: May 16, 2012, 09:24:54 pm »

barely anyone even played Diablo 2 offline singleplayer. Why would you, when you could play on closed battle.net alone and then have the /option/ to use that character for multiplayer/trading/whatever in the future?

Both me and all of my highschool friends playing diablo 2 when it came out, were playing the singleplayer mode, for the very simple reason that most of us had no internet. This might seem strange to some, but 10 years ago many homes didnt have an internet connection in many countries. Especially in rural areas, where 56k was the best you could get. Probably the biggest obstacle was our tech-illiterate parents.

Maybe i'm generalizing a bit but i don't think i was THAT much of an exception. Also that was in France. I think that the US were a few years ahead of us, as is often the case.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #394 on: May 16, 2012, 09:26:59 pm »

I originally felt this way too, and keep in mind I don't actually have the game, so I can't really understand exactly how bad it is, but I've recently come around to the fact that, it could've been done better (allow offline games once the game has been verified as a legit copy, which was one of the intent's of the DRM I believe), and sometimes, not often, but sometimes you just can't play online for whatever reason, but still feel like playing diablo. I really feel people are overreacting about this, yes, but it's still a totally legit concern in my eyes. Still leagues better then most "only three installs" junk. But it's still an issue.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: May 16, 2012, 09:35:04 pm »

One benefit to playing singleplayer in Diablo II was that I could mod in stupid crap if I wanted to and it didn't matter.  Which I did do.  I also didn't have to worry about having an internet connection, so I could play Diablo II on my laptop out in the middle of nowhere, or in the car for example.

Not that it would be really practical for Diablo III since it would eat up your battery too quickly, but you know what I mean...

Diablo III looks pretty good so far.  Now if only the servers wouldn't keep kicking me...
Through pain, I find wisdom.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: May 16, 2012, 11:50:19 pm »

Because some of us honestly enjoy Diablo more as a SP game than a MP game. If you wanted a character you'd never, ever take online, and you didn't want to deal with Battlenet, you made an offline character. It's as mind-boggling to me that some people never want to unplug, as it is to you that some people want to be unplugged.

And then of course, there's the desire to skip ALL the technical bullshit like outages that Battle.net has so wonderfully demonstrated. That should be pretty self-explanatory.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 12:07:08 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: May 17, 2012, 12:03:42 am »

It's not just about single player, either.  They also screwed over LAN players.  Plenty of people (especially with families, like me) like to get together and game in the same physical space, but don't have access to a strong enough internet connection to support several people using it to play online as smoothly as their router can support several people over their own private network.  Plus, LAN play was the best way to experiment with mods, which extend the enjoyable lifespan of a game by hundreds of hours... but Blizzard decided to make modding illegal, so I suppose that's a moot point  ::)

I'm just going to say it.  People shouldn't buy this game, and reward Blizzard's anti-consumer bullshit.  Even if you think the resulting issues are minor, that doesn't change how flagrantly bad faith these business policies are on principle.  If they can set these terms and still be successful, other companies will think that they can get away with it, too.  I want to see this title crash and burn.  Desperately.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 12:09:54 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #398 on: May 17, 2012, 12:22:15 am »

It won't crash and burn.  The lack of your purchase (and the lack of mine as well) shall do nothing.  They have plenty of hype, first day sales, and a way to lock people in to using their service.

The only thing you can do is reward companies that do make good games with a purchase using the money you saved.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: May 17, 2012, 12:34:06 am »

I'm just going to say it.  People shouldn't buy this game, and reward Blizzard's anti-consumer bullshit.

I didn't want to... the problem is that in order to have fun with friends you unfortunately have to buy the same things they do.

As I play the game more and more I am starting to feel like this game sort of is taking a MMO approach of "Not as fun but the kind of gameplay that makes you play longer".

After this it will be Boarderlands 2...

Also am I halucinating or do the ranged classes do appreciably less damage then the melee ones? I really don't like being a squishy low damage mage but even now all the melee characters in the group I play with do MANY times more damage and can easily fend off whole groups without stacking their passives.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 12:37:24 am by Neonivek »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: May 17, 2012, 12:37:12 am »

Yeah, I know it will still be stupidly successful.  I said shouldn't, not wouldn't.    :(
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #401 on: May 17, 2012, 01:36:38 am »

"Not as fun but the kind of gameplay that makes you play longer".
[/quote]

That was basically diablo 2 to be fair. Give it until the second difficulty, that's about where things start getting interesting in D2, at least. :P

I dunno I guess I'll be more worried about this if they continue the trend. (if they ever make another single player game anyway)

EDIT: Incidentally I'm all about talking with your wallet, while we're on that subject.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 02:00:00 am by Seriyu »

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: May 17, 2012, 02:07:06 am »

I'm just going to say it.  People shouldn't buy this game, and reward Blizzard's anti-consumer bullshit.  Even if you think the resulting issues are minor, that doesn't change how flagrantly bad faith these business policies are on principle.  If they can set these terms and still be successful, other companies will think that they can get away with it, too.  I want to see this title crash and burn.  Desperately.

Shame you won't ever see it crash and burn because it's actually an incredibly good game.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: May 17, 2012, 02:38:57 am »

Exactly my stance in regards to Apple products and now Blizzard's. We as customers may not see the outcome of supporting such companies now, but we're justifying and reinforcing their decisions by buying the game. In the long run, we the customers are ones to lose out.

Please do not view this as a person bashing the game. This is an opinion based on protecting the interest of customers (you and I). The game may be amazing (opinions vary) but Blizzard's policies are definitely not.

The game will not fail financially due to the hype and for those of you who have bought the game, fine, just have fun with it. For those considering to buy Diablo III, I won't dictate you what to do with your hard-earned cash, but please reconsider your decision.

Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: May 17, 2012, 02:48:50 am »

And for those thinking of buying this and I recommend to you to buy it purely because I'm not a self righteous person who thinks 'BLIZZARD IS TEH DEVIL!!!!!'

That and it's a great game :p
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 98