Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 98

Author Topic: Diablo 3  (Read 111272 times)

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo 3
« Reply #345 on: May 16, 2012, 06:26:15 am »

Act 1 on normal is really just a tutorial. Can you click, do you know that sometimes stuff will crawl out of nowhere, do you know how to use npcs and get the next quest.

It was all the open beta was and any character could beat it easily.

(I was so close to making a joke about having more fun with just one hand then, but I didn't. At all).
It's a game. Have fun.

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 16, 2012, 06:32:36 am »

Wut @ comparing GW2 (an MMO) to Diablo 3 (a hack'n'slash rpg)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 16, 2012, 06:34:42 am »

No not comparing the Game Styles, more the entertainment value...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 16, 2012, 06:36:12 am »

You said the gameplay of D3 seems shallow, that gameplay being of a hack'n'slash. Surely that's comparing them? Comparing that kind of a game to a hugely varied game like GW2 just seems a bit silly.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 16, 2012, 06:38:00 am »

Well, for those of you who said you won't buy D3, I have a copy of the original Torchlight available if you want it.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 16, 2012, 06:39:42 am »

You said the gameplay of D3 seems shallow, that gameplay being of a hack'n'slash. Surely that's comparing them? Comparing that kind of a game to a hugely varied game like GW2 just seems a bit silly.
What I am saying myself is that IF GW2 was released at the same time as D3, I would be getting GW2 no matter what, I was having more fun there then in D3. As a Hack&Slash I didn't feel like I was fully in control, dodging ranged attacks is near impossible sometimes due to having to click else where WHERE CLICKING ALSO ATTACKS!?!?! So many times did I try for a dodge of a range attack and instead of moving I attacked. I wasn't having as much fun, I didn't feel drawn into it as I would have if I was playing GW2...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 16, 2012, 07:05:35 am »

So, how many more people are going to drop by and junk up the thread by announcing they Won't Play It Ever, before we can discuss the game?

Not that I don't love arguments and complaints that are several years old but...... oh wait.. that thing I just said.

Says the guy who did just that in the Torchlight 2 thread. ;)

The horrible decisions made in developing the game are just as worthy of discussion as every other part of the game.

it seems people are viewing the past through rose tinted glasses. Google some major games you enjoyed and add the words rocky launch. This phrase has been used a lot since 2008. Every FPS and EVERY MMO have had trouble with people being able to play them for the first few days. The problem is clearly with the game companies treating us like drug addicts who line up for the abuse with our money in hand. Can't blame them. I don't like it, but we just keep going along with it.

Skyrim, Rage, MW3/2/1, every MMORPG, Batman series, Brink, Dead Island, Darkspore, Fallout 3, Fable 3, etc.

Again, MMO's don't count because by their very nature they're way more prone to have server issues, and there is no singleplayer. As for the rest, only some of those games had anything near a rocky launch, and the ones that did are still in the minority. Skyrim, MW3/2/1, fallout 3, brink, batman series... These were all playable at launch with hardly any problems. I can't find anything saying fable 3 had a rocky launch. They may have had some bugs, but you could put the disc in and play the game. My point is that yeah, some games have bugs at launch, but there's a HUGE difference between a product having problems, and a product being unusable. And it's doubly annoying when the product is unusable because of asenine DRM.

Saying that there hasn't ever been a major game release that wasn't rendered unplayable for 1-2 days at launch is just insane.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: May 16, 2012, 07:47:21 am »

Fenrif, I have the utmost respect for you and your opinion and personal experience. The fact is that those games all had significant populations of people who couldn't play the game they bought for 1-2+ days due to registering, broken product, online issues etc. Always online is indeed ludicrous but let's not lose all perspective.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 16, 2012, 07:53:24 am »

How long did it take you guys who've already finished this to finish it?

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 16, 2012, 08:09:46 am »

How long did it take you guys who've already finished this to finish it?

Depends what you mean by finishing it. Once you've completed normal mode there are 3 other modes which you progress through the same acts with increasing difficulty.

If you mean how long it takes to complete the normal mode, I'm level 29 and played about 10 hours and about 1-2 hours into Act 3.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: May 16, 2012, 08:40:04 am »

I got past the Skeleton King last night, and right as we get back to town to unload.....Server goes bye-bye, again. I really hope Day 2 is better, and that Blizzard did whatever the hell it needed to do, to ensure stability.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 16, 2012, 09:09:01 am »

Diablo 3 is an MMO in every sense but the fact that you can party up with 40 other people.  Login/Internet required, some (if not all) AI handled by server, characters and items stored server side, relative location in the world synced with the server at all times, and from what I read, even the worlds are generated server side.  D3 is a client application to connect to the Diablo3 world hosted on the cloud.  Without that server, you have no game.

I feel it's fair to compare D3 to any MMO on the market.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: May 16, 2012, 09:20:25 am »

Diablo 3 is an MMO in every sense but the fact that you can party up with 40 other people.  Login/Internet required, some (if not all) AI handled by server, characters and items stored server side, relative location in the world synced with the server at all times, and from what I read, even the worlds are generated server side.  D3 is a client application to connect to the Diablo3 world hosted on the cloud.  Without that server, you have no game.

I feel it's fair to compare D3 to any MMO on the market.

I don't, if only for the fact it'd be one of the most limited MMOs out there in terms of content and interaction. D3 is a SP/Co-Op game loaded down with retarded MMO sensibilities.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 16, 2012, 09:26:09 am »

Diablo 3 is an MMO in every sense but the fact that you can party up with 40 other people.

So it's a massively multiplayer online game in every sense but the fact that it's not massive and isn't necessarily multiplayer? Gotcha.  :P

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 16, 2012, 09:36:32 am »

Diablo 3 is not an MMO. It's that simple.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 98